PC as hotspot for wireless streaming

ccc

My current feedback on this is It works, but it kinda sucks. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely usable and not a bad solution.
But after testing with a dedicated router, which is only Wi-Fi 802.11ac, my experience improved from "okay but a little disappointing" to "I think it works perfect".

So if someone is not sure which way to go, I'd definitely recommend getting a dedicated router.
But I'm happy to here, if others have better experiences going the hotspot route.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I've been exploring the feasibility of using a mobile hotspot for Oculus Quest/Quest 2 headsets and here's what I found:

• Hotspot Compatibility:

• Both Oculus Quest and Quest 2 can connect to a mobile hotspot.

• This applies to iPhones (iOS) and Android devices, like Samsung and Xiaomi.

• Setting Up a Hotspot:

• Creating a hotspot on your smartphone is straightforward, regardless of the brand.

• There are online guides for specific phone models if needed.

• Data Usage Considerations:

• Downloading games can consume significant data, with some games like "The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners" being around 8GB.

• Online gaming data usage varies; for example, playing Rec Room used about 350 MB per hour in my test.

• Streaming Limitations:

• Streaming content like movies or YouTube videos can quickly exhaust monthly data limits.

• Network Requirements and Troubleshooting:

• Ensure your mobile plan supports hotspot usage and check for any data limits.

• Quest headsets may require a stable network; weak signals can cause issues.

• Switching the broadcast channel to 5GHz may help if the Quest does not detect the 2.4GHz hotspot.

• Resetting network settings on the phone and recreating the hotspot can resolve connection problems.

Using a mobile hotspot is a viable option for Quest headsets, especially for gaming and basic browsing. Feel free to check out my post for more information on any of these points!