PC as hotspot for wireless streaming

ccc

My PC is connected by ethernet to my wifi 5 router. If I connect the XR Elite to the router's wifi network, I can connect to my PC wirelessly and the PCVR streaming works through VIVE Streaming Hub + SteamVR.

My PC has a wifi 6 card, and I would like to use it as a hotspot to create a direct connection to the XR Elite for better bandwidth and without other traffic. In Windows 10, I can create a 'mobile hotspot' network and I can connect the XR Elite to this network. However, I can't see my PC from this network, and have no way of connecting to it wirelessly. I also don't see any setting in VIVE Streaming Hub about using such a hotspot network.

I know that the Oculus can connect directly to PC hotspots via Virtual Desktop: 

Is this possible with only VIVE Streaming Hub, or will it be possible? Otherwise, how can I do this with Virtual Desktop on the XR Elite?

I tried this setup (win 11 hotspot with wifi6e card intel ax210)

And it works, but performance is pretty low. The reason is that Windows hotspot with 20Mhz bandwidth on 5Ghz and that's a bit shit honestly. There is currently no way to change the channel width on windows hotspot 😞

On 3/31/2023 at 1:05 AM, Wummi said:

I tried this setup (win 11 hotspot with wifi6e card intel ax210)

And it works, but performance is pretty low. The reason is that Windows hotspot with 20Mhz bandwidth on 5Ghz and that's a bit shit honestly. There is currently no way to change the channel width on windows hotspot 😞

Can you please explain how you set up the connection?

@Kevin chen

Can you (or anyone else) confirm you got this to work with the XR Elite?  I can only get wireless streaming to work for me if I have an intermediary router.  When I try to use it as a hotspot, the headset never detects the PC's network (but other devices can see it just fine).  I am hoping it is just an issue with the wireless card I currently have, but I was hoping someone can verify they have it working with the XR Elite connecting to a PC hotspot (since the above video is used with a Quest), since HTC's streaming page specifically says to not try using a hotspot...  

While currently having other problems with streaming over Wi-Fi. I can confirm that connecting to the hotspot(Wi-Fi 802.11ax) and establishing a connection to streaming hub in general works.
And the problems I have, are also there when I'm using my intermediary router (Which is only Wi-Fi 802.11ac), so I guess it should work, if streaming over Wi-Fi works in general for you.

May I can fully confirm this, once I will be able to resolve my problems with the help of VIVE support.

On 4/5/2023 at 11:44 PM, Hextaku said:

While currently having other problems with streaming over Wi-Fi. I can confirm that connecting to the hotspot(Wi-Fi 802.11ax) and establishing a connection to streaming hub in general works.
And the problems I have, are also there when I'm using my intermediary router (Which is only Wi-Fi 802.11ac), so I guess it should work, if streaming over Wi-Fi works in general for you.

May I can fully confirm this, once I will be able to resolve my problems with the help of VIVE support.

On 4/6/2023 at 7:20 AM, C.T. said:

PC hotspot works okay most of time, but it sometimes adds the loading to your PC system.
So, we still recommand to get a decent router for wireless PC streaming. 

@Kevin chen, @Hextaku, @C.T.:

Thanks for the lively discussion. Can you please indicate whether only VIVE Streaming Hub + SteamVR are necessary, or I need to purchase Virtual Desktop? I am unable to see the desktop to connect to when I connect the Vive XR Elite to my PC's hotspot network (Windows Hotspot, AX200). My PC has wired ethernet. I'd really appreciate some detailed steps on trying out this connection.

You only need Streaming Hub and SteamVR. Virtual Desktop is just an VR App that also has its own Solution for streaming over network.
But the version of Virtual Desktop is yet to be released, but this also shouldn't be too far in the future.

There is a full video guide on how to set everything up:

I think that explains everything you need. If this doesn't help, let me/us know. Then it's probably something about your hotspot setup.

• Like 1