XR Elite Streaming Extreme Stutter when Focus 3 is fine

ChrisMa130

• 6 months later...

I think I'm in the same boat - switched from Focus 3 to XR Elite and wireless PCVR performance is really unstable. It just craps out at some random point and then won't recover, whereas with the Focus 3 I had zero issues for three years with basically the same hardware (some upgrades along the way). The interval at which the connection drops is unpredictable; sometimes I can get an hour or more out of it with flawless performance and other times I'm lucky to get 10 minutes. Does anyone with an XR Elite have it running perfectly without issue? Please share your configuration, I'd be very interested in finding a solution to this problem. For reference, I've tried VBS, Vive Hub and Virtual Desktop and done all of the usual troubleshooting steps.

@Alex_HTC @C.T. I'd love to get a response on how to get the XR Elite stable for wireless PCVR streaming, because I'm two weeks into troubleshooting now and I can't get this resolved. Please tell me what router or access point you know will work reliably and with which settings used and I will purchase it immediately. If it's a fundamental design flaw with the XR Elite and we're limited to USB streaming, then tell me so I can move on.

I'm also working with support, but they don't seem to acknowledge the issue either.

I can't edit my post so I'll just leave this here: my issue was resolved by moving to the MR gasket instead of the 2.0 gasket. My unit appears to have been overheating from the proximity to my face and the MR gasket allows for more airflow on the side of the lenses. Not exactly thrilled with having to use the MR gasket, but whatever.

@thedrone That is interesting as I noticed more substantial streaming issues after moving to the V2 gasket (from the original one). I'm not sure where the Wi-fi antenna is, but i'd bet it's around the face gasket area. I'll switch back to the V1 gasket and see.

On 7/17/2024 at 9:44 AM, Beta_Tester said:

@thedrone That is interesting as I noticed more substantial streaming issues after moving to the V2 gasket (from the original one). I'm not sure where the Wi-fi antenna is, but i'd bet it's around the face gasket area. I'll switch back to the V1 gasket and see.

The antenna is positioned above the left lens and I can actually feel that part of the headset being significantly warmer when I'm using the face gasket 2.0 versus the MR one (I've only tried the original one briefly, but didn't like it). I wish I could extract some logs from the device to confirm my sensory perceptions though. I love this thing with the face gasket 2.0 (favorite VR headset out of many that I own or tried), but I'm not a fan of the MR one. I'm probably going to perforate the face gasket 2.0 and see where that gets me. Or maybe I'll get a USB splitter and an external 40mm fan.

Hopefully HTC acknowledges the issue and there's something they can do do with their fan tuning to optimize for the reduced convection from the more enclosed face area, that would be ideal.

6 hours ago, thedrone said:

The antenna is positioned above the left lens and I can actually feel that part of the headset being significantly warmer when I'm using the face gasket 2.0 versus the MR one (I've only tried the original one briefly, but didn't like it). I wish I could extract some logs from the device to confirm my sensory perceptions though. I love this thing with the face gasket 2.0 (favorite VR headset out of many that I own or tried), but I'm not a fan of the MR one. I'm probably going to perforate the face gasket 2.0 and see where that gets me. Or maybe I'll get a USB splitter and an external 40mm fan.

Hopefully HTC acknowledges the issue and there's something they can do do with their fan tuning to optimize for the reduced convection from the more enclosed face area, that would be ideal.

yes, please submit a log via the launcher -> settings -> report issue. 
Even though the thermal does have possibility to impact Wi-Fi throughput, but I highly doubt is from gasket itself. 
Coz Wi-Fi antenna isn't near the lens, but on the outer part of the glasses. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, C.T. said:

yes, please submit a log via the launcher -> settings -> report issue. 
Even though the thermal does have possibility to impact Wi-Fi throughput, but I highly doubt is from gasket itself. 
Coz Wi-Fi antenna isn't near the lens, but on the outer part of the glasses. 

Thanks for jumping in - it is much appreciated. I'd be happy to send in a log. One question: how far back does the log go? Do I need to trigger the issue within x amount of days, for example?

On 7/19/2024 at 7:50 PM, thedrone said:

Thanks for jumping in - it is much appreciated. I'd be happy to send in a log. One question: how far back does the log go? Do I need to trigger the issue within x amount of days, for example?

The log will remain unless you restart the headset.