Windows freeze with coil whine when turning off Vive Console or SteamVR (Vive Pro 2)

Cubano

Okay, so the recommended method to turn off the headset is by turning off the Vive console fitst. 

No matter  if I turn off the Vive console or SteamVR first  , then on the steamvr window we can see " Closing..." (quite normal as always)  but then   Windows freezes with the  coil whine -  The only help is to turn off the Linkbox - then after a few seconds appears the other steamvr window with the information about steamVR error. Then I click on "exit steamVR" and it turns off normally. 

I ve searched through the web and I found one solution that seems to work but not always tho. Someone suggested that "Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling" should be  turned OFF in Windows. 2-3 times it helped, but another time the problem occured again. Turnin this option off is not a good solution for gamers either. So I turned it ON again. 

Any suggestions from here?

Vive Pro 2

Vive Console 2.1.23.2

SteamVR 2.3.5

Windows 11 Pro

• 1 month later...

Hey!

hope you're still around.

This problem has been bugging me since i've got my VP2 in 22.
Neither the HTC Support, nor the Steam Support seem to have any interest in solving or even acknowledging this and the VP2 is seemingly abandoned anyways, as you can tell from the post frequency here.

So i've been tracing the problem down myself with "process monitor" to get an idea whats happening at all when closing the vive console/steamvr.

I need to investigate further, but for now it seems that the problems are caused by different writing behaviour for shaders with both programs involved and on top the excessive logging behaviour of the Vive Console.

When i delete everything in (just skip when a file is in use, delete everything else):

Logs:

C:\ProgramData\HTC\ViveSoftware\ViveVRRuntime\logs
C:\ProgramData\HTC\ViveSoftware\WaveConsole\Log

Shaders:
C:\Users\<yourwindowsaccountname>\AppData\Local\D3DSCache
C:\Users\<yourwindowsaccountname>\AppData\LocalLow\NVIDIA\PerDriverVersion\DXCache

it succeeds in 8/10 cases to successfully quit VR without a crash.
The problem is seemingly that Vive Console writes to one, SteamVR to the other shader cache and the shaders get corrupted for an unknown reason when quitting VR.

You can try this without any harm, shader caches get rebuild anyways when starting a game.

These aren't my final results of the problem, but for me valid workaround to get some peace when using this otherwise really gread VR Headset.
Got a shortcut for this on my Stream Deck and i'm going to code a little tool for this.
When i can find more, i will share this here, if permitted. :)

On 3/16/2024 at 4:51 PM, SeleneWoS said:

Hey!

hope you're still around.

This problem has been bugging me since i've got my VP2 in 22.
Neither the HTC Support, nor the Steam Support seem to have any interest in solving or even acknowledging this and the VP2 is seemingly abandoned anyways, as you can tell from the post frequency here.

So i've been tracing the problem down myself with "process monitor" to get an idea whats happening at all when closing the vive console/steamvr.

I need to investigate further, but for now it seems that the problems are caused by different writing behaviour for shaders with both programs involved and on top the excessive logging behaviour of the Vive Console.

When i delete everything in (just skip when a file is in use, delete everything else):

Logs:

C:\ProgramData\HTC\ViveSoftware\ViveVRRuntime\logs
C:\ProgramData\HTC\ViveSoftware\WaveConsole\Log

Shaders:
C:\Users\<yourwindowsaccountname>\AppData\Local\D3DSCache
C:\Users\<yourwindowsaccountname>\AppData\LocalLow\NVIDIA\PerDriverVersion\DXCache

it succeeds in 8/10 cases to successfully quit VR without a crash.
The problem is seemingly that Vive Console writes to one, SteamVR to the other shader cache and the shaders get corrupted for an unknown reason when quitting VR.

You can try this without any harm, shader caches get rebuild anyways when starting a game.

These aren't my final results of the problem, but for me valid workaround to get some peace when using this otherwise really gread VR Headset.
Got a shortcut for this on my Stream Deck and i'm going to code a little tool for this.
When i can find more, i will share this here, if permitted. 🙂

Just wondering, do you use the vive console on SteamVR or the vive one.

On 3/22/2024 at 5:25 PM, SeleneWoS said:

At the moment the one installed over Steam, but the problem is the same with the standalone one.

Also beta/stable doesn't really affect the problem at all.

Hey both,

We've prepared a special line for you to try with, can you share the result after? 
BetaPreview1
image.thumb.png.837c5f7f9c0ddec06d2a991727082ae8.png

Hey C.T.,

as promised:

The first test was quite successful today! Looks very good.

No coil whine any more, no freeze and the Vive Console and SteamVR closed nice and easy without any error. 😄

But i think one think isn't enough to tell if it is completely fixed. I will test it  more the next days, when i have more time to do so and report back to you 🙂

Thank you and the team so far!

3 hours ago, SeleneWoS said:

Hey C.T.,

as promised:

The first test was quite successful today! Looks very good.

No coil whine any more, no freeze and the Vive Console and SteamVR closed nice and easy without any error. 😄

But i think one think isn't enough to tell if it is completely fixed. I will test it  more the next days, when i have more time to do so and report back to you 🙂

Thank you and the team so far!

That’s great, keep us posted.

Hey C.T.,

sorry for the little delay, easter holidays are kinda stressful here  🙂

I could test this this now way more and it seems that you guys did it!

The whole coil whining and Windows freeze issue is completely gone with this beta preview! This is absolutely amazing 😄

You can't believe how good that feels after 2 years of constant trying to troubleshoot it from my side. 🙂

May i ask what you guys changed from a technical side? The only difference i noticed is, that the Vive Console asks for elevated rights when i turn the Linkbox on.

Thank you, really 😄