There is no tracking status info for handtracking since VBS 1.15.9a beta

In my Unreal Engine 5.3 OpenXR application in the XRMotionControllerData structure the Tracking Status field is always Not Tracked so it is not possible to determine whether the given hand is tracked or not.

There is a Valid flag in this structure, but it does not show correctly the tracking status. Example: When the right hand is not tracked (not visible) then the left hand's Valid status is always true, even if the left hand is not visible. The left hand's Valid flag is updated when the right hand becomes visible.

1.14.8a public version works correctly, there is correct Tracking Status, so I can handle hand tracking lost event.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For hand tracking, there is an issue in UE5 as we know, which will be fixed in UE 5.5.

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/a79711c837e7e9395ea83a3409e95ef4fd1cd0ef

The root cause is that UE added an additional check for the tracking status, which references the OpenXR controller's grip pose instead of the hand tracking pose. Currently this can be avoid by not checking hand tracking status.

VBS 1.14.8a takes SteamVR path for OpenXR hand tracking, and SteamVR will send controller grip pose even there is no controller. That is the reason it worked. In VBS 1.15, we bypass SteamVR with OpenXR API layer for hand tracking to get rid of incorrect hand skeleton due to SteamVR path and reduce the latency.

In case, you still prefer SteamVR path for OpenXR hand tracking, you can disable the correspondent API layer in SteamVR settings.

• Thanks 1

@jiunlin thank you for the information.

I need the hand tracking status, otherwise hands remain frozen in the scene at lost tracking event. It seems I have no other choice than use SteamVR path for OpenXR hand tracking.

Could you help me how to "disable the correspondent API layer in SteamVR settings", please? In my SteamVR OpenXR settings window, there are no API layers, that I can turn on/off: 

image.png.167813a25a9062b552c287a604b0c503.png

@jiunlin, on an other computer the API layers list is populated with 3 items, so I can switch off Vive OpenXR Hand Tracking API:

image.png.7efba604021936e6be2d9f37c98d7a66.png

This solved the problem, I have the correct tracking status for hand tracking again (VBS 1.15.11c). Thank you for the hint.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, 

I'm using UE5.3 and VBS 1.15.11c. I use Focus3 and package on Windows.

What happened in VBS 1.15 is that hands are always located at the center of my playground, and I can NOT use steam UI to re-center the starting position. I do not use controller but my hand. When I try to open the steam UI using my left hand, the circle shows as if steam is going to open but nothing happens.

@Infinit the picture you uploaded is not available now. Can you help me with what you did to solve your issue?