Can't Install Vive Desktop App

Dazers

that's the product of an over 5yr old win7 install slowly degrading. It's only more recently that the gfx and RAM hasn't been showing up though. I already have spoken to the support people who are looking into if that might affect things or not

Nope, for some reason they aren't showing up in My Computer properties any longer. They show in various othr things though. Is this the reason for the crash, or just coincidental? If it's the reason it's not too good a one, because all other things install, run, and play fine. I'm on Audioshield most days on the Vive ;)

Software installation relys heavily on the information that the Operating System can provide to the installer tool. If, for any reason, the installer cannot access the required information, an error may occur.

From the screenshots and video provided, the software is unable to access system memory on your system and thus cannot continue operation. We were unable to reproduce this error in any way, on multiple systems and configurations. The software is functioning as intended and it does not appear to be a bug. 

Thank you,

-John C

OK, so if that is definitely the reason for this error, why is it the reason? Given that all other software/game/driver installers work fine, what is it specifically about the viveport installer that requires this specific piece of information, and why does it crash when it doesn't get it? Is this information vital for the install, or has the program just been written such that a lack of information is confusing and causes it to crash? Obviously the memory and gfx itself can be accessed, as the OS and games run and I can use the Vive just fine, it's just this 'status' in the My Computer properties. Detailed info on all the components are easily read in things like cpu-z and my radeon drivers.

So, and I'm not wanting to sound accusatory here, is this a critical unavoidable problem, or one from a coding perspective? There are plenty of great webmasters/server admins who code wonderfully for when everything works as it's intending, but forget to put in non-critical exceptions as they're not anticipated, and when something as simple as a field is left blank or has an incorrect character, everything siezes up. Whilst not a bug exactly, I would consider that something to be optimised if possible :)

• 1 year later...

FWIW, I'm having the same issue on my machine. I cannot launch the Viveport Desktop app. It's a brand new build, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Asus Prime X299-Deluxe Mobo, 64GB G. Skill DDR4, EVGA GTX1080 FTW. All latest drivers and firmware for every component.

When I try to launch Viveport from within Steam VR, it just gets stuck on launching and never gets there now. Every other software app I've installed installs fine, but not the Viveport Desktop app. Any suggestions on what to look for or how to remedy it?

I used the Vive Uninstall app and tried to reinstall. When I get almost through the process, the installation app has an issue with finding an .msi file and then, if I browse to a different recently created folder that HAS the msi named file in it, it tells me it's invalid.

Archived