Microsoft Surface Book 2 to HTC VIVE PRO HMD KIT- HELP HELP HELP!

andrewtric

So yea, the 'COMPOSITOR IS NOT FULLSCREEN' kept poping out, even if i switched to DIRECT  MODE (It works once! Pretty sure theres something can be done) and then after I restarted it all back to normal.

Saw some posts around the internet saying clicking on the screen and I've tried that too.

This is my last barrier for the VR trip! Hopefully can sort this out soonest!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes the HMD is functional, and I've played a little game for 10minutes, and its amazing! But then its all not functioning again (202 error).

What I seen is the screen below- (My projection was set to be an EXTENDED mode) but strangely this Compositor still stucked in my main screen here) 

So my display was set to extended mode as below:

So when i did a print screen, it shown two screens (I think the extended screen on the right is the VIVE PRO screen). For some reason, the COMPOSITOR stucked with my main display and not going to the right! and no matter how I clicked on the compositor windows, o r move my mouse to the right and trying to click on it... it doesn't seems working.

, Unfortunately since this seems like a pretty hardware specific issue - I would need that exact model of notebook on hand to reproduce and understand your individual user experience. The goal isn't to be in "extended mode" but to be in "direct mode" as "extended mode" causes all sorts of compositor issues and can force the HMD's framerate to diverge from the intended 90hz. Doing a print screen is always a little funky when dealing with extended setups but it seems like it's thinks there are 3 overall displays? 

I would recommend continuing to experiment until you find a reliable procedure to launch the compositor. Aim to get "direct mode" working if possible rather than using extended mode.

Yea I will keep exploring! Spoke to a guy that connected the surface book to a Vive 2yrs ago, but now I will need to get this work (Microsoft Surface Book 2 to this VIVE PRO), I think it’s just some setting issue!

My machine is below:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/p/surface-book-2/8mcpzjjcc98c/fmj1?invsrc=search&cl_vend=google&cl_ch=sem&cl_camp=975736685&cl_adg=49458848398&cl_crtv=231344142643&cl_kw=microsoft%20surface%20book%202&cl_pub=google.com&cl_place=&cl_dvt=m&cl_pos=1t1&cl_mt=e&cl_gtid=aud-372460379507:kwd-300544647803&cl_pltr=&cl_dim0=WxTnuAAABL0j7BgM:20180704004832:s&OCID=AID695933_SEM_WxTnuAAABL0j7BgM:20180704004832:s&s_kwcid=AL!4249!3!231344142643!e!!g!!microsoft%20surface%20book%202&ef_id=WxTnuAAABL0j7BgM:20180704004832:s

I have the 15 inches, top range of i7 8650U, 16GB ram and NVDIA GTX 1060 with 6GB GPU. Connected with SURFACE DOCK. Can you please help to see if there are any setting I can get to make thing work? Thanks!

, since you're using a dock to connect the Pro, there are all sorts of additional complexities that are very difficult to account for. It looks like the dock relies on a registry file to scrape it's settings - that may be a path worth exploring. It looks like the surface may use Windows 10 S. 

Thanks  and just downloaded the registry file and will try to reconnect my VIVE PRO at home later. I've a chat with this guy from Intel, he told me not to install the VIVE software, but start only with STEAM. 

'My experience was as follows in 2016 was as follows. I installed Steam on the Surface Book. I connected my Vive Headset. I installed SteamVR, ran through set up. The start up tutorial started but was extremely slow. After that I installed Tilt Brush and that launched and ran better because most of the scene is empty space

'. I will reinstall everything this evening to try too. Below was his article on Intel:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2016/06/28/getting-a-microsoft-surface-book-to-work-with-steamvr

Just wonder, if he able to connect his old version of Surface Book to VIVE; it must be a way for me to connect my Surface Book 2 with the VIVE PRO! Thank you very much  for being patient with me! 

Archived