Vive Losing Tracking

Gappy413

I've been having this problem ever since I've gotten my HTC Vive. Randomly during gameplay it will lose tracking. Sometimes there will be the windows disconnecting and connecting noise, so I think it might have something to do with the USB connection but I'm not sure. I've included an error log from the most recent occurrences. Any help would be appreciated.

SteamVR-2019-08-31-AM_12_42_44.txt

• Like 1

I'm having a similar issue but only with the Wireless Adapter.  I have an Original VIVE and Wireless Adapter. Sometimes I'll only get one grey screen in about 4 hour gameplay and disconnecting and connecting noises.  Then some days I'll get 4 or 5 grey screens. Occasionally I'll get a black screen and I have to reboot Vive and Vive Wireless to get it back. 

HtcCU_20190903_192746_1892.txt

Edited by Eagle1234

@Eagle1234

First thing to do is check all the connections and make sure everything is plugged in firmly where it's supposed to be. It's possible that during play, the movement could eventually pull something loose depending on how vigorous your activity is.

If that seems fine, the next step would be reinstall your Vive drivers. You can do this through the SteamVR settings.

Thank you,

-Jack S

@Eagle - in the case of the completely black screen, it sounds like something is physically coming unplugged, at least momentarily. The prime suspect in that case would be the USB-A -> USB-A cable that connects the power back to the HMD - it may have developed a minor break/short that only occurs when the cable is flexed in a certain way, or it may simply be becoming unseated at one one of the cable.

• 2 weeks later...

@Synthesis @VibrantNebula  Thank you for your suggestions. 

I did make sure that all my cables were snug when it grey screens.  I also reinstalled Vive Drivers. No noticeable change.

As for VibrantNebula suggestions on the black screen; I did buy new cables to test and had the same effect.  I was on a VR game "The Forest" when the headset video went black.  No audio or video transmission was going to the headset.  Then I waited for a bit (around 2 min) and the black screen went to grey screen with sounds of connections to the windows 10 PC then to the game where I left off.  As a note when this happened I took the headset off and looked over at the PC screen and saw that the game was still running as I saw things moving.  It was just showing my headset on the ground even tho I was still holding it.  As for the cables they aren't HTC brand but I used them and had no noticeable difference in gameplay than before with the standard HTC supplied cable. I also used the Valve Index Controller charging Cable.

I7-7700k @5Ghz

16GB Ram

GTX1080SC

@Synthesis @VibrantNebula  Thank you for your suggestions. 

I did make sure that all my cables were snug when it grey screens.  I also reinstalled Vive Drivers. No noticeable change.

As for VibrantNebula suggestions on the black screen; I did buy new cables to test and had the same effect.  I was on a VR game "The Forest" when the headset video went black.  No audio or video transmission was going to the headset.  Then I waited for a bit (around 2 min) and the black screen went to grey screen with sounds of connections to the windows 10 PC then to the game where I left off.  As a note when this happened I took the headset off and looked over at the PC screen and saw that the game was still running as I saw things moving.  It was just showing my headset on the ground even tho I was still holding it.  As for the cables they aren't HTC brand but I used them and had no noticeable difference in gameplay than before with the standard HTC supplied cable. I also used the Valve Index Controller charging Cable.

I7-7700k @5Ghz

16GB Ram

GTX1080SC

HtcCU_20190915_135902_18676.txt

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I too have had the same problem. I regularly play Blades and Sorcery and Pavlov both of which run very well on Vive Wireless. After playing for some time I've found that the HMD will go from working to a Blue Screen then black and I hear my computer disconnect a device then after a couple seconds reconnect. The game still runs in the background and I am able to keep playing after it reconnects. More recently though it's become a much larger issue. I found that the default wireless cord that connects the Battery to the Wireless module has become frayed, this could be what was causing the problem. I'm certain that my graphics card and processor are not the issue in that they have ran fine in the earlier moments of use. I'm now thinking that maybe the internals of the wireless module rattle just slightly enough to disconnect the power for a split second.

• 2 years later...

Weird thing that HTC don't know about their own stuff. Some time ago I reached them via chat and after doing some tests and sending them some logs they asked me to send my equipment, as they told me that my equipment had an issue. Question is I'm from Brazil and it would take lots of time to send it and have it back. So I started an investigation and saw that lots of people were having the same issue as me.

I tried everything. Formated my PC, unplugged all USB PCI-e cards, my AVerMedia card - which I'm still not using as I still don't have a mirrorless camera and I'm still using my Logitech Brio - installed fans on the top of vive wireless, switched the WiGig card to every free slot and I still kept having the disconnection issue. I started messing with everything that was possible, even disabling the anti virus and everything you can't even imagine - for months - and nothing worked.

Then I searched for the folder in which the exe to start vive wireless is found. There are some extra exe files over there and I started running every each of them. Then I found a file called PCIeGenConfig.exe. I ran it and it opened a window with an option to enable PCIeGen setting. And then... ta-daaaaah! My disconnection issue was simply gone!!! It seems the WiGig card has some problems regarding the PCI-e gen from some motherboards, and that's what I'm talking about when I told you that it seems HTC doesn't know about their own stuff.

Lots of people struggling to maintain connection with their Vive headsets, and it can be simply resolved by running this exe and enabling this PCIeGen thing. The weirdest thing is that when I searched on Google for this exe file I found only 2 pages mentioning it! That gives me the creeps! It's a simple fix that even HTC doesn't have a clue about! It would be good if you could report my case to them, as they could just give people this instruction instead of asking guys to send them their equipment that's actually in good shape! End of story lol with a happy ending! I hope my experience and resolutions can help more people that are suffering because of the lack of knowledge of a company that doesn't understand their own devices! Regards from Brazil!