Vive University Representative?

Elrondel

Hi all,

I spoke with a HR person that suggested that I post here about my idea, and I was wondering if anybody else had heard of it.

I'm a university student right now who has been following VR heavily for the past year. Every bit of money I've earned, I put toward building my PC for VR. I finished that over the summer and now I'm saving for my Vive.

I'm interested in being a university representative for the Vive at my uni, proving that dorm-scale VR is viable and works well. I will eventually purchase a Vive once I save enough money but I'd love to expedite this and begin demo'ing to people, especially with the release of Google Earth VR. Has anyone heard of HTC giving a discount/promotion to people that do this kind of thing? Else I might look into crowdfunding, though I realize that most people online will not think much of a cause like mine. One can hope, though.

Please let me know if you've heard of anything like this!

Hi . Interesting idea and thanks for your post, and your interest in Vive!

We don't currently offer this kind of program. I'm sure you can understand it'll be difficult to moderate to ensure it wasn't just... well, a 'Get a free Vive' program. :) However, I'll pass on the suggestion. An educational / student discount seems like a good idea to begin with, don't you think?

If we can't help out in this way, perhaps we can look at something else. It'd be interesting to have some sort of 'Vive demo person locator' similar to the store locator we have. Thanks for the suggestion.

Good luck in your studies, and hope to see more of you around here!

Hi ,

Thank you for the reply to my post! I completely understand the trust factor that plays into this sort of thing. I would be beyond grateful for a student / educational discount. Another direction I considered would be paying full/near full price for the Vive and getting some return based on the number of people demonstrated (we had to fill out a survey after doing the Campus Tour, so I was imagining a similar situation), but I understand that this would be hard to moderate as well.

Please let me know if the education/student discount comes through - I'm also looking at purchasing over Black Friday (hearing some rumors about a sale!), though I'm not sure if I can afford it still quite yet. I hope so.

Once again, thanks for the response!

Just to set expectations,  - I can't wave a wand and give you a discount. (Sorry. My wand's on the fritz.) I'll definitely pass the idea along though.

Those rumors of a sale aren't rumors! I'll be posting about it soon, but this weekend you'll be able to save money on a Vive (and Vive software on Viveport!).

Of course, sorry to hear that, hope your wand gets fixed soon :manwink: it would be a great incentive for us broke and indebted students to try out the Vive and be a great motivator for people to work on projects in VR for design projects. I know a group at my university did something last year. 

Thanks again!

Bear in mind while doing all these "demos" if you are taking donations or selling stuff you need a commercial license. I keep seeing people who are charging for entry to a party at their apartment which happens to have a Vive that they will "demo" free of charge... Basically making money by pirating software as all software comes with a non commercial use. Thankfully HTC are working on Viveport arcade to make it easy to do this legitimately.

I am also interested in being a  "Vive demo person" of sorts. I have a vive setup and I am looking to build a community of people to experience VR and dream about the impact it can have in classrooms and communities. I would be more than willing to be a "VR Disciple" of sorts and spread VR and it's capabilities. 

It is one thing to watch it played, and a whole other to experience it. My friends and I plan to do pop up demos around the city to drum up interest for our rental business and build a community of VR users who are creating content and experiences.

Archived