Vive hand tracking SDK setup

runout

Hello, 

I am using vive pro headset and I want to experience the vive hand tracking for the first time. I tried to follow the instructions mentioned in the website but its little complicated for me since I have no knowledge at all about Unity or Unreal or anything similar.  What is the easiest and effective way to try it. Is there any guide or videos that explaing everything?

@zzy

Hi @runout

Since you have no experience to either Unity or Unreal, I would suggest to start with Unity, with is easier to learn. Please follow the steps below (on Windows with Vive Pro plugged):

1. Install Unity. You can install Unity Hub first, which is a Unity management tool, which can help you install Unity. You can follow the instructions in Unity Official Manual.
    1. When selecting Unity version to install, please scroll down and select the 2017.4.x (LTS) versions.
    2. When selecting modules, you can deselect all to reduce download size.
  2. Create a new Unity Project in Unity Hub. You can choose the 3D template.
  3. Follow the SDK document about SteamVR camera setup.
  4. In the created Unity Project, import Vive Hand Tracking SDK. Open menu Assets - Import Package - Custom Package ..., select Vive Hand Tracking Unity.unitypackage file.
  5. Modify project settings to support Vive Pro.
    1. Open menu Edit - Project Settings - Player, the player setting is shown in the Inspector window.
    2. Scroll down to XR Settings tab at the bottom, check Virtual Reality Supported, and make sure Virtual Reality SDKs contains only OpenVR. You can use the +/- button to add/remove other entries.
  6. Open our sample scene and run inside Unity Editor.
    1. In the project tab, open Assets/ViveHandTracking/Sample/Sample.unity scene.
    2. Press the play button on the toolbar at the top to run the scene.
    3. You can refer to Unity manual about Project Window, Open Scenes (at the bottom of the page), Toolbar & Play button.

Please let me know if you have any problems following these steps.

Thank you so much

Finally I got the chance to try it although its not that perfect in terms of tracking and latency but its considered as a good start.

Can I use hand tracking in steamVR  or is there any game or app that supports vive hand tracking? 

thank you.

@zzy

• 1 year later...
On 9/17/2019 at 4:58 AM, zzy said:

Hi @runout

Since you have no experience to either Unity or Unreal, I would suggest to start with Unity, with is easier to learn. Please follow the steps below (on Windows with Vive Pro plugged):

1. Install Unity. You can install Unity Hub first, which is a Unity management tool, which can help you install Unity. You can follow the instructions in Unity Official Manual.
    1. When selecting Unity version to install, please scroll down and select the 2017.4.x (LTS) versions.
  4. In the created Unity Project, import Vive Hand Tracking SDK. Open menu Assets - Import Package - Custom Package ..., select Vive Hand Tracking Unity.unitypackage file.
    1. Open menu Edit - Project Settings - Player, the player setting is shown in the Inspector window.
    2. Scroll down to XR Settings tab at the bottom, check Virtual Reality Supported, and make sure Virtual Reality SDKs contains only OpenVR. You can use the +/- button to add/remove other entries.
    3. You can refer to Unity manual about Project Window, Open Scenes (at the bottom of the page), Toolbar & Play button.

Hey

Can you please tell me if it is possible to use Vive hand tracking in Games? I just bought my Vive Pro a month ago and i can't figure out how to use that feature.
Is it only possible to use it in samples or is there a way to play Games with it. I really wnat to know. Please help.

thank you

@zzy

@Siyo - it's kind of a developer feature for developers to experiment with. I'm not aware of any consumer content that has integrated the SDK into their public release. I've mostly seen this by arcades and LBE customers for builds not accessible to the public.

In general - Valve Index controllers are the only way to get widely supported finger tracking when using a Vive Pro.

• 5 months later...
On 9/16/2019 at 8:58 PM, zzy said:

Hi @runout

Hello,

I am new to unity and vive pro. I am trying to implement ray casting using the hand tracking sdk. I have already followed the above mentioned steps and verified that camera is working on SteamVR. However, my hands are not detected. The robot hands in the sample scene are static. They do not move according to my real hand.

I also tried to follow the steps as described in the VIVE hand traking SDK webinar - 

- I have added gesture provider script to main camera

- I have added left hand and right hand models; added hand display switch (script) and Hand state checker (script) to the models.

Yet my hands are not detected.

I get the below error

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
ViveHandTracking.ViveHandTrackingEngine.UpdateResult () (at Assets/ViveHandTracking/Scripts/Engine/ViveHandTrackingEngine.cs:107)
ViveHandTracking.GestureProvider.Update () (at Assets/ViveHandTracking/Scripts/GestureProvider.cs:157)

I am using unity version - 2019.4.28f1

hand tracking sdk version - 0.9.4

Am I missing out on something? Kindly help me resolve the issue. @zzy