How to change HTC Tracker to act as a Controller (so it can be viewed in Xplane)

jasper1234

Hi 

I am currently using the Vive pro setup with 2 x controllers and 1 x Vive Tracker.

My goal is to have the Vive Tracker shown in Xplane. I can only get Xplane to show and track the 2 x controllers.

What I want to do is change the Vive Tracker such that it identifies as a "controller" thus enabling me to do as I need. Is there a way to do this? I have tried to 'manage vive trackers' from the 'SteamVr application' however, when this is clicked when selecting a role it shows 'disconnected' down the bottom (as shown in the photo).

If it is not possible to do this without disabling one of the actual controllers then this is okay! I only need to be able to use 1 x controller and 1 x tracker (identify as controller)

Thanks in advance!

Capture.PNG

@jasper1234 - A couple of comments here:

• That SteamVR UI is generally a bit buggy when it comes to connection status and it isn't always accurate. I'd always differ to the main status UI or the tracker's LED indicator
  • We used to have a tool called the "Vive Role Changer". It would modify the way the tracker's firmware reported to SteamVR and it would allow you to change between reporting a tracker or a controller. We maintained the tool for a while including updating it to support Tracker v2018 but changes to SteamVR's back-end ultimately led to the tool becoming too dangerous to use with Tracker 2018 - the procedure started bricking devices and we were forced to take the tool offline.
    • We generally advise developers to correctly program their projects to work with the tracker in tracker configuration - it's not feasible or scalable to tell users to modify the firmware of their devices for a specific executable.
    • If you have a first generation tracker, you can download v0.8 of the role change tool here. If you have a tracker 2018 (blue logo) - there unfortunately is no stable way to modify the device reporting status without a high risk of bricking it. These tools fall into the category of "use at your own risk" as it deals with firmware modification.
  • Generally, SteamVR will not allow you to have more than 2 controllers connected without some custom back-end work.

On 10/22/2019 at 2:20 AM, VibrantNebula said:

@jasper1234 - A couple of comments here:

• That SteamVR UI is generally a bit buggy when it comes to connection status and it isn't always accurate. I'd always differ to the main status UI or the tracker's LED indicator
  • We used to have a tool called the "Vive Role Changer". It would modify the way the tracker's firmware reported to SteamVR and it would allow you to change between reporting a tracker or a controller. We maintained the tool for a while including updating it to support Tracker v2018 but changes to SteamVR's back-end ultimately led to the tool becoming too dangerous to use with Tracker 2018 - the procedure started bricking devices and we were forced to take the tool offline.
    • We generally advise developers to correctly program their projects to work with the tracker in tracker configuration - it's not feasible or scalable to tell users to modify the firmware of their devices for a specific executable.
    • If you have a first generation tracker, you can download v0.8 of the role change tool here. If you have a tracker 2018 (blue logo) - there unfortunately is no stable way to modify the device reporting status without a high risk of bricking it. These tools fall into the category of "use at your own risk" as it deals with firmware modification.
  • Generally, SteamVR will not allow you to have more than 2 controllers connected without some custom back-end work.

Thank you very much for the help!

Unfortunately I have one of the newer model trackers so won't be able to make those changes.

I mentioned the tracker shows as disconnected but it does in fact show itself as connected (can see the tracker in steamVR).

The issue comes with re-configuring it to become a controller. I really need to have it appear as a controller, with the steamVR role changer but when I do try and change it in the role changer the tracker shows as 'disconnected' thus won't change. 

I don't necessarily need to have 2 controllers (rather 1 tracker and 1 controller will be fine). Could I just disconnect 1 of the controllers completely from the computer and then try setup the tracker in its place? 

@VibrantNebula

• 4 weeks later...

@jasper1234 

We use Trackers as controllers and overwrite the json file to assign it within SteamVR. The assignments that are overwritten are the "device class" (changed from "generic_tracker" to "controller"), the "render model" (changed from "vr_tracker_vive_1_0" to "generic_controller") and "tracked controller role" (changed from '' '' to "left_hand"). Obviously, you can do either hand if you need, or just leave it blank if it doesn't matter for your system.

You will need to disconnect one of your wand controllers to connect this new "controller." We use the Tracker 2018 (blue logo) and haven't bricked one yet, though I am not going to guarantee this is a completely infallible implementation. I've attached an example json file. 

Tracker_Left