Vive Cosmos - MSI GE63VR Raider

Landable_land

Hi all,

I am thinking about purchasing a Vive Cosmos. However, i have seen all over these forums and online, people having issues in using a Mini DP to DP adapater in order for it to work with a laptop.

I have also seen there are USB C 3.1 to Display port adapters, would these work also? I cannot get a straight answer from the live chat support, it's always the same answer. Why doesn't HTC provide an adapter considering this may block out some of their potential customers?

I have also heard of issues regarding MSI laptops as a whole, using this post as a reference for all: https://forum.vive.com/topic/6702-cosmos-headset-not-nor-has-worked/page/2/

Is there any guarnteed solutions? Or do i just have to buy and hope for the best? The only other solution i see is investing in a Rift S as the original Vive is now way over priced.

Any help would be appricated and let me know if you need anything from me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Phr00t said:

This one works, *IF* your USB C port is also a DisplayPort in "alternate" mode, *AND* it connects directly to your NVIDIA GPU:

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-Aluminum-Compatible/dp/B07F17ZHJY/

I use it with my Vive Cosmos. No other USB C -> DisplayPort cables worked.

How would one check if my USB C port is also a DisplayPort in "alternate" mode, and it connects directly to my NVIDIA GPU? Sorry i'm a bit of a noob with this stuff.

Look for a DisplayPort icon on the side of the NVIDIA card in these NVIDIA PhysX settings:

uqlnjqj1.1q2.jpg

There should be a DisplayPort icon on the USB C port indicating it supports this "alternate" mode. If not, there might be another MiniDisplayPort on the laptop that outputs from the NVIDIA GPU, which case you'd need a MiniDisplayPort to DisplayPort cable. I haven't confirmed any cables of that type to work personally -- but I suspect one exists. If it says it supports DisplayPort v1.4 or 8K video, you should be OK.

EDIT: This information should be pinned, in my humble opinion.

Edited by Phr00t
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Phr00t said:

Look for a DisplayPort icon on the side of the NVIDIA card in these NVIDIA PhysX settings:

uqlnjqj1.1q2.jpg

There should be a DisplayPort icon on the USB C port indicating it supports this "alternate" mode. If not, there might be another MiniDisplayPort on the laptop that outputs from the NVIDIA GPU, which case you'd need a MiniDisplayPort to DisplayPort cable. I haven't confirmed any cables of that type to work personally -- but I suspect one exists. If it says it supports DisplayPort v1.4 or 8K video, you should be OK.

EDIT: This information should be pinned, in my humble opinion.

@Phr00t Nice picture but maybe try to find one with a Cosmos approved GPU.  I don't think a GeForce GT 555M is going to make the cut, lol!

@Landable_land If I were you I would avoid any VR with a laptop.  It's always going to be a bit hit and miss imho.  I've been there done that btw.  I started VR almost 3 years ago with a pretty good quality Alienware 17r4 gaming laptop (i7 7700hq, gtx1060 6gb, 32Gb ram, 256mb ssd 1tb hdd) and to be honest it really did not run very many VR apps very well, esp. flight and racing sims.  I finally bit the bullet and built a proper desktop gaming PC 6 months ago (i9 9900k water cooled, gtx1080ti,  32gb 3000 ram, 1tb ssd, 4tbhdd).  This has made the world of difference to my VR experience.  If you cannot afford to do this I would maybe consider a mobile VR option like the Vive Focus, Oculus Quest, or Oculus Go.

Thanks @Phr00t and @TomCgcmfc!

@Landable_land Thanks for sharing the photo. Looks like you have a DP port directly connecting to your 1060 GPU. The VIVE Cosmos comes with a mini DP to DP cable so you won't need to purchase an adapter 🙂

UPDATE: My colleague informed me that miniDP ports show up as full sized DP ports. Almost no laptops have full sized DP's. In this case, I recommend you get a mini DP to mini DP cable to connect to your MSI. We recommend: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0777RKTJB/ref=twister_B077GCMQXJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1.

Shoutout to my OG colleague for catching this -@VibrantNebula, who's been helping the community since day 1.

In conclusion, the VIVE Cosmos will work with the MSI GE63VR! You'll be able to play all the VR experiences that supports the Cosmos. 

Please note as Tom shared - while your gtx1060 meets the minimum specs required, your VR experiences may not be optimized to its full potential due to performance limitations. This applies for all headsets - the better the GPU, then the better optimizations for your experiences.

Thanks,
Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Bonjour, je voudrais savoir s'il est possible de jouer avec un ordinateur portable GE73 8RF avec le Cosmos si j'ai un adaptateur DP vers MiniDP? car jusqu'à aujourd'hui j'ai acheté 1 câble MiniDP vers MiniDP et un adaptateur DP vers MiniDP et ceux qui ne fonctionnent pas erreur: "220: La connexion DP a un problème de compatibilité (erreur HDCP).". Depuis 2 semaines j'ai du mal et je commence à regretter mon achat ...

Edited by Zerax

7 minutes ago, Zerax said:

Bonjour, je voudrais savoir s'il est possible de jouer avec un ordinateur portable GE73 8RF avec le Cosmos si j'ai un adaptateur DP vers MiniDP? car jusqu'à aujourd'hui j'ai acheté 1 câble MiniDP vers MiniDP et un adaptateur DP vers MiniDP et ceux qui ne fonctionnent pas erreur: "220: La connexion DP a un problème de compatibilité (erreur HDCP).". Depuis 2 semaines j'ai du mal et je commence à regretter mon achat ...

Make sure you have the latest MSI bios installed.  This is a common problem with MSI laptops and VR.  You can check the MSI website to find this;

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GE63VR-7RF-Raider