How to install Cosmos and Vive Pro on same PC

TomCgcmfc

I'm expecting a nice new Vive Pro kit (McLaren limited edition) later today and I would like to know what I need to do to install it and if I can use the Cosmos Link Box / cables.

In order to get started I have uninstalled  my Cosmos wireless and taken it back to tethered. The Cosmos Link Box, cables, and power supply all look the same as for the Vive Pro.  What I would like to be able to do is to simple headset/cable swap to the front link box port.

Thanks for any help.

3 hours ago, TomCgcmfc said:

I'm expecting a nice new Vive Pro kit (McLaren limited edition) later today and I would like to know what I need to do to install it and if I can use the Cosmos Link Box / cables.

In order to get started I have uninstalled  my Cosmos wireless and taken it back to tethered. The Cosmos Link Box, cables, and power supply all look the same as for the Vive Pro.  What I would like to be able to do is to simple headset/cable swap to the front link box port.

Thanks for any help.

Make sure you don't mismatch the linkbox between Cosmos and Vive Pro, they are slightly different from the inside, and you can also differentiate from the bottom colored label. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, C.T. said:

Make sure you don't mismatch the linkbox between Cosmos and Vive Pro, they are slightly different from the inside, and you can also differentiate from the bottom colored label. 

The only difference I can see is that the Vive Pro power supply and Link Box input specs are 12v/1.5A while the Cosmos is 12v/2.5A (same rating as the 2.0 base stations).  I realise that the Cosmos draws a little more power, hence the need for a better 21W wireless battery but just like this 21W battery can be used for OG Vive Pro I'm not sure why the Cosmos link Box Power supply and link Box can not be used.  Headsets (and Wireless) will only draw as much current as they need.  It would be different if the voltages were different.  Anyway, maybe do me a favour and ask you engineers to clarify this.  Thanks.

Just be on the safe side I will initially only use the Vive pro link box and it's 12v/1.5A power supply.

I still did not get any answers regarding setting this up since my Cosmos is already setup.  I guess I'll just download and run the Vive setup again, selecting the Vive Pro this time.  I'm not sure if that will uninstall my Cosmos setup?  Guess I'll find out soon since I've just finished charging the controller bateries and mounting the base stations so I'm am almost ready to go.  Wish me luck!

• Like 1

While there are slightly different design changes in the linkboxes, I'm not not really sure what the practical differences are in terms of day to day usage are and I use them interchangeably in my lab so I'd be curious to have a firmer answer on this myself.

I'd also note that wireless is hot swappable with wired. If you plug in a linkbox with a display cable attached, you'll tell the tech stack to look for a wired HMD rather than a wireless one. For my setups, I keep a linkbox plugged in with USB and power only so I can use the basestation management tools and when I switch to wired, I just plug in the display cable to the linkbox. I often leave the HMD side wireless adapter on the HMD when doing short tests with wired but realistically you can fully switch between wireless and tethered in 2-3 minutes with some practice.

I'm not sure what happens if you try to use a 21v pack with the Pro. A safe response would be to only use accessories for the devices they're intended for - I'm not sure what the real-world risk of damage is.

Now I have a new Vive Pro I can see the difference in tracking, even compared to my good old .Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.

Hopefully the upcoming Cosmos Steam valve module will work great.  

As much as I like my new Vive Pro I miss the flip up screen and comfortable headsttap.

i do have to say that the dark blacks are fantastic with the Vive Pro.

• Like 1