Tracking Issues When Crouching

Hello everyone, new cosmos user here. Does anyone else here find that crouching down (especially with the headset facing the ground) completely messes up tracking? My tracking is completely unusable when I crouch, and still messed up for about 20 seconds after.I find myself completely unable to play stealth games such as Budget Cuts, or play other multiplayer games stealthily because of this. Is there a fix? Or is this just another Cosmos tracking error that I'm going to have to wait months for a patch.

The only thing you can try to do is make sure there is enough lighting, Apart from that. You cross your fingers and hope it's still something that can be done via a software update and not a hardware limitation. 

Cheers

Hi @Aidanthegarden,

As HoZy mentioned above, try adding a few more lighting as this can help with your tracking experience. 

If you'd like to help us improve our tracking in future updates, you can submit an issue report where your logs will be sent to our engineers to evaluate and improve on.

Here are instructions on how to do this:

On 1/9/2020 at 8:28 AM, Aidanthegarden said:

Hello everyone, new cosmos user here. Does anyone else here find that crouching down (especially with the headset facing the ground) completely messes up tracking? My tracking is completely unusable when I crouch, and still messed up for about 20 seconds after.I find myself completely unable to play stealth games such as Budget Cuts, or play other multiplayer games stealthily because of this. Is there a fix? Or is this just another Cosmos tracking error that I'm going to have to wait months for a patch.

I've had similar instances during games like pistol whip where I duck from a bullet and my body gets stuck in the ground for like a good 10 seconds, completely ruining my session.

As far as I can see tracking when you crouch in general can mess things up abit.

I think I'll make a video demonstrating this and post it for the devs to see. (Will also report through console)

@Hooflee,

Thanks for sharing and being active in helping us out. 

In your issue summary once you submit your report, could you also add the following tag "rd_log_request". This will help us better filter logs for our R&D to leverage in improving our products with updates such as this crouching tracking experience. 

Thank you,
Steve

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello, i have the same problems with my HTC vive Cosmos, its always loosing a tracking when i crouch or trying to grab something on the floor, i read a lot of info and help how to improve the environment, so i already added a lot of lights and placed a lot of markers, pictures on the wall and floor, also small carpets, removed small mirrors that i had and even turned off monitor in case if it also caused the problem, and nothing worked, i dont know if its a problem of the hardware or something else, or its a bug of softwares, and this issue happens in all games, ALYX and Tutorials and BeatSaber and etc. So i need to figure out what can i do with it? Should i take it back to the store and refund it or somehow there is a way to fix it, or need to buy Base Stations to improve tracking which is more expensive and not good choice for me.

ps Ive sent a Troubleshoot ticket, hope it will help. 

the cosmos is infamous for being THE WORST headset (and also) the headset with THE WORST tracking ever.

The issue is entirely HTC's fault for making a very bad product.

The only thing you can do to try and fix this, is to have a bright room with decals and stuff on walls to help the tracking.
Though you could also get the "elite" daceplate along with 2 basestations, which measn instead of the headset using cameras to know its position, it uses external high quality VALVE grade tech to get the best tracking there is.
But it makes perfect sense also to not want to chuck 800 AUD (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) away to solve one (1!) solution of the highly flawed cosmos headset.
If you are considering the elite faceplate, it's honestly best just to buy a oculus quest 2 for their amazing quality, usability, price, tracking, etc.

Also btw I think htc is deleting posts. This certainly would fit the bill to get censored, so keep that in mind - not just that some comments may not exist any more, so keep everything in mind and perhaps have backup images, but also keep in mind that htc censors text.... and makes awful vr equipment despite that being their only gag.... and the fact they produce god awfully expensive stuff....

And btw, I'm pretty sure that HTC = the entire thing; the business
VIVE = HTC's codename or something for everything VR
HTC VIVE / OG VIVE / VIVE = first consumer headset
"VIVE cosmos elite" = cosmos headset that is ""elite"" because it doesn't use HTC's god-awful tracking; and VIVE is slapped on there so the cosmos gets some attention simply because the OG VIVE was so good (though the cosmos and probably all future non-partnered htc products will be awful)

lmao, i agree, i recently bought a quest 2 with all upgrades except the elite head strap which im bout to get, and the grips u can put on the motion controllers that allows u to let go the controllers without the fact of that string around ur wrist, lol ive had the controller on the vive come out my hand while throwing something luckly i had that string on tho, but anyways i just gave my cosmos away, lol its not even worth $50 imo

oh yea, upcomng vive-con better come up with some miracle and better price on this next VR they coming out with, or ppl not gonna be interested, i think the new upcoming PSVR2 is gonna be wireless like oculus, so maybe they doing the same lmao but not impressed with vive atm