Cosmos Beta release - 1.0.10.4

C.T.

VIVE Cosmos 1.0.10.4 – Beta Release Notes 

Released January 17th2020

[Tracking]  

• Controller 
    • Optimized controller pose tracking

[Lens]  

• Fixed a bug where the setting your forward direction through Lens wasn't working
  • Fixed Setting UI bugs (Thanks to @Mr.Killjoy)

[Origin]  

• Added Chinese New Year decorations
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

No tracking improvements that I could see compared to the previous beta.  Actually maybe a little worse imho.  If you hold your controllers in front of you and make circles like winding a winch, the controller wobble all over the place.  Angry birds (slingshot) is barely playable.  Arrow and 2 handed guns are actually worse than the previous beta, but playable if you position things just right.  I'll try this all again tomorrow morning under a little brighter lighting and report back.

On a positive note, the direction setting and floor setting in lens seems to work ok.  Also the Chinese new year decorations in Origin look pretty good.  I just wish there was a box of matches so I could fire off all those firecrackers, lol!

I gotta say the first test attempt on Beat Saber was just awful, like 8 beta steps back.
Beat Saber is unplayable now, the controllers are just floating around many times.

I don't know what you did here but I would say, please revert this beta update.
I'll test again later today on sunset to see how it's doing on less light.

Sorry guys.

• Like 1

Dear Development team,

Thank you for your work! I tested the update in the 2 titles GunClubVR and Boneworks in very well lit room and I would like to write I little feedback (and maybe possible solution?) 

I will begin with good news! In GunClubVR it works MUCH better! You can actually zoom. I easily zoomed in with all sniper rifles and assault rifles. The wobblines in the front hand (hand that holds the barrel of the gun) is less and that's noticeable. Sometimes the tracking loses the second hand (hand that closest to your face) so you have to retry again but it happens not so often. 

The second part is the test with Boneworks. The rifle stance with assault rifle like 10-15% better if I could say so. But still very glitchy and wobbly. But I noticed the thing that it always the second hand that glitches and loses the tracking (hand that closest to your face when you  hold rifle) while front hand is always fine and never lose tracking. So my theory is that the reason why in some games the tracking with rifles is bad - is because the hand that near your face always loses tracking if it's in front of you, instead of being below your face. I think that possibly if team of developers could look into situations when controllers near your face and I mean like really really close. Nearly touching your face - we could find solution to this problem together!

Anyway, thank you very much and my plea to the people not to rush them. I hope my feedback was constructive and developer team will give it a try! Thank you very much!

Edited by Retsu

Interestingly in my case (I just tried virtual rifling in Steam VR Home by holding the controllers in rifle mode and then moving around) always the farer controller lost tracking...

@Retsu: which hand you hold closer to your face? Mine is the right hand.

Edited by A-Jey

1 minute ago, A-Jey said:

Interestingly in my case (I just tried virtual rifling in Steam VR Home by holding the controllers in rifle mode and then moving around) always the farer controller lost tracking...

@Retsu: which hand you hold closer to your face? Mine is the right hand.

Right hand as well. I tried just now this with left hand closer to my face and result is the same. It's weird that we have different results. Maybe due to difference in light of our rooms? Or maybe height difference? My hands are kinda short so maybe that's why? 🤔

So sun has passed and I tried again.
I also deleted room info before and did a new setup.

Beat Saber can be played again.

This was the first day with good light since very long time where I tested earlier on the day.
It turns out that my headset very likely will become useless on every sunny day/afternoon during spring and summer.

The headset tracks much much better on lower lightning then on very good lightning with uneven sources.
Quite disappointing as I didn't expect that after so much improvements.

Edited by A-Jey

Just played a longer Talos Priciple session and the tracking is actually good on very low light condition.
Kudos for that 🙂

@C.T.

Just an idea about the cams.
I guess the exposure is the same for all of them, right?
Maybe it's worth to try an independent exposure for every cam.
So if you head a light source with one side and a dark with the other results in different exposures.

Edited by A-Jey

OK, tried this a few more times under different lighting conditions.  I also opted out of SteamVR beta to the current stable version.  Under all conditions the tracking was worse than the previous beta and while the previous beta was the best so far it is still far from acceptable imho.  I really am quite disappointed with this update and after +3 months of mucking around I'm getting pretty tired of being a Vive Cosmos Beta-tester.  Given the poor show from Vive Cosmos engineers to date I really doubt that this headset is going to achieve Oculus Rift S inside-out equivalence within the next few months.  Promises and excuses are likely to drag on for some time, esp. given the upcoming Chinese new year (when everything seems to stop).  Until Vive throws enough resources and expertise at the Cosmos I think this will drag on for maybe a lot longer.  I hope I'm wrong btw.

All I want to do is enjoy my VR experience.  Currently, only my Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors and Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations allow me to do so.

While I like being involved with early development projects, these are only satisfying to me if I can see good progress.  Right now the Cosmos development process is far from satisfying for me.  So, I will immediately pack up my Cosmos and park it under my pool table.  I will monitor-only (no posts) the Cosmos forum to see if and when significant progress is made before taking it out of it's parking bay.  For those brave souls who intend to soldier on, I salute you!

Good Luck, and cheers.

• Like 2