Cosmos Beta release - 1.0.10.4

C.T.

28 minutes ago, A-Jey said:

C'mon guys.

Are u all going to shitstorm now or what?

This is the first update which a step back and it's a beta, don't forget that.
They probably tried something out with that.

Not shitstorming - just voicing my concerns on a product that was not cheap, and yet my arms still flail about the second I go 2 millimeters out of where camera expects them to be.

Is it repairable? I'm hopeful, as everyone says Rift's tracking was as bad when it came out, and they managed to get it fixed.

But when I think that for a little more I could have gotten an Index, which everyone is hailing as close to perfect as one can get for this generation, then yes I do start feeling cheated.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Shevron said:

Not shitstorming - just voicing my concerns on a product that was not cheap, and yet my arms still flail about the second I go 2 millimeters out of where camera expects them to be.

Is it repairable? I'm hopeful, as everyone says Rift's tracking was as bad when it came out, and they managed to get it fixed.

But when I think that for a little more I could have gotten an Index, which everyone is hailing as close to perfect as one can get for this generation, then yes I do start feeling cheated.

If you're even considering getting the tracking mod, Look at just getting an Index instead. A cosmos + Tracking mod, Base stations & Controllers will be more expensive than an Index. 

7 hours ago, A-Jey said:

C'mon guys.

Are u all going to shitstorm now or what?

This is the first update which a step back and it's a beta, don't forget that.
They probably tried something out with that.

Beta versions tend to be experimental.
If you don't want that just stay on public.

It isn't true that there's no progress as the tracking got better which each beta (except this one).

You can support the developers by describing what's not working and what exactly happens.
Ranting doesn't help to get things done.

Right, I'm also not happy with the actual state but except of this update I see progress.

Yes you are wright but it's really disturbing when you read this

https://uploadvr.com/community-download-what-does-future-hold-for-htc-in-vr/

And yes you are right too when talk about progress 

Just for memory the HTC VIVE COSMOS began to be sold in October 2019 it's a long time for technology.

I support devs and I really hope  they will get there

😉

I'm very sad by all the mean comments here. I understand that you are dissatisfied with the tracking right now and I was the same at first. Angry and saying this is unfixable hardware problem and even created thread about it. But after just 2 months that I joined - DEV team made so many updates that made the tracking tons better. When I was playing MMO Tera online, I knew developer from forum chatting. He was very kind guy and he once told me "The worst thing about fixing patches, is that as soon as you fix something - you break 3 more mechanics". Trust me the HTC team already knows that this patch broke something and they will fix it. I played yesterday for few hours and tracking with rifle is much better. I can actually zoom. All they need is just to fix the error in tracking that they created and keep improving on the rifle stance.  We are much closer to Rift S tracking right now. We just have some tracking issues that are fixable. 

Edited by Retsu
  • Like 3

One problem I see is that Rift S developers got much more feedback and data to work with.
But with only 5 people concerning about an unlucky beta version progress takes much longer time I guess.

You could help by doing videos of the things that don't work and send it in, together with an issue report.
Your data can help.

We're a small community of users who had the balls to get this headset... now have the balls to help getting it better 😉

Edited by A-Jey
  • Like 4

I have been playing with Cosmos since the first week of December. Bought open box cosmos ($450)+ openbox wireless ($150).

My kids play on Oculus Quest. I don't know completely understand why this forum is so negative. I have not played on index and only minimally on vive at the bowling arcade etc.

I think the cosmos is just fine. I doesn't seem any worse or better than oculus quest where I play Sword of Gargantua with my kids together. I do like the higher resolution of pc driven on the Cosmos and this is clearly noticeable. I have not been playing beta firmware, but have been thinking about it and why I read this forum, but I think the tracking is pretty good since 1.08 back in mid December. It was noticeably than 1.07 where I first started with Cosmos. I have not played with 1.0.9.6 as much, but I couldn't tell as much a difference compared from 1.07 -> 1.08.

The other games I primarily play is Archangel:Hellfire (solo campaign), Vox Machinae, and The Wizards. These games play just fine and I enjoy playing them. 

I have certainly seen when tracking is lost and comes back particulary when I am curious about the boundaries of my controllers and trying to understand this poor tracking that everyone keeps tallking about, but it doesn't happen that often if at all in the games I play.

This seems kind of like that open wound that you can't help but keep poking at and constantly messing with, because you just can't get it our of your mind? Perhaps its because I have yet to notice the wound because I have not played on Index or Vive/PRO, but compared to quest anyone who says that is so much better is simply not true. I will take my cosmos over my kids quest any day, and my kids rather play on my wireless cosmos as well, but I tell them that its hands off and they can go to quest link or their quest native games.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Beta_Tester said:

Who has said this is a hardware issue? I can't see anything from HTC on this? I am pretty sure you're incorrect.

Having said that, inside-out tracking is really complex and took Facebook 4 months to become stable. 

I'm happy to give HTC another couple of months before I start to get concerned.

I've explained how the tracking methods work before in another thread. Cossack isn't wrong it's definitely a hardware limitation in how HTC attempted to track the controllers on the Cosmos. 

Briefly, The Oculus still uses infrared emitters in their controller loops on the S/Quest, Which helps keep accurate tracking during occluded gameplay meanwhile the Cosmos uses light loops, Nothing fancy. So if they are occluded, blown out from other lighting etc. They simply don't know where your hands are. It's also why there is a limit on how far you can bring them to your face due for hand movements in games etc. 

End of the day, Software will only do so much when the hardware is in fact the issue. 

I've also done a break down of the cost to upgrade to the tracking MOD and it is significantly more expensive than the cost of the Cosmos itself or even just purchasing a Valve Index, Leaving you with 2 almost new controllers and a HMD faceplate that contains 2 cameras sitting in your junk drawer. 

Cheers

Edited by HoZy
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2020 at 2:04 PM, HoZy said:

If you're even considering getting the tracking mod, Look at just getting an Index instead. A cosmos + Tracking mod, Base stations & Controllers will be more expensive than an Index. 

Here in Australia we consider the Index to be folklore, at the very least a fable

Personally i still believe its in the software, considering how the outline mode passthrough camera works, (that it can even pick up the faintest of outlines in my shadow, and the finest lines of individual books on a shelf.

https://imgur.com/a/GolYBwm

(The first two screenshots are from months ago back in november

(where the 3rd screen shot is from January,)

you can see how they have improved the tracking

They will figure out the correct algorithm in time. It may of hurt the launch of the headset but its not a dead headset, its still very playable on most games and the games its not playable on are more shooting games or toms favorite angry birds slingshot.

• Like 1