Cosmos connected remotelly to PC

davide445

Since still working on my Cloud VR idea, want to know if might be possible to have a test in this way

- PC with my 3D application installed with remotization software such as NoMachine or Parsec, same software installed on laptop

- Link box attached to my Lenovo X380 laptop, with a DP to MiniDP adapter (having a USB-C/TB3 port) + the USB3 connection. All the needed SteamVR and Vive Console software installed on the laptop.

- PC connected on Internet with a 50Mbps fiber optic connection and laptop connected with an ADSL 12Mbps connection.

Latency will be terrible and resolution horrible, but want to know if at least this setup will have any possibility to work.

@Dario @Jad @VibrantNebula

Planning about this test want first to do it with the laptop connected on the same LAN of the PC. I will not install Vive Console and SteamVR on the laptop since need to be just the same as a monitor.

My Lenovo X380 Yoga does have a USBC/TB3 with DisplayPort 1.2 support, using Alpine Ridge controller and Low Power variant.

DP1.2 does not specify 90hz as a target refresh rate, just want to know if using the correct USB-C to DP adapter this might push to 90hz or will settle to a lower refresh rate, and if the Cosmos will accept this or will not work at all.

Edited by davide445

Hi @Davide,

This is an interesting idea you're testing. I, personally, haven't done this and the subject doesn't exactly fall in my expertise. Hopefully the colleagues I tagged can chime in.

My immediate concern with this is... how would you get your remote software to integrate with the Cosmos headset or any VR headset in general? Non-VR applications work because the user can just view the mirrored application through their screen. For you to view the mirrored application through a VR headset that's not directly connected to the PC... seems like you'll need an integration between the remote software and steamvr or vive console? 

Hi @stvnxu so far just wanted to clear the hardware port topic, otherwise no test (more an exploratory experiment) can even start. 

In the sw side probably some form of integration with steamvr/Vive console will be needed, but this is not the most risky part. 

Edited by davide445