Suggestion: Future Headset Design

MainFragger

My suggestion is two part: 

1.  Too much of the weight of the headset rests on your cheekbones and nose.  They should really use some kind of strap system or counterweight system to reduce the amount of pressure the goggles put on the front of your fast.  There are times where it actually gets hard to breath because of that.  If I ever had a cold where my nose was stuffed, I couldn't use the Vive because I wouldn't be able to breath..

2.  I've noticed in room scale that if I turn my back to the lighthouses they lose me.  Maybe they aren't high enough.. but they are where I can put them within my room.  It would be a good idea to actually get rid of the straps on these things and just a bike helmet design that forms a 360 circle pattern around your head for the lighthouses to track.

In response to part one and im sure you have tried it but a lot of people dont know about the 3 velcro strap on top of the unit. 
I dont have any issues with the weight of the unit but i have seen posts from people that did have and once they had adjusted the top strap it changed the way the HMD sat on the face and was better for them. 

I have notice that strap.  In fact, I think its poorly designed because the edge of it gets stopped by the little strip of material that holds the cables.  If that strip was a little wider, I can pull the velcro all the way to just about the end and tuck it into that strip...but its too small, so I had to bend the strap over backward.   I did that so I could get the bottom portion of the velcro as far away from the HMD as I could.    It helps a little.  But I stll feel that its not ideal.  I might have to get a 3D printer and come up with my own design for a head cover that can attach to the HMD that solves both of the issues I list above.

Hey , I can assure you the HTC design team is always looking at ways to improve products. :) I'll make sure to pass on your feedback too.

As  mentioned the 'over the head' strap at the top of the Vive is often missed by people, but you clearly know it's there! Keep experimenting if necessary - it's the best way to lessen the weight on the face from the HMD.

As for room scale and lighthouses - losing tracking when you have your back to the lighthouses isn't a good thing. There's an important trade-off between your height and how high they're mounted, although it shouldn't make a huge difference. What height do you have them at, and how tall are you? If the HMD is potentially moving outside of the tracking area then that would cause you to lose contact.

A wraparound 'helmet' style design is interesting, though. I'll pass it on too. :)

Some tips that were helpful to me is to reduce the pull of the cable on the HMD. 

I do this by clipping the cable to my belt and give it some slack in top. This almost completely eliminates the weight of the cable and helps you in making small adjustments to the straps until it feels comfortable. Adjust the top strap so the cap fits nicely over your head and the height op the HMD is perfect. Then tighten the side straps.

I have 3d printed a clip that works very nicely but looping it through the belt straps on your pants works just as well. 

I did.  Altough, it scares me a little becaus its in Seattle, and I'm in Philly...  My family situation makes moving across coast kind of hard to picture.  And honetly, I can see a lot of different little things that make me a good pick for the role I applied for, but I am not sure an employer will see it the same way.  Its kind of a hail mary pass..

I am about 5'11".  Honestly, I have the lighthouses resting on a shelf that is probably a good 2 inches shorter than I am standing.  Most of the time thats not a big issue, because 90% of my usage is seated.   But I am getting to the point where that percentage is gonna change a bit..   There's no way to really mount them higher in my room (and after New years it won't be my room anymore, anyway). 

I am not sure what I am gonna do after that, because I have that computer and VR setup at a friend's house and there is a lot of room where I have it, and there isn't really room for it at my house. 

Archived