Automatically Wireless-Syncing & Turning on Vive Controller without System Button

Virsix_Evan

Hi Community,

My team is developing a Vive-based VR system that is always-on during the day and is powered down at night. The Vive Controller should be synced wirelessly during the day, but plugged in and charging at night. It does NOT have System button access.

The goal is retain Vive Controller wireless sync even after the Vive turns off and then on again. The problem is that the Controller is plugged in during power down and while powering on, which seems to default it to a "wired-sync" mode.

In other words, the Controller starts off wirelessly-synced during the day, gets plugged in via USB to the Vive headset in the evening, and the computer is turned off; in the morning, the computer is turned on again, and the Controller is unplugged so gameplay can begin. At this point, even though it was originally wirelessly synced, when it's unplugged, it immediately turns off and loses sync (which is how it is intended to work as far as I can tell, we've tested with many controllers).

Is there any way to tell the controller to stay turned on and synced even when it's unplugged?  (I am aware this already works if you simply sync and then plug in, and unplug - this is a unique case in which the computer is turned off and then on again).

Please do not suggest to use the System button to manually turn it on, as this is not an option for our specific setup.

If anyone has a clever fix for this, please let me know. Thank you in advance!!

Cheers,

Evan

Hey 

Trying to understand a bit better here. It sounds like you're developing a sort of... installation? An arcade or similar? I think I see your parameters, though.

That said, I'm not sure there's any way to do this without messing with some sort of hardware configuration. Clearly it's not an option currently offered. I'll ask around, but I'm kind of skeptical this will be do-able...

Hi guys, thanks for the quick responses.

Over the last year, Virsix has developed a turnkey arcade setup, the "VR Cube", that utilizes the Vive (business edition) as the core VR component. While the platform works as designed, over time the USB data connection degrades from constant daily use, causing all sorts of strange behavior. We are experimenting with the idea of removing any wired data transfer and relying purely on the wireless data functionality, while still using a data-free USB cable for power. 

To answer Shen's question, we have a baton-shaped peripheral that covers the Vive controller. We intentionally cover the system button so that players do not accidentally turn off the controller during play (once the controller is turned off, there's no easy way to communicate that they must turn it back on without an attendant).

Please let me know if you have any further thoughts or questions. Thank you for your assistance!

Evan

Archived