Focus 3 - Floor detection / tracking not working

Jack83

Hi,

I just got a Vive Focus 3 and I have a problem with the room / floor setup. The focus  3 is unable to detect the floor properly.
Its always a plane mid air that moves with the headset up and down. On top of that, it has an angle that increases with the direction the headset is facing.

If i set the height manually, I'm able to move the floor to its proper height, but as soon as I get up, the floor moves with me and is again sliding around above the ground.
Using this floor is possible, but the resulting guardian is just floating somewhere and not stationary.  If I use this setup for VR, I get bad tracking with moving and shifting ground as expected.

I tried this in different, well lit rooms with different high contrast floors and enough space. Other Headsets with inside-out tracking (Q1, Q2, Rift S, Reverb G2) work fine in this environment.

I'm using the current version 3.0.999.116

Any suggestion?

Due to covid I'm working in my private room instead of the office. The floor is not the issue, I tried in other rooms with different floor and other lighting conditions. I filed a report with the same email as this account.

Controller tracking works fine in the home environment, there is a small cognitive disconnect in the setup environment where the controllers are displayed and where I think they should be. Reminds me a little of the pass trough mode of the first vive pro. But nothing major. 

Pass through looks fine with some expected distortions where the cameras are stitched like with the Quest 2

IMG_20210712_083901.jpg

It seems that there was something wrong with my unit,  cause now its completely dead. I tried to download the latest update inside the headset. It was stuck at 0% and then I decided to shut down using the power button and the menu to start over.

Now I can't power it on again. Pressing the power button short or long with or without the volume button shows no reaction in any way. Connecting the USB-C cable changes nothing. No reaction from the fan or power led in the front. 

Is there an RMA process?

2 minutes ago, Jack83 said:

It seems that there was something wrong with my unit,  cause now its completely dead. I tried to download the latest update inside the headset. It was stuck at 0% and then I decided to shut down using the power button and the menu to start over.

Now I can't power it on again. Pressing the power button short or long with or without the volume button shows no reaction in any way. Connecting the USB-C cable changes nothing. No reaction from the fan or power led in the front. 

Is there an RMA process?

Power key (#8) as the button on the back of the battery module right?
Long press on headset key won't power on the device (#12).

image.png.b4ae8b2b47d9bdd4e94871dfb8333673.png

You can always contact here for local customer support 

• 7 months later...

Here we are, 9 month later. The headset was not used until Christmas, when I started a support chat and opened a ticket (using my corporate account). The headset has now been send to Romania for repair twice and came back with no issue found. Nothing has changed. The headset is still unusable. I found out how to record the setup process where you can clearly see the miss matched floor and overall bad tracking and moving guardian. 

Please tell me that`s not normal. The bad tracking is very visible in passthrough mode, but also present if the home is rendered.

For reference, here is my description of the problem again:

The tracking is not working properly. It starts with the room setup, where the floor is not detected correctly. 
The floor has an angle most of the time and the projected pattern is moving as I move the headset. Using the controller to lower it down does not match the real floor. Standing up after doing that is raising the floor again. 
Drawing the boundary is done on the displayed floor pattern, but perceived as midair, as the floor level is not correct. The drawn boundary is moving as the headset moves around. After completing the setup, the floor snaps to be at 0°, but is not correct (lower most of the time)

The real issue is now the tracking: Rotation is fine, but lateral movement introduces some kind of rubber band that is moving the view even if you stopped. In the begin just a little, barely noticeable but it gets worse. Could be worse after standby, but I can not confirm this. I also noticed that the fan is running at high speeds at all times, I can not say if this is normal.
Problem is, that this is very vomit inducing and I’m not willing to test this every day.  

Headset is updated and on the latest version. There is no software installed at all. There are no errors of any kind. Streaming works, but has the same issue. Its also not the room, as other inside-out tracked headsets like the Oculus Quest 1 and 2, the HP reverb G2, Pico Neo 3 and even the Hololens 1 and 2 work fine (but I tried different rooms).  

@Jack83 In the video you provided, it looks like there is quite alot of bright light or sunlight which is at the maximum range of the SLAM system's sensitivity. It means that huge portions of your environment are completely washed out and have a lack "tracking features" for the cameras to view and and calculate agaist. That headset does not have standard RGB cameras - they're infrared sensitive.

Tune down the environmental brightness of your room and use pass through to identify and remedy large that are washed out and devoid of tracking features - that's definitely a factor.

You ideally shouldn't ever have your headset out in a room where the lenses could get exposed to direct sunlight. It only takes a few seconds of direct exposure to cause a burn on the display due to the use of lenses.

If it's sunlight, that has the added affect of moving throughout the day which can cause drift on slam headsets.

The video also doesn't show the floor plane setup - it would be helpful to see that step too.