PC doesn't detect USB connection to VIVE Focus 3

Dirk H

So I have a VIVE Focus 3 and I wanted to develop an app using the Wave SDK for Unreal. The problem is, that when I plug in the VIVE into my PC, my PC doesn't recognize it. 

What I've tried:

- Turning on "USB Compatibility Mode"

- Using different USB cables

- Using different USB ports

- Using different Computers

Is this a common issue? How do I solve it?

PS: Using other standalone VR headsets like the Pico Neo 3 or the Oculus Quest works just fine.

6 minutes ago, C.T. said:

Did u see anything from the device manager?

You mean the windows device manager? No, it doesn't show up there either. Where exactly in the device manager would it show? Neither does it show in the explorer under "This Computer" where connected USB devices are ususlly shown.

image.png.8ce0dce77af155820069610c85fa97b0.png

image.png.a306af2d9c3d92c2fa889bed543a1752.png

2 minutes ago, Dirk H said:

You mean the windows device manager? No, it doesn't show up there either. Where exactly in the device manager would it show? Neither does it show in the explorer under "This Computer" where connected USB devices are ususlly shown.

image.png.8ce0dce77af155820069610c85fa97b0.png

image.png.a306af2d9c3d92c2fa889bed543a1752.png

What's the spec of your PC? or get me a dxdiag report to see if I can figure something out

34 minutes ago, C.T. said:

What's the spec of your PC? or get me a dxdiag report to see if I can figure something out

Sorry to have bothered you. we tried a 6th cable and now it works fine all of a sudden. Are there any specific characteristics a cable has to have in order for it to work with the VIVE Focus?

• 2 months later...

Same issue here. Had this less than one week and nothing but issues.

I'm only able to purchase (free) and download to headset one free VR title from VBA store. (even thought I purchased 5 free titles from store)

None of the 4 ever showed up on LIBRARY (uninstalled) in headset.

I'm using an type C Kuject 20' VR streaming cable (NEW) USB 3.0 adapter for  4 yr old. gaming PC.

S-20 FE Phone type C connection.

FOCUS 3 is NOT seen on PC at all. In any USB 3.0 port. Using USB compatibility  from headset settings or not and thus cannot use headset to connect to PC.

FOCUS 3 is NOT seen on Phone at all for USB tethering. Using USB compatibility  from headset settings or not.

VIVE business Streaming APP on Headset does not work (error message about WiFi being insufficient) which it is an N600 802.11 router for 200MB/S service.

Streaming preloaded content from Firefox Reality works fine.

Very disappointing TECH SUPPORT no possibility of speaking to a "person."  A lengthy chat with a "not very knowledgeable" person ends you into an Enterprise Email CUE. Still waiting on a response.

It's ridiculous that you cannot purchase/add titles from headset store or phone store. "take off headset and go to desktop."

Pretty close to returning everything. This is what I get for trying to Avoid FB in Stand Alone VR. NOT WORTH $1300. 😞

1 hour ago, L0cutis said:

I'm only able to purchase (free) and download to headset one free VR title from VBA store. (even thought I purchased 5 free titles from store)

I'm using an type C Kuject 20' VR streaming cable (NEW) USB 3.0 adapter for  4 yr old. gaming PC.

FOCUS 3 is NOT seen on PC at all. In any USB 3.0 port. Using USB compatibility  from headset settings or not and thus cannot use headset to connect to PC.

FOCUS 3 is NOT seen on Phone at all for USB tethering. Using USB compatibility  from headset settings or not.

VIVE business Streaming APP on Headset does not work (error message about WiFi being insufficient) which it is an N600 802.11 router for 200MB/S service.

Very disappointing TECH SUPPORT no possibility of speaking to a "person."  A lengthy chat with a "not very knowledgeable" person ends you into an Enterprise Email CUE. Still waiting on a response.

It's ridiculous that you cannot purchase/add titles from headset store or phone store. "take off headset and go to desktop."

Pretty close to returning everything. This is what I get for trying to Avoid FB in Stand Alone VR. NOT WORTH $1300. 😞

I can't speak to the USB problems as it's worked fine for me the entire time I've had it, but I agree wholeheartedly about not purchasing directly from the headset. FWIW I love the headset otherwise, it works great with SteamVR and native OpenXR apps (using SteamVR as the OpenXR runtime for now) via USB or Wifi for me, so I encourage you to stick with it and try to figure out what's going on. I have zero interest in supporting Metabook so I'm willing to jump thru the extra hurdles for now, and the headset HAS improved substantially over the past few months. A 20' USB cable could certainly be causing some problems so I would try a nice short length for now to confirm things are working.

On 2/6/2022 at 7:02 AM, L0cutis said:

To answer each one of your inquire,

1. After purchase the apps via VBA, you need to assign the content into your account via DMS system.

2. You will need a better cable if it needs to go 20 feet, a fiberglass one is preferred or purchase one from HTC (Streaming cable)
3. Wireless streaming required 5GHz, ac or above. 

Cheers

• Like 1