Better Quality in Vive Business Streaming

Raeldor

I've found a way to get better quality in Vive Business Streaming, but it seems to come at the cost of what feels like dropped frames.  If you want to try it out and gauge it for yourself, you need to edit the file 'QualityPreset.json' in the 'C:\ProgramData\HTC\ViveSoftware\ViveRR\RRServer' directory, NOT the 'c:\Program Files' directory.  In the file, scroll down to the "FOCUS3" section and change "RS" from 1.0 to 1.4.  Make sure you have closed down the Business Streaming app on the PC COMPLETELY before doing this.  After you've made the change, save the file and restart the Business Streaming app on the PC and give it a try.

I suspect at this point, the dropped frames can only be resolved by modifying the parameters of the encoder, or maybe changing the encoder completely.  I would be interested to hear other's experiences after this change.

I just gave it a quick 10 minute try before I had to head out.  I still had to go in and set RS to '1.4' to get decent image quality, but the encoder seems to be doing a MUCH better job now.  Even with 1.4 set (for higher resolution), I was not experiencing the lag I was getting before.  And I had the 70MBPS option selected and still felt like the image quality was very good.  I'll need to do some more testing, but overall it felt a LOT smoother!  Thank you!

BTW, is there any chance we can get a complete explanation of the settings in the QualityPreset.Json and serverSetting.setting files?

Edited by Raeldor
  • Like 1

I did a little more testing, and Half-Life Alex and Orbus Reborn work great even with setting RS to '1.4' to improve visual quality.  I noticed some lag and 'poor' quality running 'The Forest', which is odd, so I'm guessing this is some kind of PC side bottleneck.  The CPU didn't seem to be running 100%, so maybe that particular game isn't as optimized and stresses the GPU harder causing slow down on the encoder (assuming the encoder uses the GPU).

Overall though it seems to be a huge improvement, thank you!

Now I've just got to get a 'narrow' facial interface, since the 'W' one that ships seems freakishly large to me (and many others who have complained of light leak).  Not sure why it was decided to ship one that wide.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Raeldor said:

I have noticed though, that audio is coming from the computer speaker and not being routed to the headset.

I have this issue with certain audio devices, so I just work around it by setting it to a source I know the Focus 3 will recognize and take over from. If I don't do this prior to starting VBS, I've found it to be impossible to switch afterwards.

With regard to the streaming improvements: I'm really impressed with what I've experienced thus far (200mps, quality, maximum sharpness basically looks like a wired Vive Pro 2). I played without issue for 30 minutes, but then it started to stutter (video and audio) and wouldn't recover (it was still playable, just not as flawless as before). I was using their experimental TCP mode, so I might have to disable that or lower my settings a bit. It could also be related to their new adaptive bitrate feature struggling to find the correct balance. Based on fan noise, the hardware is being pushed a lot harder now.