Scene alignmen with players

JavierAvila

Hello, I have been looking a lot through forums but I can't find any information on the matter, and I don't know if it's because I don't fully understand the concept or because I'm not searching correctly. My question is, I have an experience made in Unreal multiplayer for 4 people that renders on a computer and streams to the glasses. The type of map I have created is LBE mode. The problem I have is that no matter where on the physical map I start the application, I always appear inside Unreal in the same place, so it does not respect the position of the physical world inside Unreal. I don't know if I should use Scene alignment to make sure all players are at the correct distance from each other, or if it is more a matter of passing the position of the physical world inside Unreal and moving the player to that direction at the start. I am a bit lost, any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you by any chance using the the VRExpansionPlugin?

The Template_VR_Player_Controller has some logic to always start the player at the PlayerStart position, regardless of their position in the physical space. You can adjust this behaviour by doing the adjustments as shown in the screenshot.

image.thumb.png.eec434632c7995adcdd571d81cb80edb.png

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 4:30 PM, JavierAvila said:

Hello, I have been looking a lot through forums but I can't find any information on the matter, and I don't know if it's because I don't fully understand the concept or because I'm not searching correctly. My question is, I have an experience made in Unreal multiplayer for 4 people that renders on a computer and streams to the glasses. The type of map I have created is LBE mode. The problem I have is that no matter where on the physical map I start the application, I always appear inside Unreal in the same place, so it does not respect the position of the physical world inside Unreal. I don't know if I should use Scene alignment to make sure all players are at the correct distance from each other, or if it is more a matter of passing the position of the physical world inside Unreal and moving the player to that direction at the start. I am a bit lost, any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

you're developing a location-based entertainment (LBE) experience in Unreal Engine where multiple users interact with the virtual environment through glasses. From your description, it seems like the issue is with the alignment between the physical space and the virtual world within Unreal Engine.

To address this issue, there are a couple of approaches you can consider:

1. Scene Alignment: Scene alignment involves aligning the virtual world within Unreal Engine to match the physical space where the experience will be deployed. This ensures that virtual objects and characters appear in the correct positions relative to the physical environment. You may need to use techniques such as spatial mapping or calibration to accurately align the virtual world with the physical space.

2. Position Tracking: Another approach is to implement position tracking within Unreal Engine to track the position and orientation of the user within the physical space. This information can then be used to update the position of the player avatar or camera within the virtual world accordingly. This approach requires hardware support for position tracking, such as motion capture systems or external tracking devices.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Soma thank you for taking the time to respond to me, I had also come to the conclusion that I needed some type of scene alignment for ensuring that virtual objects and characters appear in the correct positions relative to the physical environment. I am working on it, thanks.

On 3/11/2024 at 12:00 PM, JavierAvila said:

On 3/31/2024 at 6:50 PM, Soma said:

you're developing a location-based entertainment (LBE) experience in Unreal Engine where multiple users interact with the virtual environment through glasses. From your description, it seems like the issue is with the alignment between the physical space and the virtual world within Unreal Engine.

To address this issue, there are a couple of approaches you can consider:

1. Scene Alignment: Scene alignment involves aligning the virtual world within Unreal Engine to match the physical space where the experience will be deployed. This ensures that virtual objects and characters appear in the correct positions relative to the physical environment. You may need to use techniques such as spatial mapping or calibration to accurately align the virtual world with the physical space.

2. Position Tracking: Another approach is to implement position tracking within Unreal Engine to track the position and orientation of the user within the physical space. This information can then be used to update the position of the player avatar or camera within the virtual world accordingly. This approach requires hardware support for position tracking, such as motion capture systems or external tracking devices.

CREWvzw thank you very much for answering my question, it's exactly what I was looking for, you have saved my life.

Soma thank you for taking the time to respond to me, I had also come to the conclusion that I needed some type of scene alignment for ensuring that virtual objects and characters appear in the correct positions relative to the physical environment. I am working on it, thanks.

On 4/9/2024 at 9:35 AM, JavierAvila said:

CREWvzw thank you very much for answering my question, it's exactly what I was looking for, you have saved my life.

My pleasure, it took me a while to figure that one out as well