Choppy Preformance with Wirless Adapter

DLSauron

Review of performance after the BETA Update/Patch. Bios is updated and Ram is installed correctly.

For anyone seeking comparisons between Wireless and Wired with the pro see the following Google Drive Folder.      LINK TO JPEG IMAGES ON GOOGLE DRIVE

SYSTEM INFO:

I5 9600k @ 4.85Ghz
RX2080Ti OC
ASUS PRIME Z370A II
16GB DDR4
200% Super-sampling

PC load at IDLE:
CPU: 1-2% Usage
GPU: 1% Usage

Beat Saber Wired:
CPU: 38-44% Usage
GPU: 45-55% Usage
Reprojection/MS: 6.8
Beat Saber Wireless:
CPU: 95-100% Usage
GPU: 76-80% Usage
Reprojection/MS: 8.8ms

The Climb Wired (Revive)
CPU: 45-55%
GPU: 35-45%
Reprojection/MS: 4.9ms

The Climb Wireless
CPU:
95-100%
GPU: 43-55%
Reprojection/MS: 6.0
Note: CPU being throttled. Frame Rate Halved. GPU load increased. Jittery. Heavy reprojection.

Creed Wired:
CPU: 40-50%
GPU: 45-55%
Reprojection/MS: 6.4ms

Creed Wireless:
CPU
: 94-100%
GPU: 75-85%
Reprojection/MS: 8.0
Note: CPU being throttled. GPU load increased. Jittery. Reprojection felt.

Skyrim Modded VR Wired
CPU: 70-80%
GPU: 50-60%
Reprojection/MS: 6.2

Skyrim Modded VR Wireless
CPU:
100%
GPU: 80-90%
Reprojection/MS: 7.8
Note: CPU being throttled heavily, constant RED “Late Start”. GPU load increased. Jittery. Reprojection felt.

Space Pirate Wired
CPU: 40-50%
GPU: 65-75%
Reprojection/MS: 8.6

Space Pirate Wireless
CPU:
90-100%
GPU: 100%
Reprojection/MS: 11.7
Note:
CPU and GPU being throttled heavily, RED “Late Start”. Jittery. Reprojection felt.

Steam Home Wired:
CPU: 50-60% Usage
GPU: 65-75% Usage
Reprojection/MS: 7.9ms

Steam Home Wireless:
CPU:
95-100% Usage
GPU: 80-90% Usage
Reprojection/MS: 8.4ms

VR Chat Loft Home Wired
CPU: 55-65%
GPU: 70-80%
Reprojection/MS: 9.3ms

VR Chat Loft Home Wired
CPU
: 84-100%
GPU: 65-75%
Reprojection/MS: 13-15ms

So using the wireless system DOUBLES CPU usage on an i5 9600k and increases 2080ti usage by 30%+

Wowza!!!!!!

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of our users opted into the SteamVR update and didn't see performance improvement until they updated their BIOS and fixed the arrangement of their RAM on their motherboard. I would highly recommend everyone make sure their BIOS is fully updated since it governs the PCIe bus. Likewise, if you have dual channel memory, make sure your DIMMs are in the correct slots/channels.

Thanks,

-John C

While admittedly its not a 'new' CPU -- my CPU never spikes over 60% and it doesn't appear to be bottlenecked on the GPU side either. Using beatsaber as the benchmark here. I did go through and update all of the drivers for my hardware -- and that helped a little bit but the overall quality is still pretty rough. Its still pretty choppy and gets pixelated at random times.

Please refer to my Wired V Wireless tests.....

If the Advanced Frame Timing (AFT) chart expresses 20-30% CPU utilization (which is to be expected) yet task manager expresses 100% utilization; is this not indicative that there is an issue outside of the SteamVR program/platform? How would the Beta update even effect this? I'm also curious to why the AFT CPU chart shows the light green area of unutilized overhead whilst clearly the CPU is clearly being throttled hard outside of the VR environment.

CPU usage doesn't accurately match outside of the SteamVR environment. Yet GPU usage from AFT to Task Manager and GPU external monitoring does.

Doesn't this point to a problem external to SteamVR? Maybe with the Vive Wireless platform, to an issue with the Intel driver set or maybe even to the Displayport utilization? Clearly a CPU bound problem. Which would expalin the Ryzen incomptability.

Is Intel going to chime in on this?

Displaylink is responsible for compressing / processing the video feed with the XR CODEC in real-time, perhaps they can chime in with the expected and reported CPU cost of that process? Would also like to know what compression ratio is being used.

Somewhere, something is eating the CPU.

I was having terrible performance with the Vive wireless adapter pegging my CPU at 100%. Eventually I stumbled across a suggestion that helped out quite a bit, which was to go to the "Windows Security" settings(called something else like Windows Defender Security Center in prior Windows builds, I don't remember exactly), go to Device Security -> Core isolation detals -> Turn Off "Memory Integrity" and reboot. It's still not flawless, but this made a massive difference in CPU usage on a i5-6600K + GTX 1070.

This is with a regular Vive, so this probably won't help Pro users or anybody whose CPU is not 100% pegged, but I think it worth checking out this setting. Sucks that I have to disable a security feature to have a playable experience, but it is what it is.

I did a clean install of 1809 before I set up the wireless adapter, which I suppose is why the option was turned on for me as per "it will be enabled by default on new installations of Windows 10 going forward". Turning it off is what helped the performance.

All of these were captured while staring at this wall in the Star Shelter menu room

GPU usage is actually slightly higher with it disabled and things running smoothly, which I have to assume is because some of the CPU bottlenecking is gone.