One Controller will just not track at all

chosenv3

Hi Guys,

I have had my HTC VIVE for around 2 months now. I have racked up around 20 hours playing with it.

Yesterday when I connected everything up again (It is connected to a Alienware 15 R4 laptop so I put everything away every time), one of the controllers just wont track.

Basically, everything shows as connected, but one controller shows as connected but not tracking.

If I force the controller to connect, re-pair or even identify itself, it tracks for around 10 seconds and then dies again.

I have tried the following:

• Completely uninstall VIVEPORT
  • Re-install Steam and Steam VR
  • Checked the firmware of all devices and they are up to date
  • Confirmed All default settings are set including Camera off etc
  • Re-paird controller
  • Ran room setup, both room scale and standing only
  • Connected controller to laptop via cable and held down all buttons until driver notification appears

I am now out of ideas and cannot find much online that offers anything further than the above.

Does anyone else recommend anything or is it time to open a ticket with HTC?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any help with this!

• Is it always the same controller - reliably regardless of which "hand" it intializes into?
  • Do you see any colleration between which basestation you're facing when tracking goes wonky?
  • Have you tried plugging your Vive into other USB ports on your PC? Sometimes this can be caused by a USB bandwidth limitation - another way to help test for this is to disable the Vive's camera within SteamVR's desktop settings page. Disabling the camera is a reliable way to help workaround USB bandwidth/host controller issues. 
  • There is a helpful "unpairall" procedure which can be very handy. 
    1. with SteamVR closed, open explorer to ...STEAM\steamapps\common\SteamVR\tools\lighthouse\bin\win32
      On a default install, this location is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\tools\lighthouse\bin\win32
    2. Run lighthouse_console.exe as an administrator
    3. It will spam a console, type
      unpairall
      then hit enter. The command should execute sucessfully and you can close the console
    4. All controllers will now be unpaired, try to repair the controllers via the standard pairing procedure. 

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply.

Now you mention it, I am not certain it is always the same controller. However I will check this out.

In regards to base station, No, it happens regardless to which way it is facing or even if directly in the middle.

I have tried a different USB port too, There are only 2 on the Alienware laptop and I have tried them both (This was working fine previously however). The camera is also disabled.

I will certainly try the unpairing method tonight when home from work however I have completely uninstalled Steam and also tried repairing directly by pressing the two buttons without it making a difference. But I will give this ago.

Many Thanks,

Craig

Hi David,

I have tried some more tests on this so please see my updates below.

• Is it always the same controller - reliably regardless of which "hand" it intializes into? - Appears to be same controller. Even if i unpair and repair the faulty controller only appears on the left hand
  • Do you see any colleration between which basestation you're facing when tracking goes wonky? No,it doesnt seem to matter however I have noticed that quite often the headset goes grey and I lose optimal sync. I tried moving the sensors 5ft away on tripods facing eachother and same issue.
  • Have you tried plugging your Vive into other USB ports on your PC? Sometimes this can be caused by a USB bandwidth limitation - another way to help test for this is to disable the Vive's camera within SteamVR's desktop settings page. Disabling the camera is a reliable way to help workaround USB bandwidth/host controller issues. yep, I only have 2 USB ports and nothing else is plugged into the other. I tried swapping between them and same thing. I also checked my resources and they are using minimal.
  • There is a helpful "unpairall" procedure which can be very handy.  Tried this, no joy :(

Any more advice would be great please. Thanks

Hello,

I have made some more observations.

Usually, the controller shows as tracking before I go into a game.

Once I go into a game, it then stops tracking and continues to not track even if I exit the game.

Second, I played around with my sensors. I unpowered one of them and set the other one to mode A facing me. I then went through the room scale wizard again and launched beat saber. same issue. I then tried the other lighthouse and opened beatsaber.. This time IT WORKED! Which is really weird.

I then closed beat saber and opened Serious SAM 3 VR BFE, the issue occured again and it lost tracking (This time showing as contoller two and not the first one).

I quit Serious SAM and open BeatSaber again but the issue remains.

I am now unable to get it working again.

I am giving up for tonight, hopefully you would be able to offer some more advice for me to try tomorrow.

Thanks,

Craig

• 2 months later...

We have exactly the same issue here, brand new Alienware 17 R5, brand new VIVE, and we have several of each, none of them work, one controller (not the same hand every time) will always lose tracking at some point, either a few seconds up to a minute or so, click "identify controller" will cause it to vibrate and temporarily bring it back but loses tracking soon after. What is going on???

• 1 month later...

Hi

I also have same problem. 

Brand new Acer Aspire 7 i7-8750H with GTX1060, Windows 10

Brand new Vive 

One controller keeps losing tracking. Sometimes it will run fine for 15 minutes or more but other times only a few seconds. Sometimes doing “identify controller” is enough to get it back. Other times it needs to be powered off and re-paired. Then it usually loses tracking repeatedly. 

What I have confirmed is that it is always the SECOND controller to be paired that loses tracking. I have repeated this test multiple times swapping the order of pairing and every time the first controller to be paired continues to work fine but the one that is paired second is the one that drops out. So it is not a fault with a particular controller. 

The headset is tracking perfectly 

I have tried the following based on what I could find on forums:

Updated software

Updated all drivers I can find

Updated graphics card drivers

Updated firmware in Lighthouses and controllers 

Turned off USB power management

Turned off Headset camera

Tried using USB2 and USB3 sockets 

Set audio to HTC Vive 

Unpaired using lighthouse_console.exe

Covered all reflective things in room

Set up in a different room

Restarted computer and Steam multiple times 

1. Still the same problem. Getting really boring. 

Next mission is is to try my whole system on a friends machine. And then maybe try their hardware on my machine. 

Any suggestions muchly appreciated. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue too. 

Haven't use my vive in a while. Used it for about 30minutes and then one of the controllers stop tracking completely with no apparent reason. 

• 2 months later...

We have the exact same issues with our systems. We have about 20 different systems online, with more coming, and battle controllers constantly "connected but not tracking" when pulled off the chargers, then sometimes drop in the middle of the experience. Using the Vive Pro system. Have submitted multiple reports and support tickets with Steam, Valve, and Vive - no real answers. We are chasing down an issue with EMF potentially affecting the USB drives and bluetooth signal, but it is really frustrating.