On going Cosmos controller tracking issues

Fink

Hi again.

I have another question. I am curious as to how the engineers are approaching this issue with the controller instability?

Are they approaching the problem by integrating the acceleration and Gyro sensor data from the controllers or are they just relying on the visual sensors? Due to the design a integrated approach would seem to be the best approach. Even after the last update they still fly around when close to the HMD visual sensors so clearly that path is not working and has obvious limitations.

Also not everyone is in a position to setup external sensors in their environment nor are they probably willing to go to the extra expense until these issues are resolved as we need to be confident in the product going forward.

I look forward to your response.

Thanks Fink.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fink said:

Hi again.

I have another question. I am curious as to how the engineers are approaching this issue with the controller instability?

Are they approaching the problem by integrating the acceleration and Gyro sensor data from the controllers or are they just relying on the visual sensors? Due to the design a integrated approach would seem to be the best approach. Even after the last update they still fly around when close to the HMD visual sensors so clearly that path is not working and has obvious limitations.

Also not everyone is in a position to setup external sensors in their environment nor are they probably willing to go to the extra expense until these issues are resolved as we need to be confident in the product going forward.

I look forward to your response.

Thanks Fink.

I agree with this. I think part of the reason the tracking on the Rift S is good is because they heavily rely on the accelerometer and gyro while the controller is not in direct line of sight.

Hi @Fink & @Ldrakeh,

Thank you for sharing your insights! Great observation and proposed solution on addressing the tracking. Fortunately, I'm confident they're taking this approach, there's just a little bit more to solve to get it working in the standards of other headsets. It does take a bit more time, and I do apologize for that. Rest assure though, the updates will be ongoing until are customers are beyond satisfied with the inside-out tracking. 

That being said, the external sensor plate for the Cosmos is an add-on to give users the flexibility of customizing their perfect VR headset. The intention for the external sensor plate are for users who really want that sub-millimeter tracking, to use the VIVE or Index controllers, or to use the VIVE trackers in their environment. It is not intended for every user to purchase to meet the standards of tracking - we understand the current tracking with Cosmos isn't meeting customer expectations so we are working to address this in the sw updates. 

Nonetheless, I'll share your post to our engineering team! We love the support, patience, and constructive feedback from all of you. Thank you

Steve

• Thanks 4

On 12/13/2019 at 12:23 PM, stvnxu said:

Rest assure though, the updates will be ongoing until are customers are beyond satisfied with the inside-out tracking.

"No Man Sky" playbook: really bad launch, but sticks with it and continues to update it into something worthwhile. That is what I'm hoping for!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Phr00t said:

"No Man Sky" playbook: really bad launch, but sticks with it and continues to update it into something worthwhile. That is what I'm hoping for!

Or, like No Man's Sky, goes beyond what was originally promised. Now that would be nice.and restore a bit of faith in HTC!

• Like 1