Have wireless kit installed... But ?

alcpowell

Hi Guys,
Have the wireless kit installed on the Cosmos now, but recently noticed this item on the website;

https://www.vive.com/uk/accessory/cosmos-converter/

Could this be connected to the headset cable, if removed from the wireless receiver, for say, seated gaming etc ?, withouth having to strip and refit the headset from wireless to wired ?
If so, can you guys look at making a clip/case for it, even just to clip it on your collar or something.

@Synthesis

Thanks in advance,
Alan

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 6:48 AM, alcpowell said:

Hi Guys,
Have the wireless kit installed on the Cosmos now, but recently noticed this item on the website;

https://www.vive.com/uk/accessory/cosmos-converter/

Could this be connected to the headset cable, if removed from the wireless receiver, for say, seated gaming etc ?, withouth having to strip and refit the headset from wireless to wired ?
If so, can you guys look at making a clip/case for it, even just to clip it on your collar or something.

@Synthesis

Thanks in advance,
Alan

Alan, that item is simply a replacement for the Link Box that came with your Cosmos and is a little more compact.  However, there is not much advantage to this for most imho.

To go from Wireless back to tethered (I have done this a couple of times btw) you first go to your Vive Cosmos menu, wireless, and disable this.  Then you need to hook up your Link Box again.  Actually you can leave it hooked up when wireless as long as you do not power it on = green light.  Then disconnect the short wireless headset cable and replace it with the long wired one and reconnect it to your Link Box.  Restart everything, power on your Link Box, startup your Vive Cosmos console and you should be good to go.  If you want to go back to Wireless; exit your Vive Cosmos console, power off your Link Box, change headset cables, startup the Vive console, menu, wireless, and re-enable it (you may need to re-pair your wireless connection).

Just my opinion but if you go wireless and you are happy with it you should just keep it wireless and avoid switching back and forth.  Constantly plugging/unplugging/plugging your headset cable may eventually damage the headset's connector imho.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@sphinckoma please tell me more about the grey screens and overheating.

I'm experiencing grey screens generally 20-30mins on. Vive told me it was reflections causing it but we always face the same direction and in the same room. The Wigig adaptor is warm to touch and looks to have no passive or active cooling at all. Could the on board chips be throttling down because of heat issues? 

How did you power the fan? was there a noticeable difference in performance. 

@Synthesis

• Like 1

Same problem over heats every 10 to 20 minutes depending what I'm running. Having something that hot strapped to your head can't be so good for your health. Hopefully Vive have done safety testing on this device for extended periods. In any case it isn't of much use if you can only use it for 20 minutes max before it drops out no matter how good the working connection is.

Fink.
@Synthesis @jagibson @C.T.

47 minutes ago, Glaucoma Predator said:

Where do you all live that these units over heat.

I'm in Australia but should it matter where on the Earth you live for your devices to not overheat? I mean, my PC with super hot graphics card works, my TV, Blu-ray, xbox stereo, fridge (just kidding about that last one 😎) all have no issues even on really hot days it's just this one device that people are having the issue with so yeah in my view it could probably have done with a fan or another heat sink. I just saw a review where they measured 52 C sitting on top of the head which anyway you look at it is not good. Unfortunately I didn't see it until after I bought it just the ones that said how good it was when it works lol. I guess I can just build myself a specially refrigerated room with a few nice pics on the walls and really bright lights, everything should work great 🤔 just sayin'. 

Fink. 

2 hours ago, Glaucoma Predator said:

Where do you all live that these units over heat.

Just to give you an example of the over heating. After a tone of research it looks like the overheating is a major cause of Grey screens and stuttering as the Display link processor throttles performance to main temperature.

Currently working on a fan mod for mine as well. 

Room temp around 22C.

Temps in Celsius.

at boot up:

20-01-04 18:30:36.677 +10 0x42FC INFO LOG] M_Temperature=44, R_Temperature=38
[2020-01-04 18:30:37.001 +10 0x1AF0 INFO LOG] (ControlCenter)Link Condition Change : peerSignalQuality = 3, performanceQuality = 3

30mins latter:

20-01-04 18:59:46.685 +10 0x42FC INFO LOG] M_Temperature=91, R_Temperature=64
[2020-01-04 19:00:02.034 +10 0x1AF0 INFO LOG] (ControlCenter)Link Condition Change : peerSignalQuality = 2, performanceQuality = 3

• Sad 1