State of inside out tracking?

Used to own the original HTC Vive, now I am contemplating buying the Vive Cosmos, but it is competing with the RIft S for me. 

I understand that there are resolution differences and IPD adjustments...etc.

My concern is the inside out tracking on the Vive Cosmos, what state is it in, do you still need a brightly lit room?

Comparisons between the two HMDs are welcome. 

Thanks

Don't atm, I purchased cosmos first week and while it had issues with tracking it was steadily being fixed and just took bit of messing around with lights.   Right now it is completely broken I have a paperweight was fine until few days ago and headset updated now beat saber is unplayable on any difficulty where as before no issues playing expert+.  Its the final straw for me with no more info on steam vr tracking for it I am going to contact vive and Australian consumer affairs to see where I stand with a faulty product.

@stvnxu @Synthesis @C.T.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, reaper said:

Don't atm, I purchased cosmos first week and while it had issues with tracking it was steadily being fixed and just took bit of messing around with lights.   Right now it is completely broken I have a paperweight was fine until few days ago and headset updated now beat saber is unplayable on any difficulty where as before no issues playing expert+.  Its the final straw for me with no more info on steam vr tracking for it I am going to contact vive and Australian consumer affairs to see where I stand with a faulty product.

@stvnxu @Synthesis @C.T.

I want to see where this goes. Please keep us updated.

I'm getting somewhat tempted to sell my cosmos for a rift s.

1 hour ago, Hooflee said:

I want to see where this goes. Please keep us updated.

I'm getting somewhat tempted to sell my cosmos for a rift s.

I got a full refund didn't need to take it further then store of purchase, but I do have a good relationship with local store.  Really is a shame as I liked every other aspect of the headset and was even defended htc at one point when tracking was improving but 4 months of not being able to play games I want to play was enough,  I will be purchasing a vive pro as replacement hopefully the display looks as nice.

Edited by reaper

@reaper , I think you'll love the Vive Pro.  Perfect tracking and its oled's are much nicer in darkish games (better blacks and contrast).  The Vive Wands are not quite as nice but still very useable and robust.  I may look at the Index controllers later once Valve has worked out the bugs (thumbsticks and drifting) and when they are actually available in my country.  I also recommend the Etsy Gear VR lens mod (~$60 from Etsy).  These improve the clarity and increase the sweetspot a lot for me.

@TomCgcmfc   I think I will be happy with it too was just bit to expensive for me when I purchased the cosmos but recent price drop makes it a bit better.  I will defiantly pick up some knuckles later prob just order a set from us.     Only thing with gear vr lenses I heard that it increases glare a bit on them?  I am prone to bad migraines  so index was out due to overbrightness in display when compared to pro/cosmos.

Currently the inside out tracking is woeful at best. If your into shooting games guns or archery avoid at moment. 

Also games that require you to lift arm above shoulder, down to waist or slightly behind headset( ie. pulling a bow) glitch badly. 

It's bad

The least they could do is tell us the release date of the external tracking mod.

I'll be returning my cosmos next week if there's no announcement or release about fixing things to where they should be. Tired of waiting around with such crappy tracking. The last beta firmware was 2 step backwards which doesn't exactly inspire confidence and patience to say the least.

That and folks in another thread made a pretty convincing argument that the tracking may be so bad due to a hardware limitation- because the cameras use visible light to track the controllers instead of IR. No bueno if that's actually true.

Looking at Rift S or ideally index

@stvnxu @C.T.