My eye tracker is stuck at a callibration step

@Corvus  Ok, I did a full wipe and reinstall, and it still did not work.  I then did what @alwyuyang suggested and moved the SRAnipal folder to be in the x86 VIVE folder, and it still did not work.  I THEN closed everything down, and signed into a sysadmin account on my computer with full privileges, and that worked.  Even though I tried each combination of running both SteamVR and SRAnipal as an administrator on my account, that did not work.  It wasn't until I went to the full admin account that it succeeded.  After I succeeded on the sysadmin account, I went back to my account and ran it, and it succeeded again.  So I have no idea what all is being done during the setup of the eye calibration, but it seems to need an account with full administrator privileges on the first go.  I'm guessing it creates some stuff that a lesser account can use after it's succeeded once.

The bad news in all of this is that this is a really poor workflow for commercial / research usage, as most companies and universities I know of do NOT allow their users to have full administrative privileges on their PCs.  So even though I have succeeded getting it working on my machine and will be able to write the code and test it here, it's not likely to work on their machines due to this restriction.

Edited by DustProductions
missing a word

11 hours ago, DustProductions said:

@Corvus  Ok, I did a full wipe and reinstall, and it still did not work.  I then did what @alwyuyang suggested and moved the SRAnipal folder to be in the x86 VIVE folder, and it still did not work.  I THEN closed everything down, and signed into a sysadmin account on my computer with full privileges, and that worked.  Even though I tried each combination of running both SteamVR and SRAnipal as an administrator on my account, that did not work.  It wasn't until I went to the full admin account that it succeeded.  After I succeeded on the sysadmin account, I went back to my account and ran it, and it succeeded again.  So I have no idea what all is being done during the setup of the eye calibration, but it seems to need an account with full administrator privileges on the first go.  I'm guessing it creates some stuff that a lesser account can use after it's succeeded once.

The bad news in all of this is that this is a really poor workflow for commercial / research usage, as most companies and universities I know of do NOT allow their users to have full administrative privileges on their PCs.  So even though I have succeeded getting it working on my machine and will be able to write the code and test it here, it's not likely to work on their machines due to this restriction.

Congratulations @DustProductions!  I was admin account when I was stuck. Then I did what I suggested to you. Hence, I am not sure the admin account is necessary @Corvus .  

Hope the HTC Vive Eyer can make our life easier soon!

• 2 weeks later...

@Corvus I have just recently received the retrofit Droolon f1 Eyetracker for the HTC Vive and I am experiencing the exact same issue as described in this thread.
I can see the SRanipal runtime is working (robot head in the tray has orange eyes -> turns green when pressing calibrate), I can see that the Camera module is running and it seems the eye-prediction is running as well (based on the log-file). However, the calibration is stuck in the same way as previously reported in this thread (stuck on the "adjust up and down"). At some point it seemed to react for a few seconds, but then it froze again. 
Note: the Droolon f1 is of course a bit different, but it is running the same SW and the problem seems to be exactly the same.

Things I tried to resolve this:
1. Move SRanipal to VIVE folder in /Program Files(x86) 
2. Turn the UAC to never notify.
3. Run as SR_Runtime + steamVR as admin
4. Switch to admin account and run
5. Running EyeCalibration.exe manually (both as admin and regular)
6. Reinstall SRanipal + Vive
7. Both Updated and downgraded my graphics drivers (updated to Nvidia driver 431-something and driver 417.71)
8. Most combinations of the above

Any suggestions?
@DustProductions there wasn't anything else you did, apart from running it from an admin account? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

(Attached is the Log + steam report of the current configuration)

SteamVR-2020-06-06-AM_10_45_16.txt ViveSR_Log.zip

Important note: I have verified that the eyetracker is running (I used the Unity SDK, though I had to modify the code a bit). But it still won't do the calibration.
Without a proper calibration, the eye-tracking is of course very imprecise and unusable.
Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

@TimmyVonMoerkel Unfortunately not.  I was not in my Unity application when it worked the first time, I launched the Eye Tracker after a fresh reinstall in my Windows Admin account from the HMD / SteamVR menu.  I was not in my application when I launched it, my application / Unity was not running at all.  But after I had my successful calibration, I was able to go back to my non-admin account and run it both from the Steam VR / HMD and my application.  I don't think I launched SRAnipal before I launched the calibration.  I let the calibration launch it.  One other thing I noticed was that even though I moved SRanipal from the Program Files folder to the (x86) folder, is that it was still launching from the non-(x86) folder (in other words it was reinstalling itself there somehow).  It didn't actually work until I was able to make that stop happening.  How did I make that stop happening?  Unfortunately I can't remember, but I eventually got it to stop installing in the wrong spot.

• Thanks 1

Well, bad news.  After having it work for about 2 weeks, it suddenly stopped working again.  I'm met, once again with Initialization failures, images of the "Move headset up" graphic, with the headset not moving anywhere and, a new thing, the headset not even showing up on the graphic, and instead it just telling me to move my headset to match with an empty dotted line.  No idea what causes each of these states to happen, but I am not able to get calibration working either on my admin account, or otherwise.  I also checked to verify in SRanipal got installed again in the wrong folder, and it did not appear so.  At this point, I'm fresh out of ideas again.  At least I was able to demo it working a few times for the client.  This could potentially be related to a SteamVR update that happened within the last week?  It worked last Wednesday, and now it doesn't.  If anyone else makes any progress on this, please let everyone know.  @alwyuyang, does it still work for you?

40 minutes ago, DustProductions said:

Well, bad news.  After having it work for about 2 weeks, it suddenly stopped working again.  I'm met, once again with Initialization failures, images of the "Move headset up" graphic, with the headset not moving anywhere and, a new thing, the headset not even showing up on the graphic, and instead it just telling me to move my headset to match with an empty dotted line.  No idea what causes each of these states to happen, but I am not able to get calibration working either on my admin account, or otherwise.  I also checked to verify in SRanipal got installed again in the wrong folder, and it did not appear so.  At this point, I'm fresh out of ideas again.  At least I was able to demo it working a few times for the client.  This could potentially be related to a SteamVR update that happened within the last week?  It worked last Wednesday, and now it doesn't.  If anyone else makes any progress on this, please let everyone know.  @alwyuyang, does it still work for you?

I am sorry to hear that. My one is still working as I checked it this morning. I didn't change any settings since our last discussion. I don't know if @Corvus can solve it. 

Ok, I MAY have figured out a root cause in my case.  It seems to be related to having too many USB devices active.  I noticed this error when I had my headset half on and half off while debugging just now.  My guess is that the eye tracker was not able to initialize because the usb controller couldn't be loaded or something like that.  The HMD was otherwise was working fine, but maybe the eye tracker was right at the threshold for me.  I'm not sure HOW I managed to max it out, as I don't have 127 things plugged in to my machine, but I did a restart and unplugged a few phones and things, and it worked first try.

So, to prevent my particular issue, you might want to make sure you don't have too many USB devices plugged in to your machine.  🤦‍♂️