2 htc vive in same place

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to beat a dead horse here, but I just bought the VIVE, and i do rather like it, other then getting over motion sickness.... But my question is, if I buy another head set and controllers for my PC (we both have top end PC's) and we only have the two Dumb Light Boxes, will both of us be able to play with just those two light houses on our separate computers in the same space? Yes being aware of safety zones. I have a very large room and have the boxes in opposite corners of the room. works great for the one unit right now. just wondered if i added a second unit if we could be in the same room and not having to buy more light houses. 

Also can I buy just the headset, controller, and the box that connects in between the headset and computer without buying the light houses?

one more question to ask.  how do I quickly get it to change between sitting and standing? like if we play the boxing game we can just be standing and it adjusts right away in the game. but after closing it and then opening Zomday, I was playing that while sitting but it made me really short. is there a way to make it think that I am standing so that I am not like a 6 year old reaching up to get ammo and stuff. also reading was fun while being that short.

, yes - you can track multiple HMDs off a single pair of lighthouses but you need to be mindful of safety and occlusion. In many cases, this often works better with a sync cable as two players in the same tracked volume have a higher chance of causing the basestations to loose optical sync. Within SteamVR's developer settings there are quick calibration features that may be helpful - generally speaking,  most seated games have a command or button that allows you to recenter the view. 

• 1 month later...

Hello guys,

I intend to open a vr studio in my country with 6 vive pro.

Please help me with an answer please, can i use the all 6 htc vive pro with 6 desktops pc of course, with only two base station without problems?

If i put the base station up from the ceiling it is ok?

thx u in advance

, I would not recommend using this may HMD's with 2 basestations - the occlusion will be a nightmare and it won't be a good UX. Mounting the basestations from the ceiling certainly helps with occlusion in some scenarios but with this many tracked devices you'll need a larger tracked volume than 2 basestations can handle.

You'll want to use Vive Pro's with 4x basestations or possibly 1 array of 4 and 1 array of 2. The software update to enable 4x BS2.0 is still forthcoming but I would plan around this deployment. With any multiuser tracked volume, safety is the critical determining factor between what's feasible and what's ill advised. 

Thx for answer David, but the strange thing it is that o was in a virtual studio here in my country and they use 3 htc vive in same room(open space)with only 2 basestation and works v fine,an d the distance between them was only 1,5-2m.

My problem is i whant to put 6 htc in the same room and i don t know how, it is ok i will use 6 pairs of basestation but i don t whant intrferance.

It is any way to do that?

I've never seen someone practically run more than 4 HMDs run off a single pair of basestations. While it is possible; it just gets very impractical quickly since each user needs a minimum amount of space to use the equipment and cable management becomes very important from a safety standpoint when multiple users are in the same tracked volume. I personally never use more than 3 HMD's off a pair of basestations to allow for as much room as possible between users. Six HMD's in the tracked volume offered by two basestations (5 or 6 meters diagonally) places the users so close together it could be a liability and impacts their UX by restricting them to a rather small volume. It likely can be done if you mount them on the ceiling; it just isn't going to provide the best UX. 

You cannot use more than two of the first generation basestations in the same area without physically partioning the tracked volumes from one another. The new 2.0 basestations compatible with Pro will allow you to pair upto four basestations into an array and remove the requirement for physical isolation between arrays. The software update for these advanced features is still pending. 

Hi David,

We run two Vive Pro setups (4 controllers) in a fairly small room with 2 x 2.0 base stations (we split the room in 2 for our movement boundaries). We find that randomly one controller may lose it's detection. Restarting it doesn't seem to help immediately. If I restart it and set it on the ground and come back after 3-4 minutes it's usually picked it back up. But when it occurs even holding the controller right in front of one of the base stations doesn't detect it.

Is this a problem that Vive is aware of, or any other solution?

Secondly, do you know when the software is going to be available for me to add another base station to the setup? I have 2 more sitting in a box at the moment, and there is definitely a blackout area with my setup in one of the corners.

Lastly, is there any chance of Vive supporting two players in same space by showing an outline of headset and controllers in the same way it shows the blue grid boundaries, so you can see if you're getting too close to each other?

Thanks,

Will

, is the issue confined to a single controller and does the issue persist between setups? Does it occur when only one user is in the space (thus reducing occlusion)? What you're describing is abnormal; if it were related to occlusion or reflection, the controller should track as soon as it gets good sweeps from the basestation. You may want to take a look at your SteamVR log files and see what if any errors are tied to this event. If you isolate it to a single controller; try pairing that controller to the other PC to rule out USB bandwidth/host issues. 

I have no comment on timelines surrounding 2.0's roll out.

Per the last question, something like this would be best handled at the OpenVR/SteamVR compositor level and would be the domain of Valve. From a liability standpoint, there would need to be an incredibly high degree of confidence in the system for it to be deployed as described because the failure case would be users running into each other leading to potential injury. Some apps (i.e. HordeZ) will allow you to deploy the same chaparone config file across all of the PCs involved and then enable your avatars's location to be 1:1 mapped over a network; however,  that's handled at the application level and isn't foolproof.