Fault 03 (Error 10010) on base station, red blinking light

Melnick666

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've started having this problem too. I've owned my Vive for a few months now and just performed the firmware update today after it prompted me to. However after setting the base stations back up, one of them was flashing red and i got a message on Steam saying that a base station was unusable. Is it true the only way to fix the problem is to have it mailed in Red Ring of Death style?

Unfortunately yes, it does mean you need to RMA the base station. The newer firmware images improves tracking quality but it does so by narrowing the timing tolerances that the motors need to be spinning at and you're seeing a Fault 03 because the motors in that specific station are outside of tolerance. You can use the remaining base station in 180 mode by switching it over to channel A during the RMA process (this works best for seated games). 

The fastest way to set up an RMA is via the live chat at https://www.vive.com/us/support/contactus/ (avoid the email form for the fastest response). 

• 1 month later...

So, after much waiting and saving, I received my vive unit today. I've had it for 4 hours and is has been working 'ok'. So far, and I might ruffle some feather here, I feel like the PSVR I am trying to graduate from feels more reliable. And now I have gotten the fault 03 issue. Am I to understand this new unit is already defective hardware and the only solution is to wait for someone to issue an RMA and then wait longer to receive something that hopefully works? I researched for months on the two big dogs in the VR ring. Someone, please convince me this thing is worth the trouble and the frustration, 'cus at this point, my RMA may be through the retailer to see what these touch controllers are all about.   
(firmware bricked motors)¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (the other side of the hill)

• 1 month later...

I just got the same issue. Of course it was about a week past Amazon's (the "authorized reseller/retailer") return policy, and yes it happened immediately after the firmware update. (For what it's worth the unit worked FINE before the update ... I wish I hadn't updated at all).

After spending MUCH time with the online HTC support engineer (I'm currently at one hour in the chat), he is issuing an RMA... and I'm responsible for shipping (for a brand new unit that gets bricked with their firmware update), and it will take "at least 3wks from the time they receive the unit" to process the repair. So, with shipping time, I'm looking at over a month without this brand new unit.

I've noticed that some people have commented that they're getting the "blinking red light" on one of their units, but the headset seems to work fine. My understanding is that because the other remaining base station / lighthouse is doing ALL the work, and the blinking one is not working at all, your headset may APPEAR to be working fine (when in fact you likely don't have 360 degree tracking available now). You can confirm this because if you're facing away from the one that works, and facing toward the blinking one, your headset will probably lose tracking (and go blank). You need to understand that it is NOT "working anyway", and you should get it fixed or replaced before your warranty runs out or your other base station gets bricked too.

• 2 weeks later...

Started out great fun to play. About a week and a half past the return date the vive stopped working. We did all the trouble shooting on steam and htc's sites nothing helped. Contacted HTC Tec support they gave a few others to try but they didn't work. Sent the head set in for repair. HTC is telling me to pay $270.00 for the repair. they say its water damaged. How can you make something that gets strapped to your body (head) and not make it water (sweat) proof. I own watches and phones that are water proof. And for the head set not to be is a manufacturer flaw. Also HTC changed the wording of their warrantee from does not cover water damage other than perspiration to does not cover water damage. So now I'll have to contact a lawyer , BBB and consumer protection agency

This is horrible support on the part of HTC. Once they've confirmed a base station is dead that is under warranty they should send out an advance replacement and require that the damaged unit be sent back. Then take the credit card info from the user with the understanding that if the defective unit is not returned within 30 days, they will be charged for a new unit..

That is standard protocol on items like this. I have a very hard time believing they are actually repairing these, can anyone confirm? I'd think it would cost more to repair them then just sending out a new one.

I've got this problem as well and I'll just buy a new base station, no way I'm going to waste the time to send them a unit and wait a weeks/months to get it repaired.

Also you are correct, that is exactly what is happening, when I swirl my head towards the blinking base station it blanks out.

Archived