Unable to do a true factory reset - Always reverts to previous batch configuration

CREWvzw

I am trying to perform factory resets on our Vive Focus 3s but they always automatically load a batch configuration when a reset is performed.

I assume this is because I once created a batch configuration in the Vive DMS with the option to "Store Batch Configuration On Device" activated. Because my Organisation has been enrolled in the VADMS trial, the Device Management Systems on https://business.vive.com/ have been disabled for this organisation and I am unable to create a new batch configuration with the option to "Delete Existing Batch Configuration On Device".

To try and get around this, I opened an alternative organisation and I created a new batch configuration with the option to "Delete Existing Batch Configuration On Device" activated. I then factory reset the headset with this batch configuration and I can see that it loaded the new one. I then removed the SD card from the headset, perform another factory reset and I see that it still loads the original batch configuration! Which upon closer reading is actually what should be expected...

So in a nutshell I am softlocked from true factory resets on our headsets, as I am unable to create a new batch configuration with the original Organisation as the old DMS system has been locked out for us. While looking around in Android Debug to try and find if I can remove the batch configuration myself, I notice the folder /mnt/cota but unfortunately I can not access that folder with the default permissions set.

I believe this is hampering our ability to enroll these devices into our VADMS system with the QR Code method as shown by HTC VIVE in this video. Correct me if I'm wrong of course, but I keep trying to activate the QR Code Scanning by pressing the headset button three times but nothing happens.

On 2/27/2023 at 11:02 AM, CREWvzw said:

I am trying to perform factory resets on our Vive Focus 3s but they always automatically load a batch configuration when a reset is performed.

I assume this is because I once created a batch configuration in the Vive DMS with the option to "Store Batch Configuration On Device" activated. Because my Organisation has been enrolled in the VADMS trial, the Device Management Systems on https://business.vive.com/ have been disabled for this organisation and I am unable to create a new batch configuration with the option to "Delete Existing Batch Configuration On Device".

To try and get around this, I opened an alternative organisation and I created a new batch configuration with the option to "Delete Existing Batch Configuration On Device" activated. I then factory reset the headset with this batch configuration and I can see that it loaded the new one. I then removed the SD card from the headset, perform another factory reset and I see that it still loads the original batch configuration! Which upon closer reading is actually what should be expected...

So in a nutshell I am softlocked from true factory resets on our headsets, as I am unable to create a new batch configuration with the original Organisation as the old DMS system has been locked out for us. While looking around in Android Debug to try and find if I can remove the batch configuration myself, I notice the folder /mnt/cota but unfortunately I can not access that folder with the default permissions set.

I believe this is hampering our ability to enroll these devices into our VADMS system with the QR Code method as shown by HTC VIVE in this video. Correct me if I'm wrong of course, but I keep trying to activate the QR Code Scanning by pressing the headset button three times but nothing happens.

Create a new batch file without checking the apply after reset the stock one should suffice then factory reset 🙂

• 5 months later...

Not sure if this would help but you could try powering off, holding the vive and volume down button, then power on the unit to get to the bootloader screen. You should be able to factory reset from there and enroll it as a new device from the console before applying a new batch.

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, ChrisMa130 said:

I am having the same problem, were you able to solve it?

Create a new batch without auto enrollment is the solution. Your headset is currently on auto enrollment if factory reset, this is basically a safety measure and what you choose when you made the batch file. 

VIVE Device Management System | VIVE Business European Union - login to old VBMS if you on VB+

Edited by GhostPsi

17 hours ago, GhostPsi said:

Create a new batch without auto enrollment is the solution. Your headset is currently on auto enrollment if factory reset, this is basically a safety measure and what you choose when you made the batch file. 

VIVE Device Management System | VIVE Business European Union - login to old VBMS if you on VB+

I bought a used headset unfortunately, so I don't think think can work for me?

21 hours ago, ChrisMa130 said:

USA, do you know if they can do that?

You will probably have to provide proof of purchase and everything since the focus3 is probably registred to the other user. Else contact the seller and have them send you a batch file and instructions. This is a enterprise headset and sadly it comes with limitations on moving devices to other user, the subscription and so on. Anything Vive do is a gesture of will in this case probably.