Vive streaming from a PC without USBc connectors

Snow van Night

I want to connect the Vive XR Elite to my PC but the PC does not have any USB c ports. Wlan connection does not seem to work either as the dlan module that brings a network into my gaming room does not seem to have the required Wlan type.

I tried various USB to USB c cables but the best I got was a picture for 3 seconds before going back to backscreen.

Does anyone have suggestions of working adapters that may utilize multiple Pc outputs to get the full signal or maybe knows of a way to set up a wireless connection between the PC and the Headset besides the existing Internet connection?

Note: Not all USB-C to USB-C cables are the same, keep in mind most are for much lower power consumption and/or basic data transfer (think for a mobile phone) this thing (despite its size) is a bit of a beast with power draw, so you need a heftier, higher rated USB cable, they sell an official one here: https://business.vive.com/us/accessory/vive-focus3-streaming-cable/

Or you can probably get away with buying an equivalent with similar specs (focus on USB 3.2 Gen 2 and transfer rate)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a PC with several USB 3.0 and 3.1 but they are not USB Type-C. I have the Streaming cable because I am using it on a laptop PC that does have USB Type C. 

On the other hand I have tested using the connection cable of my tablet to see if the Focus3 could connect using those USB 3.0 and 3.1 and everything seems to work fine. As the cable on the tablet is short, I would be interested in using the Streaming cable on this other PC as well. What kind of adapter could I use? Would just any adapter work or does it have to have any special features? Because there are some on the market that cost from 3€ to 30€ but apart from the interface (3.0, 3.1, 3.2) I don't know if I have to take into account anything else.

I'm thinking about an adapter like this

image.png.7c08a210b50b8e002865dffa6a871030.png

I've actually tested around with this type of adapter. I got some from Syntech I've ordered a while ago, so I was curious if it would work.
While it wasn't really intensive testing, my personal experience was, that it seems to work perfectly fine as long as the USB-A Port is able to deliver enough power.

11 hours ago, Hextaku said:

I've actually tested around with this type of adapter. I got some from Syntech I've ordered a while ago, so I was curious if it would work.
While it wasn't really intensive testing, my personal experience was, that it seems to work perfectly fine as long as the USB-A Port is able to deliver enough power.

USB-A generally doesn't provide enough power for VIVE XR Elite from my experience, you may want to be careful on that. Unexpected issues may occur. 

There are USB 3.2 gen 2x1 ports that are USB-A and support USB-PD, which means 10 Gbps data rate and up to 100 Watt power delivery. But I have to agree that you don't see them too often. 
And now that I'm thinking about it, if a device has no USB-C port, it's probably unlikely that it has one of those.

14 hours ago, Hextaku said:

There are USB 3.2 gen 2x1 ports that are USB-A and support USB-PD, which means 10 Gbps data rate and up to 100 Watt power delivery. But I have to agree that you don't see them too often. 
And now that I'm thinking about it, if a device has no USB-C port, it's probably unlikely that it has one of those.

hmm, in this case (PC without type C or PD port), the wired streaming can be done via XR elite (with battery cradle attached.) A to C is fine, becoz the hmd will be powered by battery cradle with enough power.

• 2 months later...

Hello, thank you for your comments. I finally bought the adapter and have been using it for the last months and I can tell you that it works more or less. It does load the image correctly and depending on how stressed the computer is the images arrive more or less correctly. At the moment it works for me, because I use it for development, however for gaming sessions I don't see it as viable, because frames are lost and sometimes there are even graphic errors that make the experience a bit unpleasant.

Testing it on a laptop with the included USB-C port, the experience improves a lot.