flashing grey screen

Aidarpro

wrote:

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem, after about an hour of playng the display starts to flash gray and the tracking jitters, the camera floats at mid air, sometimes fly away as well as the controllers.

I tried everything: move the lighthouses, infinites install and uninstall (Vive software, USB drivers etc), connect the headset directly with 3-in-1 cable etc. Nothing. I contacted the support, I described the problem saying that they had to try it for about an hour, they gave me a shipment label and, after a week, the headset is coming back with no issue found. What should I do to get my Vive correctly working? I bought it on october 2017 and it never worked as it should. Please help!

PN: 99HALN004-00

SN: FA71AAB03393

Headset SN: FA71DJJ01759

Thank you,

Alessio

Alessio,

Did you try covering the sensor as documented in this thread? I've been running that way for almost a year and that workaround makes mine and most other people's Vive work perfectly, as stupid as it looks. Of course I always wanted a "real fix" from the engineers but I don't even think about it any more. I have had a great time with my Vive with a patch taped over the sensor.

Good luck,

-Marty

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have had this issue ongoing for almost a year now , hmd has been to romania for repair 2-3 times. had new cable 2 times. last time the hmd came back the box was busted up and the nose piece irrepairably damaged, htc refused to acknowledge this and then closed all my support tickets as SOLVED whilst i waited for the details to send the hmd away again. they havge ignored all my contact since this and the issue is still as present as it was 10 months ago. because vive were confident they would fix it this constant sending the hmd away caused my warranty to lapse making all my issues not  their problem. in the end i got fed up with trying and trying to contact them and just have to play and deal with the issue. if by some magic i manage to get a response i would love it to be finally dealt with, but i am more and more tempted to jump to occulus and take my rather substantial social media following with me through the saga of htc and the never ending unhelpful sillyness

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having this issue exactly. I purchased the product from Amazon about a week ago and assumed it was something I could fix on my end. I purchased a pcie-usb port which unfortunately hasn't worked as a fix. I tried messing with various power settings with my graphics card. Unfortunately I threw away the box that the system came in - otherwise I would probably send it straight back into Amazon for a replacement - I don't know how to go about sending it in for a repair. Everything works well for 20-40 minutes when I'm just starting. Then the grey-out area progressively gets worse and worse. until it is more-or-less unplayable.

This video isn't mine and it was referenced earlier in this post, but it is exactly what I'm dealing with. 

Very frustrating. I love it while it's working, but I don't know what to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a Vive a few days ago and Im having the same problem.

Lighthouses are 6ft 8in up (Wall Mounted, ceilings are 7ft high), 12ft away from one another (Optical Sync), angled down at 35 degrees (measured using a protractor). They are looking dead on to each other according to the room overview. 

Link box is connected to a Tripplite Isobar and both Lighthouses are connected directly to the wall. Logged the voltage at the electrical socket for a while and didnt see any Voltage drops, so I doubt its power. Link box is connected via USB to the Asmedia USB3 port(s) on my Asus Z87-Plus Mobo. Intel USB3 or USB2 doesnt seem to make a difference. Im using the mini DP to DP cable as my HDMI is currently in use.

My play space is 2.2x1.8M. The room is 11ftx11ft. If you imagine an 11ftx11ft 2D square with up being the North wall and down being the South wall; Lighthouse B is mounted on the North wall to the left 27inches from the corner and Lighthouse C is mounted on the south wall to the right 16inches from the corner.

I live in north Flordia and am in a room with no AC, just a fan, so its not uncommon for my room to be anywhere from 82-95F (27-35C). Ive noticed that the unit is fine for around 50mins (from a cold boot) then the grey flashes start when looking straight down then eventually (20-30 more mins) start to happen in any direction. If I keep a fan pointed at my face, it doesnt ever seem to happen. If I cover the, when looking directly at the front of the HMD, the left sensor directly inline from the camera, with a peice of black electrical tape, I never have the problem again. Covered all reflective surfaces.

*Shrug*

I dont even think the front of the HMD feels that hot. Its clearly hottest around the camera though. Maybe its SteamVR being derpy? I dont know at this point. Im not using the Beta version. I would love for it to be something else, such as some lazer being bounced in some crazy manner I havent thought of but Ive tried everything I know to do. It always seems to be the left side of my room (from default orientation looking at the South wall, away from monitor), but I cant imagine what it could be. I do have taller (waist height) furniture on that side..... Trying to be as descriptive as possible.

Also Im 5ft 10in. Could it be my height? Doesnt seem like it happens to the shorter female members of my family, thought Ive yet to test that extensively. Ive seen them play for well over an hour and while they dont stare at the floor like I do to see if there is a problem, ive watched the mirror display from the HMD on the monitor and havent seen any grey flashes (that couldnt be contributed to someone walking in and out the room blocking the lighthouse near the door)

4670K at 4.4GHz

GTX 1070 (397.64)

16GB RAM

Windows 10 64bit 17134

The best fix I ever found was the piece of tape. After a while I even stopped thinking about it.

I am now on the Vive Pro and praying the grey-out problem does not occur on that unit as soon as the Summer heats up, especially since the Pro also came equipped with disappointing sound and Support is already 100% busy not helping with that problem. At least back when we had this problem, they really did try to help.

Enjoy your Vive. Try not to sweat the minor hurdles. I guess that's the price we pay for being at the back of the leading-edge of a technology. I keep buying Vive products in spite of their flaws because the design for tracking / room-scale is superior.

BTW, I'm about 5' 8" in Ohio. The grey-out problem didn't occur for me until about this time last year.

Thats what I plan to do. When it works its really fun and the tape seems to be a perfect fix, at least for me. Black electrical tape doesnt leave any residue and is a almost perfect match for the headset's finish; can barely see it.

Edit- Removed the tape and played for an hour today and didnt have any issues. Main house AC was on so it was a decent amount cooler in my room. Also didnt cover up my large mirror on my wall.... lel 

*Shrug*

Going to look into getting a small cheap 5000 BTU GE Air Conditioner just for in here to take the edge off.

Crazy HTC cant figure out the problem. Id almost suggest them sending someone out to an affected house just to test.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine is driving me absolutely mad. Had no real problems with it until lately, the problem would just appear out of nowhere - sometimes immediately, sometimes after a couple of hours, etc.

Eventually settled on it being the temperature which seemed to match up with a lot of other people's issues - no problem, I just made sure the windows were open, didn't play too long, etc - had weeks of it being fine, not a single grey screen.

Suddenly though it's gone into overdrive - nothing has changed with my setup, but now I can't do anything without grey screens appearing every 1 min or so from the moment I turn it on, even idling on the default screen.

Tried everything, keeping it cool, link cable, redoing room setup, rolling back drivers, covering sensors, etc, just cannot figure out what might be causing it. Of course the HMD could just be faulty, but I just can't seem to isolate what the problem is