Unity Direct Preview doesn't work!

Ring

I'm developing with XR Elite and Unity, and I need to use the pass-through development feature that is only available on the Android platform. Terefore I can't switch to PC VR mode, and if I package it directly into an APK, I can't control the program from the computer side. So the direct preview feature in Unity is very important to me.

I followed the instructions on this website (https://hub.vive.com/storage/docs/en-us/UnityXR/UnityXRDirectPreview.html ), but I encountered the following issues:

1. In step 1, I couldn't install The HTC Driver (RR server?) because there were no MSI or EXE files in the downloaded file.

2. In step 4, I opened Vive Business Streaming, but it couldn't connect to anything and I don't know where to start Vive_rrClient.apk on my headset.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me solve these problems.

@Ring
Use the right-click context menu on the files to install them in windows, like other driver files.  This will help with the usb workflow

Also - the vive_rrClicent is installed as part of the workflow, and if you don't see it, likely adb isn't on your environment path, and when you pressed the button it didnt' work. That said, it's my understanding we're quickly transitioning to using VBS as a front-end to this instead of that apk, so when testing newer sdks, I typically select 'use vive streaming' option in the headset after connecting the usb cable.

Hi @Alex_HTC~

When I right-click on the files in the context menu, there is no option for installation. I also tried right-clicking on XR Elite in the device manager and selecting "Update Driver Software," but it didn't work either.....

image.thumb.png.53cf01c9d8cc929c2415bebce7b5e4dc.png

n addition, I am quite sure that my adb is on my environment path, and when I pressed the button, it showed "install success" message in my Unity console. However, I still cannot find the vive_rrClient on my headset. 

image.png.6c528dc63d8eef4e9755b688275ac4fe.png

Also, when I try to use the VBS method, whenever I press the play button in Unity, it automatically opens Steam VR on my computer and runs Steam VR home in the headset instead of my Unity project. How can I solve these issues?

Big thanks

Right clicking the ini files in the driver unzip is what shows the option to install the driver

Some newer users have reported not needing it, but I know i did the first time i saw things work, so your milage may vary

The vbs method relies on steamvr

Hi @Alex_HTC

I followed the steps for Direct Preview by WiFi, but when my headset's VBS connected, it keeps showing "Vive Business is connected, please waiting Steam VR", and my computer's Steam VR cannot detect my XR Elite. Pressing the play button in Unity also has no response.😭

Hi, @Tony PH Lin,

I've tried not to open VBS and pressing the play button in Unity after I pressed "Start streaming server" directly, but it still not work!

I also tried both open or not open VIVE Streaming Hub on PC with opening VBS on headset and there was nothing show in my headset after I pressed the play button in Unity.

Can you use direct preview successfully in Unity?

Yes, use only the server and client provided in the Direct Preview Control Panel - they are a different even though the client has the name "Vive Business Streaming" in the device's Library listing. Also ignore the "waiting for SteamVR" message, SteamVR is not needed.

Make sure adb is in your system path and that you project path doesn't have spaces.

Also make sure to select Wave in both Android and PC tabs of XR Plugin Management in Project Settings.

When it's "waiting for SteamVR", it's waiting for you to hit the Play button in the editor.