Missing material in URP for hand tracking

vethetheth

Hello. Using the latest Wave package, the hands are pink (missing material) when I use URP whereas the controllers are fine.
Could this be looked into? We are re-applying the material each time a hand disappear and this doesn't looks optimized. We can't modify the hands because it is part of the packageCache and is read-only. Using custom hands through the VIU / Wave custom hands doesn't do anything image.thumb.png.d8f597582cff576fc8830669caa3daee.png

image.thumb.png.0c9d48841635122d8ba47b4af1f153a2.png

(this is a blank project, let me know if you can reproduce it on your hand)

here the gameobjects are empty because it doesn't work so I removed them, but putting objects in any custom models for the hands / controllers doesn't work, I tried every Wave Vive Hand tracking field.
If you have a sample to customize hand / controller models please send it, thank you

• Thanks 1

@vethetheth

Howdy!

It looks like there may be an issue. I was able to reproduce the issue on my end and we'll see what we can do. @Lawrence may have some better suggestions as well

For starters - i'm not sure you should be seeing "pink". I was able to get the hands up and running, but they are invisible.
So it looks like the materials in your project haven't undergone the standard upgrade process - 

To convert your materials to URP, go to Window > Rendering > Render Pipeline Converter. In the Render Pipeline Converter window, select Built-in to URP from the Convert From dropdown menu. Then, check the Material Upgrade checkbox and click the Initialize Converters button. Finally, click the Convert Assets button to convert your materials to URP.

You should see something like this
image.thumb.png.082730dea5c5bf8674d634cc36679df9.png

If you can zoom in a bit (or squint hard) you may see that there is no material converter for the hands. This should at least get you to a spot where the hands are invisible. Or if you want, you can start from the project where i got to this point here, for reference https://github.com/hardcoded2/viu_test  So at least we should be on the same page now.

Ok, for a workaround until the team can look at it -- 

Go to the slider next to render model hook, and a pre-configured version of this as a preset
image.png.6a8bc7862a95bb078936ab998bf88e5e.png
image.png.a9e662c296df96bdef31071a66253264.png

And then you can save that new render model preset as a default, so when you create a new component it will be set up this way. You can do this by selecting "add to RenderModelHook default" button.
image.png.d4aa5568398213a7866d326be2a3a52a.png

Note that if you want to change the model instead (since you indicated this was the desired behavior) of the override shader, it should work all the same

Thanks for reaching out!

-Alex

12 hours ago, Alex_HTC said:

@vethetheth

Howdy!

It looks like there may be an issue. I was able to reproduce the issue on my end and we'll see what we can do. @Lawrence may have some better suggestions as well

For starters - i'm not sure you should be seeing "pink". I was able to get the hands up and running, but they are invisible.
So it looks like the materials in your project haven't undergone the standard upgrade process - 

To convert your materials to URP, go to Window > Rendering > Render Pipeline Converter. In the Render Pipeline Converter window, select Built-in to URP from the Convert From dropdown menu. Then, check the Material Upgrade checkbox and click the Initialize Converters button. Finally, click the Convert Assets button to convert your materials to URP.

You should see something like this
image.thumb.png.082730dea5c5bf8674d634cc36679df9.png

If you can zoom in a bit (or squint hard) you may see that there is no material converter for the hands. This should at least get you to a spot where the hands are invisible. Or if you want, you can start from the project where i got to this point here, for reference https://github.com/hardcoded2/viu_test  So at least we should be on the same page now.

Ok, for a workaround until the team can look at it -- 

Go to the slider next to render model hook, and a pre-configured version of this as a preset
image.png.6a8bc7862a95bb078936ab998bf88e5e.png
image.png.a9e662c296df96bdef31071a66253264.png

And then you can save that new render model preset as a default, so when you create a new component it will be set up this way. You can do this by selecting "add to RenderModelHook default" button.
image.png.d4aa5568398213a7866d326be2a3a52a.png

Note that if you want to change the model instead (since you indicated this was the desired behavior) of the override shader, it should work all the same

Thanks for reaching out!

-Alex

Hi Alex.
Thanks for your answer.
I sadly still have pink hands at any steps I followed.
I am using the prefab VROrigin from the VIU sample, and I re-done the process of the pipeline converter to URP.
Sadly no change 😞

Yeah I am doing the checkout properly but unity can't find the URP package you use
I have to import this urp package instead :

image.thumb.png.5677a0801d3e430aa8c2d082babe55c7.png

But I don't mind waiting for an official fix to come out, it is not a breaking bug

• 1 month later...

Facing the same issue, also with URP 12.1.8

Whenever hands appear in the field of view (whether I have materials enabled or not) adb prints 

OPENGL NATIVE PLUG-IN ERROR: GL_INVALID_OPERATION: Operation illegal in current state

Echo @vethetheth - any new developments on this?