VIVE Pro tracking out, original works fine

Raging Beard

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same issue, will upload more details once I'm back at my computer, but in a jist:

My tracking experience is just extremely jiddery. I get tons of missed frames (which isn't the issue with the old Vive) and it seems to be made worse...or at least more noticeable when pressing the main menu button on the controller. I thought it was windows or something, but have now ruled that out. My Alienware 15r3 (GTX 1070) doesn't have a standard display port so I purchased a mini display port to mini display port (1.2, 4k). Nothing else plugged into my computer except the USB cord which cane with the Vive. I haven't been able to even play a game, the jidders are so bad. I've tried about all different options listed by everyone's posts to fix it, but nothing has worked. I think ill have to return it sadly.

I'm not missing frames, but it's jittery or it grey screens. There are no reflective surfaces. I switched out my mouse, disabled logitech. I do not think it's the headset or computers, it think its a software or firmware bug with the new vive because it's brand new. I mean my fix only works if you stand still, mine is still buggy when I move. I wish a vive tech would look at this forum

, reports of this cluster of issues are limited to only a handful of users - we are actively evaluating all reports that we receive as they help contribute to our overall understanding of the factors that could contribute to these symptoms. 

Based on some of the reports in this thread, I'm curious about the basestations part of the equation. There are three revs of the gen 1 basestation: the Vive-pre version, the launch version, and the most recent  9 LED version that's easily identifiable by the 9 LED dots arranged into a simple grid. Knowing which basestation revision is in use is helpful to our teams. Also, it may help to try and see if the issue is isolated to a single basestation as mentioned above as well as preforming room setup. Does anybody else have the same issue with covering a single sensor leading to tracking loss? Per the RAM underclocking, it brings up a good point: Hardware overclocking is a pretty common source of SteamVR tracking issues so disabling overclocking in general may solve some users issues. 

I bought my original Vive around December 2016 so I think I have either the launch or the rev3 basestations. I've tried with and without overclocking but in my case, no difference. Also note (regarding the incredible jidders and missed frames), that I've reinstalled everything from scratch (nVidia driver, Windows OS, Steam, etc) at least twice hoping to get it to work. No such luck. I've also tried installing from Dell Alienware (my comp brand) all my driver's (including for nVidia), as well as the latest driver's/updates outside of Dell. Nothing.

Archived