How to get input from tracker when the controllers are connected

arjun

@InfiniteVR Could you provide the screenshot of your "Manage Vive Trackers" (See attached image) in SteamVR Settings?

image.png.9732996350ed47421a1169415727106f.png

If you could provide your Unity project for further investigation, it will be helpful too.

By the way, did you revert the changes you made to your tracker's json file?

>> VIU plugin : could reproduce the problem on v1.0.6, v1.0.7 and v1.0.11 (downloaded directly on Github page)

Do you mean VIU version 1.10.6, 1.10.7 and 1.11.0?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi @chengnay,

I posted some screenshots of my manager vive trackers in steam VR Settings, please se my first post on page3..

Concerning the json changes, i reverted them, so the tracker i as tracker again and not a controller 😉

VIU Plugin version : yes i did a mistake, it was 1.11.0 and not 1.0.11

Here is a link to download the Unity Project :https://we.tl/t-6O96Vz2mjs

I started from a blank unity project, imported VIU, then, Steam VR.

The scene you should open is named "MultiTrackers" and is under the "Assets/_MultiTrackers/Scenes/" folder

I took the VUI example scene "Assets\HTC.UnityPlugin\ViveInputUtility\Examples\7.RoleBindingExample\RoleBindingExample.unity" as a start and added some cubes and the "TrackerFollow.cs" script i made to track the different trackers.

I associated the trackers roles with the VIU roles panel (VIUBindingInterface) then tested the pogo pin input on the trackers :

When using only two trackers (without controllers), connecting pin 2 and 6 (menu button) with a wire works nicely on both of them (The cubes scale up )

When i add more trackers or the controllers, the pogopin input will not work consistently anymore.

If you need more info i can make a video to show exactly the problem and how it is reproduced step by step

Edited by InfiniteVR

@InfiniteVR I will take a look at your project.

BTW, I am looking for this setting window,

image.png.d4e4b452a2770fb762843f510836cf4d.png

Would you mind share the same screenshot to me for all the trackers? Thanks!

UPDATE: After checking the latest SteamVR, it does not support tracker to get input if there are 2 controllers connected!

I will need time to do more investigation on this, get back to you when I have final result.

@InfiniteVR By using SteamVR beta 1.13.8, I am able to use multiple trackers with input. Could you try with this version and provide your result? Thanks!

I found a solution. I changed the tracker role to a different for each one (left foot, right foot etc.) and I'm getting the input for the menu button even when the 2 controllers are connected ! I first tried it with the SteamVR beta version but it also seem to work on the normal 1.12.5 one. 

11 hours ago, InfiniteVR said:

I found a solution. I changed the tracker role to a different for each one (left foot, right foot etc.) and I'm getting the input for the menu button even when the 2 controllers are connected ! I first tried it with the SteamVR beta version but it also seem to work on the normal 1.12.5 one. 

Good to hear that! It is supposed to work like what you did which is described in VIU's Wiki. But, that didn't work for me when I use 1.12.5. I will try again to see if it actually works.

UPDATE: Just double check, it also works for me when using SteamVR 1.12.5. I tried with 2 controllers + 2 Vive trackers.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for not posting sooner, this issue was reported to Valve and this was the solution discussed.

To review, you must map the trackers to other roles (as in roles in SteamVR role mapping) which is separate from VIU role mapping, as per ChengNan's updated VIU Wiki page:
https://github.com/ViveSoftware/ViveInputUtility-Unity/wiki/SteamVR-Input-System-Compatibility

UPDATE: fix should in latest SteamVR

Then in Unity/VIU you can continue to obtain input as you would do with the controllers.

For reference, for obtaining input with Unreal please refer to this post:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...