Cosmos Beta Release - 1.0.8.3

C.T.

55 minutes ago, stvnxu said:

@DickytwoAs I've shared, "By no means is this software update the final major one for tracking improvements. Tracking improvements will continue to be an ongoing basis. We do apologize for not meeting you and the rest of our user's standard of tracking and will commit to push updates improving this step by step. Unfortunately, that "perfect" inside out tracking isn't going to be pushed in one single update overnight. This will be executed in phases in multiple updates - a progressive approach."

You bring up a great and fair point about the timeline of when you can expect tracking to be up to par with competition. I will make the request to our engineering team and let you know what I hear back. Thanks for your patience!

@Dickytwo We do have teams in test labs for this. Please see initial post before this. Note, end user feedback is coupled with our testing team feedback - it isn't the only and main source for testing. I wouldn't necessarily say 'niggles' haha end user feedback is extremely helpful for tracking too. 

@stvnxuI just feel we are going around in circles lately, We are now approaching the 2 month anniversary since launch, and it;'s still not in a condition that I would say 'marketable'. You are still having issues with near field tracking, along with some other elements of tracking. Bow and arrow games along with gun games like Pavlov etc still aren't playable and you should be getting this kind of thing sorted before any of the 'window dressing'' updates as of late. I just want to know that I haven't wasted £700. If I was head of HTC Vive, I would be going mental at the people who developed this headset and launched it in such a condition. So please, just give me a date when this thing will be properly usable and make sure this happens. At that point, I will switch off my OG Vive and consign it to the archive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A-Jey said:

I've read that the Rift S was also facing tracking problems on release... and Facebook is quite bigger than HTC I guess.

Also keep in mind that this is also a chance for us end-users to get things added because they're listening to our feedback.
One great example is the vignette thing they changed because of feedback in this board.

Yeah but 2 months for the Rift S wasn't it? Just around the corner for the Cosmos and not yet near an acceptable state imo. I agree with you with the improvements and it's a valid point, but that should come after getting the headset doing the basic functions upon which it was sold. They need to get the basics right, then the rest can come.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dickytwo said:

Yeah but 2 months for the Rift S wasn't it? Just around the corner for the Cosmos and not yet near an acceptable state imo. I agree with you with the improvements and it's a valid point, but that should come after getting the headset doing the basic functions upon which it was sold. They need to get the basics right, then the rest can come.

Actually Rift S tracking issues were not fixed until its 1.39 update, mid-August.  So, ~3 months from release.  Besides minor tracking issues they also suffered from screen flashes every 10-30 minutes and grip/trigger lag.  Again. all eventually sorted out within 3 months.  The worry for me is that even with a few updates the Cosmos tracking and light tolerance is still not a good as the Rift S was upon its initial release. 

Also, Cosmos controller compatibility still has a long way to go as well.  I guess the Rift S had an easier time since it basically used the same touch controller layout as the Rift cv1.  I've actually needed to keep my Rift cv1 w/2x sensors hooked up and operational in order to even play many of my VivePort and SteamVR games and of course it's also best with Oculus store games since Revive is not fully Cosmos ready yet.  Actually, it's kinda handy to have a 2 headset setup anyway btw.  Right now my Rift is still being use ~75% of the time.

I am starting to lose faith Vive's ability to suss out inside-out tracking.  I hope that when they offer an outside-in lighthouse module that they provide new base stations and controllers at a very heavily discounted price for current Cosmos users.

5 hours ago, stvnxu said:

Hmm. This should've already been addressed and confirmed in our previous software version.

Have you tried doing the following:

Click Vive button on right Cosmos controller > *Opens Lens* > Click Settings > Scroll to Boundary Transparency > Set parameter to 0

Let me know!

Steve

@stvnxu

setting it to lowest value doesn't make it complete transparent 😉

On 11/18/2019 at 12:35 PM, stvnxu said:

@Phr00t,

Hm interesting... I'll submit for our engineering team to look into this if they haven't already. Thanks always for your attention to details and feedback! 

Steve

Hi there, sorry to interject but I’m looking for ways to reduce or eliminate a random loss of controller tracking? Is it a setting I need to adjust or something else; the way I’m facing or the light levels in the room? (tried adjusting these as I figured having less room light would allow the headset to “see” the controller lights better! Yeah.... didn’t work so well as the room boundaries and floor tracking ability vanish).   Here’s what I mean by random tracking loss. Playing beat saber, can hit almost every object flawlessly, infact, I love how accurate the tracking is! 225 out of 226 score for a new player is a testament to an accurate tracking system. However, here’s the fluke.  Once or twice during a song, one or the other controller flashes out of view and misses the swing at object! Ive tried to eliminate all environmental factors such as room position, angle of overhead lighting, minimizing arm movements which could be taking the controllers to behind me or out of the headset camera views... still having the 1-2 misses?  When we’re talking about 1-2 out of a couple hundred swings, it shouldn’t matter.   What bugs me is how well the tracking works 99% of the time and randomly (1% of the time) hiccups.  

Thanks for any assistance or helpful advice.  

~chris

Edited by darkmattermonkey77
Typo
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, darkmattermonkey77 said:

Hi there, sorry to interject but I’m looking for ways to reduce or eliminate a random loss of controller tracking? Is it a setting I need to adjust or something else; the way I’m facing or the light levels in the room? (tried adjusting these as I figured having less room light would allow the headset to “see” the controller lights better! Yeah.... didn’t work so well as the room boundaries and floor tracking ability vanish).   Here’s what I mean by random tracking loss. Playing beat saber, can hit almost every object flawlessly, infact, I love how accurate the tracking is! 225 out of 226 score for a new player is a testament to an accurate tracking system. However, here’s the fluke.  Once or twice during a song, one or the other controller flashes out of view and misses the swing at object! Ive tried to eliminate all environmental factors such as room position, angle of overhead lighting, minimizing arm movements which could be taking the controllers to behind me or out of the headset camera views... still having the 1-2 misses?  When we’re talking about 1-2 out of a couple hundred swings, it shouldn’t matter.   What bugs me is how well the tracking works 99% of the time and randomly (1% of the time) hiccups.  

~chris

Right now, the only way to get decent, but still not perfect tracking, is to have a very good/even light source and good game room definitions (posters/paintings).  Pretty unreasonable requirements imho.  It also helps that your controller batteries are fully charged.

1 hour ago, TomCgcmfc said:

Right now, the only way to get decent, but still not perfect tracking, is to have a very good/even light source and good game room definitions (posters/paintings).  Pretty unreasonable requirements imho.  It also helps that your controller batteries are fully charged.

Hi Tom,

Currently, there is a ceiling 3-bulb high-intensity/natural lighting over the center of the room.  Perhaps a secondary lighting source may help. As for the batteries, I changed them out with new ones.  Lol, that was my 1st thought tonight before powering the cosmos up again.   Something else just occurred to me that I didn’t realize what it was until I read it in this same post.   The trigger button is lagging and failing to respond at times.  

So here the crux of it all.  Are these issues computer-Programming/hardware related or cosmos related?  I had to look up and adjust a sound issue I had upon initial start-up where the audio driver gave preference to the computer instead of the cosmos -(Common place enough to have earned a “how-to-fix” web search)-.

Curious to owners of older HTC VR gear, are some of these tracking and other issues problems the other headsets+controllers experienced?

Edited by darkmattermonkey77
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, stvnxu said:

@A-JeyThanks for the feedback. Could you submit an issue report our engineering team to look into your logs? They will address and fix to ensure this update isn't a step back.

Let me know when you submit it.

Thanks!

Steve

@stvnxu:
Trace No: 20191120155142

I used the headset on 2nd computer yesterday and on main computer all other days.

Main Computer: dark wooden door on the right side,
most tracking problems with right controller.

2nd Computer: light bulb on the right side,
most tracking problems with right controller.

So it could be a right controller problem in general
or a general problem with darker and lighter spots.

7 hours ago, darkmattermonkey77 said:

Hi Tom,

Currently, there is a ceiling 3-bulb high-intensity/natural lighting over the center of the room.  Perhaps a secondary lighting source may help. As for the batteries, I changed them out with new ones.  Lol, that was my 1st thought tonight before powering the cosmos up again.   Something else just occurred to me that I didn’t realize what it was until I read it in this same post.   The trigger button is lagging and failing to respond at times.  

So here the crux of it all.  Are these issues computer-Programming/hardware related or cosmos related?  I had to look up and adjust a sound issue I had upon initial start-up where the audio driver gave preference to the computer instead of the cosmos -(Common place enough to have earned a “how-to-fix” web search)-.

Curious to owners of older HTC VR gear, are some of these tracking and other issues problems the other headsets+controllers experienced?

One thing I would recommend doing with any VR system is to uninstall Nvidia HD audio, and never reinstall it ever again.  When I update my Nvidia drivers (gtx1080ti in my case) I only ever select drivers and PhysX updates.  I also use DDU in safe mode  beforehand.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, darkmattermonkey77 said:

~chris

But EXACTLY those 1-2 misses are the ones THAT matter, you will get the sense when you play the level not on easy 😉
The more you practice you come to play the hard modes and then get your first experiences on expert.
And when you realize you would have finished those modes 100% if not those two tracking losses would have come into the way...

So you nailed it the wrong way: i f they can't get those 1-2 tracking losses under control it's a testament for the failure.

• Like 1