Cosmos Beta Release - 1.0.8.3

C.T.

Just to elaborate on my sub comment, I would really like HTC to say some comment like 'We are bringing out some kick ass tracking update that will most probably solve all your tracking issues' on so and so date. At the moment, we get updates which explain what they think they are fixing, and then seem to rely on us to give the ok on them.

I know and appreciate that they are trying to fix this, but can you please give us a timeline on the major issue, which is overall tracking. At the moment we seem to be getting 'mickey mouse' updates to tide us by.

• Like 1

I also tried this beta last night (fairly low light conditions) and tracking was worse.  I could not even play Angry Birds (slingshot).  I tried again this morning under better lighting and tracking was much better, but not any better than 1.0.7.1 imho.

I agree with Dickytwo, we need some significant tracking improvements asap.  Also, tracking must be a lot more light tolerant imho.

@stvnxu: did I see wrong or did you change something with the inside out cam settings?
The camera view seems to be different as with the old beta (kinda more milky/brighter appearance of the see through view now.

Under the same cloudy conditions that I got yesterday there were situations where the controllers went crazy with the new Beta.
This time I tested Racket NX, first with the 1.0.8.1 and directly after that with the new Beta update.
With the 1.0.8.1 Racket NX was working without problems.
With the new update I missed quite a lot of hits. Back in the main menu of the game the controllers stuck in front my chest,
doing all turnings but no movement sideways or up/downwards.

Also I got more dark light messages again.

For me this Beta update feels a bit like a step back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dickytwo said:

As a sub comment, you seem to be relying heavily on us to do all the testing for these updates. Isn't HTC a big enough company to do this testing 95% themselves? And if so, why are we still having issues? This is the biggest thing that worries me.

Office rooms normally got a very even lightning condition and normally bright walls.
Users gaming rooms usually are the opposite of that.

So our feedback is important imho.

Played v1.8.0.3 tonight. Honestly, it was the most fun I've had in the headset. It was much harder to notice the edges of the field of view without the vignette.

However, can't say I'd recommend this headset just yet for $699. Tracking was... OK, but still worse than the competition. I think the biggest problems are wobbling controllers and controllers getting "stuck" (usually from brief occlusion or brief exit of the camera's tracking volume). I would still get occasional "low light" warnings. Headset tracking had a very slight wobble to it, but much better than the controllers.

Frame rate drops <90 FPS are quite apparent... I'd love to use the compensation option in Vive Console, but it causes significant artifacts, likely because it isn't using the depth buffer.

I think I'm going to keep it, and I really hope you guys keep improving it. I'm more hopeful than ever.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, A-Jey said:

Office rooms normally got a very even lightning condition and normally bright walls.

Hi A-Jey. I had a similar experience and then later the inside out view changed to the outline view seemingly by itself. I couldn't change it back via the console so I went to the Origin start point (not my default) and on the shelf there are two HMD's I picked up the Cosmos and brought it up to my head and it changed back to the more familiar (realistic) pass through view for the Cosmos and has stayed like that. Give it a try.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, lamyipming said:

Still cannot set the boundary (chaperone) to completely transparent. No option to disable it quickly either.

I guess this is the same point as the comment in page one regarding the quick switching between static / full room experience - to temporarily disable the chaperone.

14 hours ago, A-Jey said:

Ok, fair enough with a small company, but we're talking about HTC here. Surely they have test labs that can mimic most typical end user environments. If they're bringing out VR headsets to the public, it would have a to be a pre-req that they have such environments to test them in the first place. Having end users being your main source of testing is strange to say the least. Yes I will say we should be providing 'niggles' for them to sort, but not anything as basic as getting the tracking to work properly.