Game glitch or something more serious?

joellipenta

1 hour ago, stvnxu said:

Hey @joellipenta,

Thanks for sharing and apologies on the issue. I've submitted an earlier report when you started this thread. I'll update that with the latest information you just provided. Our engineers will investigate. 

Are you using the battery that is provided with the wireless adapter? Or a 3rd party? 

Steve

This happens with the provided 21W battery or a 3rd party one. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HoZy said:

Something I haven't seen mentioned here, Check the temps of your Wireless. 

C:\ProgramData\Vive Wireless\ConnectionUtility\Log

Open up your log and look for M_Temperature, 

Post an exert of when it starts, and then 30minutes later. 

It'll probably be hitting about 90c and Overheating. 
Causes controller tracking to lag, sometimes grey screen flashes & other times you straight up fall through the world depending on the game. 

Cheers

Thanks for this! I'll take a look when I get home. I have noticed it gets pretty hot and have been considering adding a small fan, but I'll check the logs and let you know. 

8 hours ago, HoZy said:

Something I haven't seen mentioned here, Check the temps of your Wireless. 

C:\ProgramData\Vive Wireless\ConnectionUtility\Log

Open up your log and look for M_Temperature, 

Post an exert of when it starts, and then 30minutes later. 

It'll probably be hitting about 90c and Overheating. 
Causes controller tracking to lag, sometimes grey screen flashes & other times you straight up fall through the world depending on the game. 

Cheers

@HoZy I haven't used the wireless in a few days but here's the first entry of what you mentioned:

[2020-01-19 21:57:18.374 -5 0x1954 INFO LOG] M_Temperature=31, R_Temperature=25

Here's 33 minutes later:

[2020-01-19 22:30:58.374 -5 0x1954 INFO LOG] M_Temperature=91, R_Temperature=72

40 minutes ago, joellipenta said:

@HoZy I haven't used the wireless in a few days but here's the first entry of what you mentioned:

[2020-01-19 21:57:18.374 -5 0x1954 INFO LOG] M_Temperature=31, R_Temperature=25

Here's 33 minutes later:

[2020-01-19 22:30:58.374 -5 0x1954 INFO LOG] M_Temperature=91, R_Temperature=72

Hi All.

@HoZy

@joellipenta

@stvnxu

@C.T.

Same experience here:

Starts at 09:09: M_Temperature=32, R_Temperature=31

(ControlCenter)Link Condition Change : peerSignalQuality = 3, performanceQuality = 3

Terminates at 09:20: M_Temperature=90, R_Temperature=71

(ControlCenter)Link Condition Change : peerSignalQuality = 255, performanceQuality = 3

(ControlCenter)CallbackDeviceStatus : SDK_WIGIGFSM_STATE_STOPPED(3), reason = SDK_CURRENT_STATE_REASON_LINK_LOSS(1)

(ControlCenter)CallbackDeviceStatus : SDK_WIGIGFSM_STATE_SCANNING(4), reason = SDK_CURRENT_STATE_REASON_REQUESTED_BY_APPLICATION(9)

That took 20 minutes though the temp is rising fast here in Sydney today, is was at 24 C in the room at the time I tested it.

I would like someone from HTC\Vive to comment on this topic to know if this is some sort anomaly, a known issue, a fault or something else.

Clarity is always appreciated 

As someone said they did the fan mod and it still is having issues so what is the require operating temperature for this device. After all when purchasing the wireless device there is no mention of any temperature limitations or that you have to also go out and buy a small fan to plonk on top of it and hack into the battery to get it working for more that 15 minutes 🙂 

I think a comment from one of the engineers or employees and some guidance on the issue is in order so can we please have a comment?

Thanks

Fink

• Like 1

Next thing I'd like you all to test, please log/monitor your CPU usage while using the HTC Wireless while it is having temperature issues. 

If you can all provide some of that info, We can narrow down the issues & specific faults to 2 things. CPU utilization for the VR Compositor as it pipes the signal to your HMD as well as the Vive wireless overheating. 

Cheers

• Thanks 1

I posted this elsewhere but I'll re-post here FYI.

Hi guys I just saw a old post on Reddit and the guy was having the same over heating and grey screen issues after 20 minutes or so reported here so he bought one of these 

Rankie USB 3.0 Cable, Type A to Type A, 1-Pack 6 Feet

and said that the problem went away. I'm going to go out and get one of these or similar and give it a try and see if it works. He was using a old Vive HMD though and it may just be that the Cosmos hasn't been properly tested (surprise) with this unit and is basically incompatible on a component level. 

Fink. 

On 1/25/2020 at 5:27 AM, ACME said:

I bought this cable last year:

Cable.jpg.f59ee82f83402fc2b480ffccbf26d6ad.jpg

It solved my grey screen problem (OG Vive).

And yes, my wireless module is getting very hot, but there are no issues anymore.

IMG_20200125_142000.thumb.jpg.6ee50f6a83bd81d08b1df21732e7a72b.jpg

Ya, like many others, I just use the usb 3.0 cable from my Link Box.  My wireless unit gets pretty warm, but not scalding hot and my pc card has a heatsink and gets lots of airflow from my PC fans.  So, I've never seen any cut outs with either my Cosmos or Vive Pro wireless.  I also have a desk fan to help keep me cool and fog-free.  Maybe this is helping to keep the headset module a little cooler as well.

@stvnxu @Synthesis

• Thanks 1