Wireless adapter incompatible with RYZEN cpus

Mentalunicorn

Well after contacting VIVE support they were convinced that it has nothing to do with Ryzen as I offered upfront and curiously said "I can see you have an NVIDIA according to the system report to the AMD situation shouldn’t be affecting you.".  They had me re-install - OK I was willing to try again - I did and reported back the same problem happened again in about 20 minutes.   It didn't take them long to reply and immediately suggested a return and refund.   I'm thinking this is bigger than they let on.  (If it wasn't a Ryzen issue they would have gone thru more problem resolution steps!)

Being in Canada and also being an early adopter I don't have the luxury of sitting around for HTC to fix this -- if they even can.  So I'm packing it up and shipping it back -- I'll be keenly watching for the release of Version 2.0 or a verified patch before getting another one.

What a shame!  I've already told a local supplier and had them post a notice in the appropriate section of their store about the VIVE Wireless Adapter and AMD CPU's not working together.  It works in their best interest too as they don't have to deal with returns.

A Sad day for me as I was so looking forward to playing untethered.

It looks like the 370 boards are even having problems - there is no "simple fix" by the looks of things!

If it's not running as it was when it was tethered then there IS an issue - don't kid yourself thinking its a game issue or something else!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wrote:

Well after contacting VIVE support they were convinced that it has nothing to do with Ryzen as I offered upfront and curiously said "
I can see you have an NVIDIA according to the system report to the AMD situation shouldn’t be affecting you.
".  They had me re-install - OK I was willing to try again - I did and reported back the same problem happened again in about 20 minutes.   It didn't take them long to reply and immediately suggested a return and refund.   I'm thinking this is bigger than they let on.  (If it wasn't a Ryzen issue they would have gone thru more problem resolution steps!)

Being in Canada and also being an early adopter I don't have the luxury of sitting around for HTC to fix this -- if they even can.  So I'm packing it up and shipping it back -- I'll be keenly watching for the release of Version 2.0 or a verified patch before getting another one.

What a shame!  I've already told a local supplier and had them post a notice in the appropriate section of their store about the VIVE Wireless Adapter and AMD CPU's not working together.  It works in their best interest too as they don't have to deal with returns.

A Sad day for me as I was so looking forward to playing untethered.

It looks like the 370 boards are even having problems - there is no "simple fix" by the looks of things!

If it's not running as it was when it was tethered then there IS an issue - don't kid yourself thinking its a game issue or something else!

And that's just the thing.  I don't want my money back, I want the cursed thing to WORK.  HTC is continually ignoring the requests for an update of some kind.

I can understand if they're dealing with another issue first like the overheating, it would make sense to want to keep people's hair from catching fire before worrying about the thing flat-out not working, but they still haven't told us anything.

They simply ignore the anger and ill-will they are generating and totally do not address anything in these threads directly.

At this point I'm hoping somebody can get a major site like Tom's Hardware or Consumer Reports to do a review on HTC's shifty customer service and disdain for their high-paying victims.  They deserve to have their name dragged through the swamps of the Internet to serve as an example to others of what happens when you rudely disregard your clientele.

wrote:

wrote:

Hope the ASRock works for ya, my second night with it went without a hitch!.

Well.. Standout VR loaded, but none of the menus worked, I really wanna rule this as the game being faulty than the headset.

Charging up battery as we speak for night 3!

Success finally! This particular motherboard is working for me (so far).  I switched from a MSI B450 Tomahawk to the Asrock AB350 PRO4 (with my original Ryzen 2600x and GTX 970) and I was able to burn through an entire battery pack with no BSOD, and I'm currently on the second pack with no crashing issues.  I updated the bios to ver 5.00 and installed the latest AMD Chipset drivers. Have played Beat Saber, Space Pirate Trainer, The lab, Holopoint and Skyrim.  The only problem I've had so far was when SteamVR suddenly dropped connection of the headset, lighthouses and controllers, and reconnected everything about 30 seconds later.  Not sure why that happened, but was during the Budget cuts demo.  Everything else has been smooth.  I have the WiGig card installed in the top PCIe 1x slot, and my GPU in the 16x slot below that.

In my VR rig I have a asus tuf b350m-plus gaming and it works for like 10 mins and then locks up my whole computer and I have to manually reboot. I ordered a a PCIe x1 riser card since it's getting blocked by my GPU. If that doesn't work, then I have a Asrock AB350M PRO4 in a Plex server I built this year. So I might just swap the two and see if that will work, since that one is what I assume is just a cut down version of the Asrock AB350 PRO4. Hopefully it will work, and thank you for your research and for reporting your findings in this.

I'm sure we all want it working (why else would we have purchased in the first place) but ...what if... it is a design flaw requiring a replacement of the wireless card or other hardware? At some point the "returnable for refund" windows will be gone and then what? I just say cut your losses and return it now - IF they get it working with ver 2.0 or a patch THEN get it again. Why not contact Tom's hardware? I'll bet that's news worthy and point to this discussion thread for additional info - I'm sure almost all of us readers would be happy to provide our 'stories'!

wrote:

I'm sure we all want it working (why else would we have purchased in the first place) but ...what if... it is a design flaw requiring a replacement of the wireless card or other hardware? At some point the "returnable for refund" windows will be gone and then what? I just say cut your losses and return it now - IF they get it working with ver 2.0 or a patch THEN get it again. Why not contact Tom's hardware? I'll bet that's news worthy and point to this discussion thread for additional info - I'm sure almost all of us readers would be happy to provide our 'stories'!

Yeah, I think the REAL story here isn't the hardware problems, but the utter disregard for customer satisfaction shown by HTC.  Their evasive behavior has been totally unacceptable in all this!

YEP! just returned it today. I'm more let down then angry about all of this with no update or PR control. A brick did a better job at being a paperweight AND a wireless adapter then the adapter did itself.

Money talks, if they fix their product i'll buy it again. Until then, they can have it back.

Well its happening to me also, worked for a near full battery, then BSOD with a DCP_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION.

No afater 10-20 mins it does the same after a reboot it cant fined the card. So I have to reboot again to find the card. The I have to pair it again.

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.9

16GB of DDR4 @ 3200

Vega 64 LCE

ASUS Crosshair VI

Lattest drivers... 

I haven't put a ton of time into this, but I just received the Vive wireless adapter. It wasn't until after I received it that I found about the issue with AMD. Instead of returning it I decided to try it out and test it as much as I could. I have about 5 hours of game time.

Everything was working perfectly until I was showing it to another person. While they were playing I turned off family sharing on steam to browse new VR games and my computer immediately froze.

After playing around with what game we were playing and family share, I found out the following. The moment I turn family share off and I start playing VR, it will crash in about 5 minutes. If I turn it off mid playing, it will immediately crash.

I haven't received a BSOD like others have reported. I run a AMD Ryzen 7 1700X with a GIGABYTE AORUS GA-AX370-Gaming 5.

I'm happy to post more info about my system but hopefully this will help others with an AMD.

Archived