Cosmos Beta release - 1.0.8.5

C.T.

VIVE Cosmos 1.0.8.5 – Beta Release Notes
Released November 26th 2019 

[System]

• Improved system stability for use over longer durations.

[Tracking]

• Controller
    • Optimized tracking trajectory for boxing style movements and archery games.
    • Support simultaneous movement of occluded and non-occluded controller within the headset's field of view.

[Vive Runtime]

• Added fallback controller type, support added from SteamVR Beta 1.9.4 onwards.

[Vive Console]

• Solved a bug where the HMD firmware update might be interrupted during a software update.
  • Synced camera pass-through settings with Lens.

[OOBE & Room Setup]

• The how to wear the headset video now lets the user know they don't need to take off their glasses.
  • Room setup can be triggered when in an untracked state by a long trigger press for 2 seconds (previously 3 seconds).
  • Improved the OOBE flow when requesting a GPU driver update.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, C.T. said:

VIVE Cosmos 1.0.8.5 – Beta Release Notes
Released November 26th 2019 

[System]

• Improved system stability for use over longer durations.

[Tracking]

• Controller
    • Optimized tracking trajectory for boxing style movements and archery games.
    • Support simultaneous movement of occluded and non-occluded controller within the headset's field of view.

[Vive Runtime]

• Added fallback controller type, support added from SteamVR Beta 1.9.4 onwards.

[Vive Console]

• Solved a bug where the HMD firmware update might be interrupted during a software update.
  • Synced camera pass-through settings with Lens.

[OOBE & Room Setup]

• The how to wear the headset video now lets the user know they don't need to take off their glasses.
  • Room setup can be triggered when in an untracked state by a long trigger press for 2 seconds (previously 3 seconds).
  • Improved the OOBE flow when requesting a GPU driver update.

Help....   I started the cosmos up tonight, updated the drivers. Found myself under the virtual floor?  On top of that, if I cross the controllers in front of my face/headset, the virtual ones bounce in and away from me.  The tracking issue appears to getting worse, not better.  I keep defending HTC and this purchase but I’m starting to get the feeling that I’ve backed the wrong product...  the oculus S is starting to look better and cheaper.  I know this sounds ridiculous too.  Another thing that’s adding to the feeling is that fact of asking over and over to get a clear idea of how the controllers are tracked so that I can assist in my own troubleshooting and diagnosis of a growing tracking issue, yet I’ve received no replies or info regarding this simple inquiry.  I downloaded and printed up the cosmos 67 page user guide only to find it’s useless when troubleshooting the controllers?  50+ pages of info and directions for the headset, 2 pages of nothing really helpful about the controllers.

Again.  Just a little help please.

Not asking for super secret HTC technological info here, just a basic understanding of controller tracking. I know they are mostly tracked by the cameras on the headset, what is tracking them when they are outside the range of camera view? 

@C.T.

• Like 1

Two-handed shooting got better. In the past it was terrible. It’s very bad now. The problem with the loss of controllers. Often they are not there or they are not where you need to. Especially after starting the helmet. This has always been, but is now a little worse.

• Like 2

Apparently my repeated complaints about disabling the boundary - or setting the boundary to completely transparent, i.e. exactly zero, didn't get passed on to the engineers.

If I sit near the boundary, the lines are still clearly visible and there's no way to disable that.

I don't understand where did HTC get the idea that all users must always want to stand in the center of the play area and will never once in a while sit on the sofa which happens to be located exactly at the freaking play area boundary to enjoy some movie with the VR headset. Yeah the users must still want to see the boundary lines so much even though they drag the opacity settings all the way to the far left. Let's always show them the boundaries in the movie player, it's good for them.

Please, HTC, this should be a very easy fix. I mean, this is my last post about this. If this never gets fixed, I'll just accept my fate and be responsible for my poor life choices. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lamyipming said:

Apparently my repeated complaints about disabling the boundary - or setting the boundary to completely transparent, i.e. exactly zero, didn't get passed on to the engineers.

If I sit near the boundary, the lines are still clearly visible and there's no way to disable that.

I don't understand where did HTC get the idea that all users must always want to stand in the center of the play area and will never once in a while sit on the sofa which happens to be located exactly at the freaking play area boundary to enjoy some movie with the VR headset. Yeah the users must still want to see the boundary lines so much even though they drag the opacity settings all the way to the far left. Let's always show them the boundaries in the movie player, it's good for them.

Please, HTC, this should be a very easy fix. I mean, this is my last post about this. If this never gets fixed, I'll just accept my fate and be responsible for my poor life choices. 

Open up the configuration file located in <Viveport install directory>\VIVE\Updater\App\ViveVRRuntime\ViveVR\ViveVRServer\config\default.vrsettings

Under "collisionBounds" and "camera" you'll see options for the color (RGB) and alpha (A). Try setting these to zero. Feel free to mess with other values in this area to get rid of the bounds.

• Like 1

Sorry to say, but only minor improvements  daylight tracking got a little better, but in a completly lit room, my controllers go sometimes everywhere, i had one time 10 minutes ago i had to wait a least a minute before the controllers where online again.

I have been postiive for a long time, have tried to be supportive, but we need real improvements NOW. I want HTC Cosmos reward also the people who have already bought this headset and tried to help you improve it , we all paid maximum price ( but next friday it will 100 dollars less and 1 year viveport) so you could sell

a headset that was working without the wordt tracking problems. I will not add this up to poor life choices, this is NOT a kickstarter or beta product !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Just tried it briefly on this update by waving controllers in front of face. Very slight improvement but still no where near usable in games like In Death. Surely HTC engineers can do the same and realise it's not working properly!

I'm coming to the conclusion now that the HTC engineers have made a product that doesn't do what they thought it would and are now trying to 'optimise' a bad product. There's a phrase with the words 'polish' and turd' in it which I'm beginning to believe applies here. But it's we, the loyal HTC buyers who have to suffer the consequences.

HTC Vive / HTC Company - Still no way to re-center the display, turn off set boundaries, controller tracking is pure **select negative word**, now if I x2 click the LEFT controller (home) button to display the Steam overlay, the Steam overlay will not go away at all.  The RIGHT (home) button will still from time to time if pressed x2 display totally different pass-through than what I selected.  

On HTC's Black Friday Instagram ad and on their own website, they display someone playing the Vive Pro https://www.instagram.com/p/B5TC8eQh1BW/?igshid=6z9cryopqp6x  

I truly understand not wanting to display the NEW troubled HMD that cost $700 USD that staff cannot and will not fix.  Maybe they should just do more false advertising OR controlled showings of this janky HMD that is by no means close to functional.  

Let's point out some transparent facts:

HTC Website Forums/Reddit page - they are not as active as Oculus nor Valves'.  Days go by with little to no one talking COSMOS, Vive Pro.  More talk/chat of OG Vive than anything.

YouTube - No one is watching or posting for the HTC COSMOS.  Every heavy hitter from YouTube has provided their input which was not good for the HTC COSMOS and they recommend consumers to look elsewhere.  Open YOUTUBE right now and search "HTC COSMOS or VIVE COSMOS" and narrow your search to just "TODAY"...watch the underwhelming results. 

Piss poor performance and production that HTC will not bite the bullet for!  Staff will continue to ignore, sweep matters under the rug, and not take credit.  

HTC VIVE team and all staff - just go ahead and take on outside consultants from OCULUS / VALVE teams and pay them well to fix this mess you all created.  OR provide free hardware (HMD and controllers) that work.  Why continue to put the consumer though this?  To be straight up...no company or organization is to big to fall.  

Tired of HTCs' $h!+ already.  One and done...but never again!

• Like 1

Did some extra tests. It realy is worse, bad tracking aroubd waist line left andf right, played 3 games and google earth vr , Goole earth was the ONLY application in which the controllers did nog go all over.

Can we go back to   1.0.8.1  that was the beste one  the last 2 weeks