[Tutorial] Focus3 OpenXR: Getting Started in Unity

Alex_HTC

On 4/20/2022 at 7:43 PM, bipul mohanto said:

Hello! These Vive OpenXR tutorials are really good with Unity and Unreal. However, is there any vendor specific (Vive ) functions and tutorial for native C++ project? I am using Vive Pro Eye. 

@bipul mohanto how did you get the tutorial to work in Unity ? I have been losing my damn nerves over and over again without anything working properly, please help.

Best I could do is make the camera and controllers position/rotation/tracking work, but the input from the controllers do not do anything.

Edited by dev_imag-ing
more to say

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2022 at 12:01 AM, Hedvik said:

Does the vive openxr package work with Unity 2021.3 LTS? 
I have tried to open the "HelloVR-openxr" sample project in 2021.3.0f1 and the OpenXR Feature Groups + Interaction Profiles have no mention of the Focus 3.
image.thumb.png.cc53c84ce3952981c3f3482fa8fa6d55.png

@Hedvik
However, technically we're focused initially on 2020 LTS but I have had success in builds and running with 2021 LTS
With 2021.2.12f1 it seems fine for me, we're building against multiple versions.

Last I checked, it was also building fine on ci on 2020,2021 and 2022. I'm re-running this (since I timed out storing the builds) on  https://github.com/hardcoded2/HelloVR/actions/runs/2334246679 .

image.thumb.png.91eddf6a1c0a9a4add39a3b55821a770.png

@dev_imag-ing Thanks for asking! We do CI these branches! This is super helpful to eliminate environmental issues or undocumented assumptions.

I'm unsure if it was a fix in the earlier beta rom or some of the additional updates, but feel free to try the newly updated wave_openxr_xr_origin branch https://github.com/hardcoded2/XR-Interaction-Toolkit-Examples/tree/wave_openxr_xr_origin .
Both the XRI 2.0 support and the sample were beta (with daily updates at the time of writing), so please forgive me for not flagging it as such. The "deprecated" version worked with our wave sdk out of the box at the time it was built and the xr origin showed the proof of concept. These seem to be more fully fleshed out now. 

If you want to try the builds from the latest version of the wave_openxr_xr_origin branch for instance, this is the link I just ran with https://github.com/hardcoded2/XR-Interaction-Toolkit-Examples/actions/runs/2334800536 . 

On 5/6/2022 at 10:57 PM, dev_imag-ing said:

Once built, the WorldInteraction scene does work, but the left controller cannot be rotated, and the right one gets rotated in a weird and inconsistent way, and is located a few meters away from where it should be.

So do I, I'm suffering the same issue as you countered, have you solved this problem?  How did you solve this problem?

On 5/16/2022 at 9:33 PM, Alex_HTC said:

@Hedvik
However, technically we're focused initially on 2020 LTS but I have had success in builds and running with 2021 LTS
With 2021.2.12f1 it seems fine for me, we're building against multiple versions.

Last I checked, it was also building fine on ci on 2020,2021 and 2022. I'm re-running this (since I timed out storing the builds) on  https://github.com/hardcoded2/HelloVR/actions/runs/2334246679 .

image.thumb.png.91eddf6a1c0a9a4add39a3b55821a770.png

I tried it out a bit more and it seems like the interaction profile is only available for the Android platform (which is why I didnt find it initially). Are there any plans for supporting the interaction profile of the Focus 3 with the Windows platform? That way, the Focus 3 would be useable for desktop OpenXR applications through VIVE Business Streaming and SteamVR's OpenXR runtime.

I've been able to get tracking and display to work with the Focus 3 in that context, but it is lacking input support since there is no interaction profile for that platform

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2022 at 8:20 AM, Goldenfish said:

So do I, I'm suffering the same issue as you countered, have you solved this problem?  How did you solve this problem?

@Alex_HTC Hi, are there any news concerning this weird Tracking Problem in Standalone Mode with OpenXR?

Is this compatible with the MRTK? I have an MRTK project that compiles and runs for Oculus Quest with no issue, but when I deploy to the Vive I get a blank screen and no input. The app does appear to be running as I get ADB output, but the app does not show in the app menu.