[PC VR/VBS] VIVE Streaming MR with passthrough

Vivi Wu

Hello,

I also have an issue with this feature. I'm using Unity and for me it works fine for passtrough.
My issue if when the image displayed is 100% VR, when moving the head left to right, i see that the passtrough image is in the background and it gives me some white "screen borders" (possibly asynchronous spacewarp issue ?)
in the video it's SteamVR home but in any custom game made, the border issue is the same.
(sorry for the quality, i have no dedicated "trough the lens" setup)

Best,

Yoirgl

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

We figure out the root cause of incorrect passthrough with UE contents. It is due to the ALPHA value is inverted from UE. We will have solution to identify UE content and correct the ALPHA value accordingly in coming VBS release.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2023 at 10:49 AM, jiunlin said:

Hi there,

We figure out the root cause of incorrect passthrough with UE contents. It is due to the ALPHA value is inverted from UE. We will have solution to identify UE content and correct the ALPHA value accordingly in coming VBS release.

Hello,
Will there be a fix for the passtrough "bleed" on the edge of the screen as well as seen on my video ?
It's important for me to know this as it impacts the viability of my builds.

On 10/19/2023 at 9:49 AM, jiunlin said:

Hi there,

@jiunlin Hi, I'm just testing VBS 1.13.2 with your own passthrough sample in the vive_openxr_sample_2.1.0_UE_5.3 project.

It seems to do the reverse of what it should.

Solid objects (the "floor" actor in the sample) show the passthrough, while the surrounding sphere, where I'd expect to see the passthrough video remains blank. Am I missing something here?

VBS app is 1.0.19.2 on the device. After hitting "A" (enabling the passthrough) the object with grid texture, below, shows the passthrough. This is the opposite of what I'd expect.

image.thumb.png.f23dad809f22dd3766741c56a3097c15.pngss

image.thumb.png.9a4b424fca35111eb78ef0887ffb711b.png

On 10/31/2023 at 5:21 PM, Yoirgl said:

Hello,
Will there be a fix for the passtrough "bleed" on the edge of the screen as well as seen on my video ?
It's important for me to know this as it impacts the viability of my builds.

Hi @Yoirgl

The "bleed" you saw is due to ATW when VBS passthrough mode enabled. In this condition, system will assume the background is passthrough, therefore the original black edge due to ATW will be filled with passthrough. Makes sense to you?

We also support OpenXR HTC passthrough extension, so it can dynamically enable/disable passthrough mode by content.

12 hours ago, jiunlin said:

@bobadiscombobulated In VBS 1.13.2, we identity if current running content is built by UE and do inverted ALPHA handling if yes. However, I am wondering if the identification failed in your case. Did you run in UE Editor? Currently, VBS checks the content files structure for UE identification.

Hey @jiunlin, I actually reverted back to 1.12.8 for now and that seems to work okay (with the appropriate version of app to the device). I have just been running it in editor so far. I haven't tried a build as yet.

With Unreal 5.3.1 I should add.

On 11/8/2023 at 1:56 AM, bobadiscombobulated said:

Hey @jiunlin, I actually reverted back to 1.12.8 for now and that seems to work okay (with the appropriate version of app to the device). I have just been running it in editor so far. I haven't tried a build as yet.

With Unreal 5.3.1 I should add.

thanks for the information, @bobadiscombobulated. We will identify UE editor for inverted ALAPH handling in coming Beta update.

• 1 month later...