Vive Pro audio quality

Madasafish

on Win10 1709 i have driver from 28/09/2017 #10.0.16299.15 and have issues with audio:

sometimes the microphone in the system (win) recording devices does not show the sound level, tried to turn on / off the button on the right earpiece, deleting vive audio driver and reinstal - it does not help. 
in the SteamVr and in the Discord, a suitable recording device is selected. It looks like a driver / firmware problem.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wrote:

I was able to get major improvement using: 

In my case, the speakers were not getting enough power. It now sounds as good as the dulux audio strap....maybe a bit better. It also solved the issues I had with tracking.

I am not giving HTC a pass on this though. This is still crazy sloppy and should have been caught during testing.

I can confirm the vive pro  doesn't have enough power to drive those speakers....

I was able to get major improvement by connecting vive pro - sp1000 DAC - custom earbud lol

I am curious to see what Vive engineers have to say about this. I been following this thread for a while as I also have had issues and tried the fixes. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that there is something wrong at the hardware level.

• 2 weeks later...

It's definitely not a hardware issue.  I posted a new thread before I noticed this one, but it's something in the DSP for the Vive Pro.  Installing a third party equalizer provided plenty of bass, although that introduces compression issues like any third party equalizer will.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I just picked up a Vive Pro, so it might be a newer revision. I can tell you that when the sound driver actually works, the headphones are unquestionably of superior quality to the DAS, and similar max volume levels, so it is not a hardware problem (at least for my revision). I am an audiophile and sound engineer, and I own $5,000+ headphone/amp combos, so I understand good sound. The dynamic range is much wider on these headphones than the DAS, and the bass goes much deeper and cleaner (which can be enjoyed assuming proper positioning of the ear cups).

That being said, the drivers and/or DAC are absolute garbage on the Pro, and I have problems at least 50% of the time with the bitrate dropping dramatically (what people refer to as "crackling"), and sometimes the audio driver just cutting out completely and switching to a different device altogether, requiring a restart. 

In continuation of the distorted audio issue for the displayport, onboard Vive audio device, I recently came across a tip on reddit that actually solved this issue in a satisfactory way. I no longer need to rely on the Nvidia audio device, nor have to deal with its shortcomings (the fact the Nvidia device is constantly disappearing, for example). Now I am able to use the DP "Vive Pro Mutimedia" device without any corruption or distortion.  

Here is a link to the reddit thread. Please also see my comment on that thread for further tips. Maybe it will help you. 

• 1 month later...

I've read all of this thread and tried everything plus hours of searching on net to figure out a way. Any update on fixing Vive Pro audio?

I don't have distorted or tinny audio. The volume is just way too low and there's no bass. Any ETA or update? This is sound quality is totally awful.

I've tried the camera on/off bug, updated every driver, software, tinkerer for hours with Windows sound properties...but nothing increases the volume or provides acceptable bass.