Vive Pro audio quality

Madasafish

wrote:

I too would really like a response to this. I've read so many say they have updated their HMD firmware, but no one has shown any evidence of that actually being the case. You can check by opening SteamVR, and from the menu choose to generate a System Report. Go to devices in that report and you will find a section listing information for your HMD. There is firmware version and dates show. Mine still shows firmware from Feb (so release version). I have yet to get an update notification and all my devices show as up to date to (Vive Pro, controllers, lighthouses). At this point, I am doubting people have actually updated the firmware ON their HMD. But I too would love to confirm that and see if we are missing one. Would anyone who says they did an update, copy paste their HMD information from their System Report so we can compare?

I wish I had done a before and after system report but didn't think of it at the time, so all I have is the "after", like yours, which I posted on page 7 of this thread, and showing the same numbers as yours.

I believe it updated and here is why. Two times since installing Vive Pro I have gone to the FW update function in SteamVR and had it say that there was an update available for the HMD. It doesn't say that all the time, so that leads me to believe it is actually comparing something somewhere. After telling it to update, it seemed to perform a typical FW update process, with a countdown, a "do not disturb or risk bricking" message, and at the end of the countdown Windows made the remove and re-add PnP device noises. I can't prove that bits were actually transferred to the HMD and I can't prove that they were any different than the bits that were there before but it certainly seemed like a typical FW update process. I believe it also ended with a success message after which it no longer said there was an update available.

As for the version numbers showing Feb., I have to agree with you that is suspicious but let me throw in that I recently had an Nvidia GTX 1080 driver update install for the third time with the the same version number.  

Another reason I believe in the update was because they told me do A, B, C and it will improve the sound. I did A, B, C and it improved the sound. Later I found that D and E improved it even more, but still, if A was not needed I don't see why they would have made it part of the procedure.

That is why I believe the firmware was updated. You mileage and faith may vary.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wrote:

I would like to confirm that I have also discovered the camera related issue that someone else had posted in this thread.

I believe there may be something going on when it's switching "audio modes" between the normal one and the one with mics activated during RoomView.

Thanks. That's what I think, too.

wrote:

I've not read every post in this thread, but I haven't seen this "solution" mentioned: press the headphones against your head!

That has been discussed in this thread. Even with that, it doesn't make my Pro rock like the DAS. Even with all these "fixes". It's pretty good though. Doesn't matter. My 30 days have long passed. The only thing that still disappoints me is Audioshield becaue it's MY favorite music at pretty much constant high volume.

p.s. Me fathead too.

This was the first thing that came into my mind when i tried my Vive Pro for the first time. The Spring is now available on thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2896509

The only design flaw with the headphones is the missing pressure that a normal headphone strap would apply against your ears to make the speakers fit tight against your ears. This way most of the air inside is sealed and almost all frequencies can build up the sound pressure they need. Without some sort of spring, the speakers are just to loose and sound pressure (important for lower frequencies) is lost.

Another important thing, when i started my Vive Pro for the first time, i also had the bad audio quality trouble, but then i realized that the Vive Pro is about 4 USB devices in one package (Tracking Sensors, Blutooth Communication, Dual Webcam, Audio Interface) so make sure you connect it to a free powerful USB 3/3.1 controller that doesn't share it's bandwidth with other devices. Now everything sounds fine, i use HDMI audio and the volume buttons are working.

Wow, my respect man! This is what I was looking for. Like in your case, I have no audio issues, I only miss to feel better the bass, like if I'm doing some pressure with my fingers to the headset (And I need them for playing.. :manhappy: )

Many thanks for your contribution.

Thanks for posting back. The only fact I can provide is that I had the vive pro since a few days after release and have yet to get a firmware notification. It came with the version I posted. It could also be that my HMD was a batch that came with the Feb version and yours had one or to versions before? Though, hard to speculate but I've read of people getting update notifications without an actual update being delivered. I just want to rule out mine being out of date, which, so far, mine seems to be the same version as everyone else's.

Just to clarify, I don't recall ever getting a FW update "notification". The only times I've updated have been in response to specific instruction which caused me to go manually check for an update.

If the only thing you're missing is bass, are you aware of the bass boost control in the Windows device properties? It lets you choose frequency and amount of boost.

I just used standard PLA for the first shot. The model itself is still a bit to bulky, so don't expect much flexibility. If i have the time, i will refine the whole design. I already got some ideas...