Vive Pro 2/shimmering edges of right eye.

TheOnlyDoor

3 hours ago, TheOnlyDoor said:

The issue is back and resetting the firmware no longer fixes the right eye artifactng or tearing on Ultra or Extreme settings in the Vive console.

Vive support just wants me to send it back again for another 3 week RMA ordeal. 

I've also read that the Vive series is discontinued. So I'm wary of HTC's commitment to this product anymore. 

Completely Frustrating. 

This is certainly frustrating. My PRO2 has been sent back to the factory for repair and as it stands I don't think they will ever fully fix it. I will continue to report this issue in the hope that it will be brought to the attention of VIVE technical and resolved as soon as possible.

I'm going to lost this on the other topic as well.

Was preparing to ship it back to Vive again, RMA process ready to roll and all but I decided to try one last thing. Although resetting the firmware several times failed to work today like it did yesterday I didn't try reinstalling Nvidia drivers. So I reinstalled the latest Nvidia drivers. 522.25, then rebooted and now the right eye issue is gone again. Playing smooth at Extreme 120 setting with no tearing.

..........sigh

So I'm at a loss. I'm happy either the driver reinstall or system reboot fixes the issue st least temporarily.  I don't know what the catalyst is to trigger the error but I suspect a driver crash or BSOD from somthing unrelated may corrupt the Nvidia drivers.

Anyways Im going to run it a few more days. If the right screen tearing reappears I'll troubleshoot with reboot, followed by driver reinstall then failing that force firmware update on the Vive Pro 2.

If the issue persists beyond that I may send it back.

I'd encourage any other VP2 owners with this issue to test these 3 things and see if it fixes your issue even temporarily.

If not for anything else to help others who land on this thread.

Reply to this topic...
   Quote 2 posts

4 hours ago, 千夏CHIKA_ said:

猜猜看,我在PIMAX社区看到他们谈论右眼屏幕异常,非常类似于PRO2问题,他们也试图通过升级驱动程序来解决这个问题。

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pimax/comments/y4qluy/pimax_8kx_nvidia_driver_versions_right_eye_screen

Pimax engineers solved their right eye failure issue by releasing a new firmware.

https://community.openmr.com/t/pimax-8kx-right-screen-flickering/39470 

On 10/18/2022 at 1:57 AM, DarkPowers said:

I'm also running into this again. I've had soo much trouble with the vive pro 2. I've already RMA'd 3 times. first 2 times were because of this exact issue. 3rd was for buzzing headphones. Now I'm running into this again and it's 30 days out of warranty. Vive wants to charge me for the repair. I'm not going to pay to fix a product that have never properly worked. The first and fourth headset had this start with both eye LCD at the same time. With the second headset it started on the right eye. It looks to me like either the wires in the LCD are degrading or the LCD driver is degrading. seems to be common that it starts at the outer sides and moves inwards? could be the LCD is not mounted properly and stress/strain is causing this? just guessing.

very unhappy with Vive.

PXL_20221015_213256965[1].jpg

So... I'm not the only one experiencing this.. Neat

I'm just done with this headset franky, for me personally it comes and goes and I have no idea what triggers it, I think (hope) it might be software related if I turn off the linkbox without steamvr or because when I put the headset down and it's running with a black screen damaging components, franky it seems useless to send your headset, or it's gonna get worse or they'll send it not working at all, they just don't care, you spend crazy amount of money and they don't even know how to fix the headset...

Today, VIVE's customer service replied to me via email as follows:

The technical department at HTC headquarters is concerned about your issue and is currently working around the clock to resolve this software issue.

Until a newer version of the driver is available, you can try the following methods to resolve the issue.

At least make sure it's a software compatibility issue, if anyone is having the right eye problem again try the solution above.

My PRO2 was tested at the factory and they told me everything was fine, so they have resent it back to me and I will receive it the day after tomorrow and then I will test it myself.

@TheOnlyDoor

With all three headsets it persists for a bit and then starts to fade. I did a test yesterday and turned off the linkbox before exiting steamvr and it cam right back. With the first headset I eventually noticed that it was causing color saturation to degrade. with the current headset I'm realizing it's as if the LCD is getting a voltage spike sent trough it causing instant burn in. so this is a degenerative issue and the more it happens the more it damages the LCD. With the first headset i continued using it for a while and eventually it wouldn't go away.

2 hours ago, DarkPowers said:

With all three headsets it persists for a bit and then starts to fade. I did a test yesterday and turned off the linkbox before exiting steamvr and it cam right back. With the first headset I eventually noticed that it was causing color saturation to degrade. with the current headset I'm realizing it's as if the LCD is getting a voltage spike sent trough it causing instant burn in. so this is a degenerative issue and the more it happens the more it damages the LCD. With the first headset i continued using it for a while and eventually it wouldn't go away.

Yeah, to clarify for thers reading there are 2 different issues being talked about here. The title refers to a screen tearing issue in the right eye LCD that I'd driver/firmware released and can be fixed by force updating firmware or graphic drivers ( even if they are they same version as already installed). The issue re occurs if you have a system crash, driver hang or BSOD. Rinse and repeat the above fix solves the issue temporarily. 

Others on here have an LCD color issue that may be hardware and not software related and has no known fix it seems at the moment other than hardware replacement it seems.