Choppy Preformance with Wirless Adapter

DLSauron

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, that's where the card sits at the moment, I tried to change the speed in the BIOS(from x2 to x4), but both settings have the same effect.

I chose this motherboard specifically because it's equipped with a dual x16 PCIe bridge that allows 2 way sli at x16x16 or four way sli at 8x8x8x8x. I thought it would be a good idea to have as much PCI lane as I could, but now, I wonder if I should have got any other gamer oriented card.

It would be great if we could take stock of all the configs of people that were able to make Wireless Vive work, out of the box or after manipulations. As soon as I have the time, I'll try the following : 

-Test if the Vive Pro operates as expected when wired.

-Move the WiGig controller card on each available slots.

-Install my old GTX 1080 and see what happens.

But it's rather heartbreaking to have to do all this because my previous setup was working just fine, I wanted to upgrade to have even better visuals out of the box, without having to endlessly tweak my setup...

Stand alone is the way of the future, as a controlled environment seems to be a lot more manageable, if we look at what Sony achieved with the PSVR with inferior hardware (they still have better lenses without halo effect and their oled is way better at masking the screen door effect albeit at a much lower res).

Ah well, just venting now... Sorry for the rant... Stuck at work and eager to go home to try and make it work...

Two video with Subnautica on my configuration, SS 100%

(Sorry for Video Quality, recorded in a hurry)

FPS is not always 90, but I can play. No Pixelization.

Here is the new computer configuration:

CPU i7-7820X

ASUS ROG STRIX X299-XE GAMING

RAM 32Gb Quad Channel

MSI 1080Ti

HTC Vive

Windows10 64bit

Yep, that looks consistant with the kind of perf I had before on my 4790K / 1080. Now, with my 2080 ti, I get even worse... I'll try to capture some data, but at 100.0 SS it should be more than just playable but buttery smooth... :-/

What Intel CPUs currently offer more than 16 PCI-E (graphics) lanes? The confusing part for us here is that there's PCI-E lanes dedicated to graphics, of which the CPUs have 16 that can be split into x8/x8, x16, x4/x8, etc. Then there's PCI lanes (PCM?) that are MOTHERBOARD CHIPSET-owned and while they use the same slots as the PCI-E graphics lanes, they don't have the same direct connection (priority) to the CPU and appear to be limited to an aggregate of 4Gbps.

So, if you're running the WiGig card off a PCM lane and have NVMe drives and LAN that's pushing large amounts of data around, you could encounter a bottleneck at times.

Why are WE having to do this homework and not Intel and HTC?

Thanks for the hint about using embedded graphics when broadcasting games! I did not know.

About the number of CPU PCI lines in Intel processors. Here are a few processors with 44 lines.

Max # of PCI Express Lanes

Now we see that there are two types of PC configurations to VIVE Wireless VR.
1. Weak PC. Pixelation. It is impossible to play.
2. Medium PC. No pixelation. It is possible to play. Not all games have 90 fps.

Is there a configuration in which the Vive Wireless Adapter will work fine and show 90 FPS in all games? 

@AlteredRealitiesVRArcade No wonder VR has a rough start... Nobody should have to tinker that way to get acceptable performance. Especially since you have to do it on a per game basis as no solution seems to work for all... Depressing!

Anyways... After some more experimentation, I have finally totally ruled out my WiGig card as the culprit in my system's poor performance.

-I tried to put the card in all other available PCIe slots : No difference

-I removed it and put back the cable : No differences

-I started SubNautica in Pancake mode, changed the resolution from 4K fullscreen to 800x600 windowed, closed it and started back in VR mode back : Acceptable performance. Apparently the game was outputting both to screen and HMD(I mean, not just mirroring the HMD display but actually calculating a different camera)?

-Re-checked the usual benchmarks (VRMark, 3DMark) and confirmed that my system's output is in line with what should be expected of the installed hardware(I think an hardware issue with either CPU, GPU or RAM would have affected those results).

So, what gives??? I still think my system performance is crap in actual VR when it should be a lot better. A wired Vive pro and I still get some reprojection in friggin Beat Saber at SS 2.00 global (default setting in Steam VR properties and confirmed in fpsVR in app)?.

I honnestly don't know how to isolate the issue, but at least I have been able to rule out that the CPU is the bottleneck: My GPU is maxed out when I get crappy FPS while the CPU still is at 50-60% max.

I strongly suspect a software/drivers issue, because in VR Home, and Google Earth VR, performance is perfect(wired or otherwise), and seems to be totally unaffected by the global SS setting. There might be some software paths used by games (Unity, Unreal, Steam VR repro) that upset my config in some way? Not sure how to isolate and correct the issue.

It gets better.. so, I plugged my WiGig card into an ASRock H270M Pro4 board, and no matter where I put that card, the NVidia graphics card slot remained at x16. I had it in Slot 1, and the WiGig in Slot 4 as per https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/H270M%20Pro4/index.asp#Specification and set it to PCIE 3.0 in the UEFI. Either GPU-Z isn't correctly reading the slot speed, which should have dropped to x8, or the UEFI is smart enough to recognize the Intel WiGig card as not being a graphics card, and routes it as PCM traffic instead.

So add another variable to the list - motherboard provider or version. Gorrammit. Either way, the WiGig card isn't going to perform any better on my systems no matter what slot I put it in.