Choppy Preformance with Wirless Adapter

DLSauron

Im having similar issues as everyone else in this thread.  Vive Pro Wired vs Wireless is very different in performance.  Wireless gets a lot of reprojection in complex scenes even when the cpu only at about 80% and gpu at around 90%.  On the performance graph it shows as a lot of late start on cpu when I turn my head to more complex scenes.

System Specs,

i7 5820k @ 4.2ghz (6core\hyperthreading)

16gb Ram Kingston 3000mhz ddr4

RTX 2080ti

EVGA X99 Classified LGA 2011

SSD

I have tried all the common troubleshooing tips mentioned here and on reddit....Tried all PCIE slots.  Making sure they are 3.0 in bios.  Set SS to 100%, I also have a Rift so shut off any oculus software using tray tools, different wireless channels, steam vr beta etc.

Simpler games its fine and not noticeable, but in games like skyrim where I got little to no reprojection when wired I get a lot more frequent when wireless.  Especially if I look at an area that has more detail and lighting.  I love the adapter when it works, but hopefully there can be some software optimiztion that doesnt bog down the cpu as much as it does now. 

I had a gtx 1080 and specifically bought a 2080ti in hopes that it would fix the frequent reprojection I was getting in wireless, but its pretty much the same as before.  Its definately something going on with how the wireless handles the cpu.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. This gives absolutely no sense to me. Please give some ideas here.

I Just purchased the wireless, and after having tested it first with the normal Vive headset while waiting for the Vive Pro Clip, i found it very enjoyable with no stuttering / reprojections or similar, only slight pixelation once in a while.
Was so excited when i moved it to the Vive Pro, but alas, everything was stuttering and 50-80% lost frames.
After reading this and other threads i have tried looking into the following:

- Lowered the supersampling overall from 140% to 100% and even tried 20%. Everything keeps stuttering.

- Checked the CPU load, it was around 35-40% when idling in SteamVR, and never climbed above 80% in game. When i put the headset down it avg. around 45-50% while idle in game with the same stuttering because 50% lost frames while idling
- GPU not above 80%, avg around 50%.

- Tried changing the Wireless channel

- Tried both with and without motion smoothing. Not much of a difference.

- Tried turning off Async Reprojection, via the mirror, which immidiately results in lost frames gets very low, but the picture in the HMD distorts upside down and only shows 180 degrees.

- tried even the simplest of games, like "Keep talking...", although better, I still loose 50% of the frames and have less than 30fps.
- tried wiping the gfx driver and installing latest.

When i look at some of the videos you post calling it "unbearable", i see smooth frames compared to mine. Even on systems with lower CPU/GPU than mine.
What I do not get is that it works fine in the normal Vive, and if I have the Vive Pro set to only 20% supersampling it should be less pixels than the normal Vive.

Any ideas ??

Thinking about upgrading to i9-9700 with a HERO MB as I read some have success with this. (or is 9900 better for this even though it has less cache per thread?)
I have the following:
Win10, I7-6700K@4500 Mhz, 16GB Ram, 1080TI, Gaming-7 mB.

When I read all the people having issues with wireless on the pro my first thought was its too much resolution for the adapter to handle.  However it is very strange that even when the pro resolution is dropped down to same or less than the standard Vive it does not solve the issue. 

I did the same where I dropped ss down all the way on my pro.  The cpu late start and reporojection in complex scenes was same no matter what ss value I had.

So many reports seem to indicate this is mainly an issue on the Vive Pro for some reason.  Hopefully its software issue that can be fixed.  There are people who went out and bought latest and greatest hardware and still have same issues so I would be careful about doing that.  More cores on the cpu do seem to help, but not totally solve the performance issues from the research I have done.

For the people asking about PCI-E lanes.

Standard desktop Intel CPUs only offer 16 PCI-E lanes directly connected to the CPU.
The Intel chipset has many more PCI-E lanes to enable the use of expansion cards such as network cards, audio cards, storage cards, and of course, the wireless adapter's PCI-E card. Chipset PCI-E lanes perform a bit slower than CPU PCI-E lanes, but for most use cases, this performance difference does not matter.

Intel High End Desktop CPUs offer additional CPU PCI-E lanes. These would be CPUs like the socket 2011 i9-9920X.

Did steam vr make an update because I played with the vive wireless tonight and it worked flawlessly on 3 games. Smashbox which always has pixelation. Pavlov which is always buttery smooth. And skyrim which causes pixelated on certain scenes. I was staying between 30 and 50 on cpu. And 50 to 60 and max threads. Will test again tomorrow. Side note for u who haven't played smashbox. Best game in vr.

i've been trying to get my Vive Pro working for months with Wireless with no luck, so last week I realized the onoe thing I didn't try was removing my M.2 drive. So I bought an SSD, took out the M.2 drive, Did yet another clean install of Windows and the Vive software, and my Intel i7 8700K, Z370 Mobo, GTX 1080Ti PC still was just as jittery as ever in wireless. So back again to wired I go.

Volman13n0 - the last SteamVR update I see is Jan 22 but my experience is pretty much the opposite.

This seems like a very annoying / difficult issue to troubleshoot. I have similar specs as

,  Intel i7-8700K 3.7 GHz, Z390 mobo, 16GB RAM, SSD, nvidia RTX 2080. Had the VIVE Pro for about a month and has always worked perfectly with no issues using wireless until about a week or so ago...right around the last SteamVR update.

There have been no changes at all in my physical enviornment, placement of hardware or anything related. Wireless signal shows full. Only changes since then may be video driver and Steam VR updates.

Games that used to run without issue are often choppy and I get periodic freezing or stalled Steam Home loading and general flickering in the display. Not always constant as sometimes will run fine for some minutes then flickering starts again.

I've always hasd one "stubborn" basestation that doesn't seem to get registered when SteamVR is loaded until I move around a little but placement and angles seem to be right on.